Has Surly Lost It's Mojo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Has Surly Lost It's Mojo?

Looking back, Surly always seemed to find that special something that was overlooked or not even on the radar of the big bike companies. So many iconic models that made an impact: the 1x1, Karate Monkey, Crosscheck, Big Dummy, Pugsley, Steamroller, Krampus, etc. But lately, it's been kind of quiet and, well, a bit boring over there in Surlyville. The Midnight Special is cool (although the fork is ugly). The Pack Rat, Lowside, and Bridge Club? Yawn. Nice bikes, but really just variations on a theme.

Maybe they spent too much of their R&D time on the Big Easy. The original Surly dudes would have been perfectly content to haul their beer kegs on the Big Dummy, or strapped precariously to that old Steamroller. But now they are getting old, boring, and lazy. The Big Easy gives boring old suburban dad former bike nuts an excuse to ride instead of taking the Subaru. From "One F***ing Gear" to "F*** it, I'm gonna put a motor on it". That ain't punk rock.

C'mon Surly, prove me wrong. (And while I am ranting, please give us another color for the Straggler - I have a set of QR 29er wheels that would like a home but that "Salmon Candy Red" just looks like regular red that's faded in the sun. Yuck.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bring back the Pacer or something like it. Steel road bike thats just a bike, I don't need disc brakes and all the camping add on's. I'd also like a 1x1 thats geared, I guess the Low Side fits that request however.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I don't disagree, I don't think they've completely lost their mojo, but things haven't been super exciting lately. I feel like they're playing it safe instead of innovating, which is kind of boring.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    hmmmm, as a new owner of a Bridge Club, I have to disagree. I decided what kind of bike I wanted, and then went to look for who made one. Surly was pretty much the only one. About the only criticism I have with the bike is the name. Kind of give the impression that it's something that you ride to the senior center to play bridge vs. "bridging" the gap between trail and gravel, which is what the bike was aimed at. There are a few gravel bikes available with flat bars stuck on them, and a few slack angle mountain bikes with rigid forks, but the BC is hitting a sweet spot in the middle that nobody else has touched. I don't know, maybe they should have put a sticker on it that said "F*** drop bars", or called it the Apocalypse because it's a bike that really can do it all.

mtbr member
    Marketing based on iconoclasm, beer and joints, and salty language can only take you so far if you are not actually making iconoclastic stuff.

They've discontinued a lot of their components as the fixie craze died and Boost cranks and 29+ rims are available off the shelf. All they really have now that's not frame-specific is handlebars and tires, and a few things that haven't been discontinued yet but certainly could be without anyone to miss them

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Some of the original surly dudes (David Gray, Eric Sovern, etc) are gone, and took some mojo with it. There are some other awesome folks there still that have been left with big shoes to fill and they are doing well. But also remember they are part of a much larger machine (QBP) which has to allocate their budgets to the segments with more sales. So Surly as a whole is still kickin', but perhaps without the salty language and joint inspired posting. Those La Croix's don't have the same kick!

The Midnight Special, Bridge Club, Wednesday...all kick ass bikes. Crosscheck is still the perfect commuter all these years later, and the other new kids are selling ok too. I have a feeling they'll come back and surprise again sooner or later.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Iíve been lusting after a Big Fat Dummy lately. Not their newest offering, but certainly not a bike that anyone else has even thought about. The BFD, to me, was their last ďWTF?!Ē bike. But you canít be expected to reinvent bikes every year. Iím sure theyíll be back to confusing people soon enough.

turtles make me hot
    I dig Surly bikes, BUT...

It bugs me to no end that they dropped most of their product line. When I did a custom fat bike build, It HAD to have Surly cranks, rims and tires. In my eyes, Surly paved the fat bike way and any properly done fatty should have Surly parts.
    There is no better sand tire than Big Fat Larry, IMHO. OD crankset was the bomb diggity. No more Clownshoe or Marge. I so hoped the Other Brother Darryl tech would have carried over.
    I keep hoping there will may be be a 27.5 Edna and corresponding rim but the way things have gone lately, I doubt it will ever happen.
    They revamp the Pugs and squash the Rabbit Hole. How now do you make a Krampugs? Ive built a handful of those. Have not done one in some time now.
    I just built myself an Ice Cream Truck and first off, I HAD to have that horrid Prickly Pear taken off and had the frame powder coated.
    A couple that lives on my block approached me and asked about custom fatties with a side of 29+ wheels. For the first time Ill be building a Wednesday and an Ice Cream Truck without full Surly parts. Theyll both get Raceface cranks. The wifes Wednesday is going to get 70mm Alex Blizzerks. Id rather see a tubeless Marge on there. The ICT will get MOBDs. The 29+ wheels are gonna be Raceface Arcs.
    It definitely seems like theyve lost their mojo.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Their current tagline is "Make It Your Own," and their stock builds never seem like a great value compared to other brands where it almost seems like the frame is tossed in for free. So maybe they could go down a path offering custom builds.

This all may be whistling past the graveyard. The bike industry is going to be hit hard by this shutdown, with people saving their cash and shops closed anyhow.

Chicken Master
    They need to make a LHT/DT that can take substantially wider tyres than the current models can do.

mtbr member
    The first legit, mainstream 36er with their own tire and rim? Something in a 2.6-ish size? Theyíd definitely cross-sell those to the unicycle crew.

Or something in the ICT vein, but built around 27.5x3.8 and with a purposefully narrow Q (I know they could do it with a sweet chainstay yoke, 73 BB and 157 rear).

I donít need another MTB, but Iíd buy either of those.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL65 View Post
    Bring back the Pacer or something like it. Steel road bike thats just a bike, I don't need disc brakes and all the camping add on's. I'd also like a 1x1 thats geared, I guess the Low Side fits that request however.
    The Midnight Special has virtually identical geometry to the Pacer. Rim brakes are obsolete.

I disagree with this post entirely. I love my Surly bikes, all three of them. I'd probably have two or three more if I could. I never set out to become such a fan, but they have a great lineup. There are several bikes I would ax from the line: Pugsley, Packrat, Bridge Club, Cross Check, etc., but overall, today's lineup is as innovative as ever. I do hope to see Straggler get some updates to bridge the gap between the Truckers and Midnight Special, but that's hardly a criticism considering the current models.

Even you rim brake fanatics can still get yourself a new Cross Check. Surly is doing just fine.

mtbr member
    Surly used to find ways to pry $$ out of my wallet even when I wasn't interested in another bike right then...I'm talking about you OG Pugsley, OG Krampus and OG Big Dummy. That hasn't happened in a while. I'm going to be selling a bunch of the fleet and the only Surly that has a for sure future is the OG Krampus. I still can't get enough of that bike.

When my GF wanted a steel hardtail I got her a RSD Middlechild. It was better in every way than what I could have gotten her from Surly.

All that said I keep checking the Surly website hoping there will be another new bike that will blow my mind and get me to spend some $$$. It's been a while, but I still have some faith it will happen again.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Refinement is more boring then development.
    QBP is steering the ship towards what is selling and stream lining the product line.

Am I happy with the Surly stuff I have. Yep.

Am I happy that they have not come out with the tandem unicycle. Nope.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I NEED Surly to make a Steel Single Pivot Full Suspension 29er Bike.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    Good Luck. Have a frame builder cut the rear triangle off a Krampus and make it happen.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Good Luck. Have a frame builder cut the rear triangle off a Krampus and make it happen.
    Nope it needs to done by Surly

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nope it needs to done by Surly
    Its the only way to get back the "Mojo" everyone says was lost.

mtbr member
    I wanna KM, and kit it out with a Bafang BBSHD...
    And go zipity doodah...ya
    That be some 1000w Mojo...ya

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I love my newer gen krampus and my gf has a 27.5 bridge club. I love that bike too especially in terms of value and utility. If the BC had thru axles and the same 2.8" clearance but for 29" tires in the l/xl sizes, it would be the perfect 1 bike does all bike for me.

I've followed Surly for awhile but haven't owned any bikes pre a few years ago. If anything, I feel like the other QBP companies have gotten more boring - Salsa, AC (and I love my og AC spacehorse!).

mtbr member
    That would be the Bridge Club.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
    They need to make a LHT/DT that can take substantially wider tyres than the current models can do.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    The Midnight Special has virtually identical geometry to the Pacer. Rim brakes are obsolete.

I disagree with this post entirely. I love my Surly bikes, all three of them. I'd probably have two or three more if I could. I never set out to become such a fan, but they have a great lineup. There are several bikes I would ax from the line: Pugsley, Packrat, Bridge Club, Cross Check, etc., but overall, today's lineup is as innovative as ever. I do hope to see Straggler get some updates to bridge the gap between the Truckers and Midnight Special, but that's hardly a criticism considering the current models.

Even you rim brake fanatics can still get yourself a new Cross Check. Surly is doing just fine.
    The Midnight Special is 650b, so wide tires, I'm undecided about that. I'm not that eager to get a disc bike since my spare wheel sets are rim brake. I do have a cross check and really like it, used to have a Pacer and might have made a mistake when I sold it thats why wish they still had it. I will say I have been looking at the Midnight Special since our roads are getting pretty beat up.

Snow Dog
    I still wish for a Surly BMX bike...a legit 20" freestyle bike...not a 24 or 26" "adult BMX"...

and like Volks, I don't think I will ever find a bike better than the OG Krampus...
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Their bikes are fine. But just fine.
    Iíd agree w/ several posts above that they unique and namesake Surly edge they had has been smoothed out as the original folks bailed or were forced out.
    Now itís more mainstream. Along the lines of those that are more into the image oriented edge of riding.

As far as being useable tools that can do the job? Sure. They work but thereís no way they are worth the $$ we pay. Even at cost they arenít great deals. But they work. Theyíre a known entity for me.
    If our place burns down, Iíd be OK losing almost each of ours. Theyíre just bikes.
    Except the Travelerís Check. Those alone hold a place that I canít easily fill.

Nothing too crazy and nothing too clever.
    Funny color names, crap stickers, six million bottle mounts, soft rear der hangers. Whatís not to like? Or maybe, whatís to like?

But as far as them being surly in anything more than a name? No. They defined their little sliver of the bike world, and now theyíre cursed by that same trucker hat, flannel, bearded, sleeve tattoo, flask carrying, typical outdoorsy type that is so common at the trailheads slurping their IPA.

I shouldnít hit ďpostĒ on this... Itís too late for me to be ranting.

Nite nite.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    The first legit, mainstream 36er with their own tire and rim? Something in a 2.6-ish size? Theyíd definitely cross-sell those to the unicycle crew.
    Well DirtySixer does not have the financial capacity of QBP (to open tire molds for example), but in terms of legit 36er I think having the NBA riding on them is quite legit to me (the founder)... :-) :-) :-)
    DirtySixer Bikes, California
    Big 32er & 36er bikes for tall riders
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    I still wish for a Surly BMX bike...a legit 20" freestyle bike...not a 24 or 26" "adult BMX"...

and like Volks, I don't think I will ever find a bike better than the OG Krampus...
    There are plenty of real, core bmx brands out there. IMO surly should really stay far away from bmx and try and get back to doing what they used to do, innovating and filling voids that people didnít know existed until they saw what surly had to offer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    There are plenty of real, core bmx brands out there. IMO surly should really stay far away from bmx and try and get back to doing what they used to do, innovating and filling voids that people didnít know existed until they saw what surly had to offer.
    This. You can pry my FBM frame from my cold dead hands.

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ this
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidfrench View Post
    Well DirtySixer does not have the financial capacity of QBP (to open tire molds for example), but in terms of legit 36er I think having the NBA riding on them is quite legit to me (the founder)... :-) :-) :-)
    Thatís pretty cool! But you know what Iím saying in terms of legit and mainstream. The tires and rims are everything for kicking off a genre. Surly killed it with the release of the Knard and the Rabbit Hole along with the Krampus.

Not to mention that Iím ďonlyĒ 6í and would like the bike designed for a new kind of dirt riding performance/experience - not because Iím huge and regular bikes donít fit

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    To me, it seems like much of what they've put out over the past half a decade or so (new models and updates), has been focused on updating their lineup with all the incremental changes in standards the bike industry saw through the 2010s (e.g. thru-axles, disc brakes on everything, 650b on everything, tapered headtubes, boost, longlowslack, motors...). I've owned five Surlys through the years. At the moment, I've only got the Straggler, and I have no intentions on replacing it anytime soon. I really hope they are able to push the industry somewhere weird again in the near future.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    How about a new 29.5 tire size?

mtbr member
    IMO they haven't completely lost their mojo, but definitely some of it. Possible causes:

- Too much redundancy in their line-up. No one is going to buy any Surly because they want a razor-sharp lightning fast ultra light super dedicated whatever-bike. Stick to the Swiss Army Knife bike principle a bit more. IMO they could easily cut out at least 1/3 of their model range without disappointing anyone.
    *Who needs the Ogre while the new KM is so awesome?
    *29+ is dead, so ditch the Krampus and ECR. 650B+ / 29" is where it's at right now.
    *Rim brakes are dead, so keep the Straggler and ditch the Cross Check.
    *Pack Rat looks cool and all but what exactly does it do that a Straggler, Midnight Special, Disc Trucker or LHT can't?
    *Pugsley, Wednesday, ICT.... how may different fat bikes do we really need?
    *Etc etc

- Too expensive, especially in Europe.

- Not THAT special anymore among the competition. Genesis and even Kona have comparable (or even cooler) offerings at similar or better prices.

That being said: this morning my new Karate Monkey (in SS 29" setup) had it's maiden ride and daaaaaaamn I love it already, it's everything I was hoping it to be.
    Ride more!

Chicken Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    That would be the Bridge Club.
    Not when one looks at the headtube lengths.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by asphaltdude View Post
    *29+ is dead, so ditch the Krampus and ECR. 650B+ / 29" is where it's at right now.
    I'll try and pretend I didn't hear that.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Didn't intend to offend anyone, but the majority of Krampus owners I know ditched them because they're too sluggish. Only like 6'5" 200lbs + big guys still ride 'em around here.

Do you own a Krampus? What setup and how do you like it?
    Ride more!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Do I own a Krampus? Only the best Krampus ever! (6'3" 215lbs)

Has Surly Lost It's Mojo?-img_5820.jpg

Has Surly Lost It's Mojo?-img_5879-1-.jpg

Has Surly Lost It's Mojo?-img_5864.jpg

Has Surly Lost It's Mojo?-img_5890.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL65 View Post
    The Midnight Special is 650b, so wide tires, I'm undecided about that. I'm not that eager to get a disc bike since my spare wheel sets are rim brake. I do have a cross check and really like it, used to have a Pacer and might have made a mistake when I sold it thats why wish they still had it. I will say I have been looking at the Midnight Special since our roads are getting pretty beat up.
    The Midnight Special complete comes with 650b rims but because of the disc brakes you're not so sure about, it would fit 700c wheels just fine! That said, once you experience wide tires on a road bike, I bet you never ride on a skinny tire again.

I would definitely let them take my money. I doubt they can get it at a price point that fits their brand, though.

Wanna ride bikes?
    If Surly makes a steel FS bike, I'd buy it provided it wasn't too conservative in the geometry department. It needs to be more progressive.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Didn't intend to offend anyone, but the majority of Krampus owners I know ditched them because they're too sluggish. Only like 6'5" 200lbs + big guys still ride 'em around here.
    I'm 6'3" 175lbs and love the krampus. I tried 27.5+ wheels before and like the 29+ platform way better. And now that I live in the desert, plus tires are even better. Feels like the perfect post-covid apocalypse bike. But for sure I'm not riding it to shatter any speed records, nor am I interested.

Out spokin'
    Do I own a Krampus? Only the best Krampus ever! (6'3" 215lbs
    Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! You ain't kiddin', OneSpeed. That thing is hawt like a smokin' girlfriend.

I'm only 1/2" shorter and 5# lighter than you... I'm betting I'll love my soon-to-arrive 29+ machine. (Sorry, it's custom, not Surly. But anyway...)

29+ dead? WHAT?! Please, nobody ever say this again. Nobody. Ever. Again. Please!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Bikesexual

Well, I'm

5'11.5" 160lbs, and love my Krampus.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Well, I'm

5'11.5" 160lbs, and love my Krampus.
    Good to hear, it seems to get a lot of love on this forum, can't imagine 29+ going away anytime soon. I'm about 5'10", just wondering what size Krampus your on?
    Not many around these parts but a shop a few hours away has a Med Purple on the floor. Trying to decide between a Krampus or just building a 29+ wheelset for the Ithaqua.
    '18 Ithaqua, '16 Bucksaw, '14 Mukluk, '07 Enduro

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    Good to hear, it seems to get a lot of love on this forum, can't imagine 29+ going away anytime soon. I'm about 5'10", just wondering what size Krampus your on?
    Not many around these parts but a shop a few hours away has a Med Purple on the floor. Trying to decide between a Krampus or just building a 29+ wheelset for the Ithaqua.
    That's a Large, it really is an awesome bike, maybe at 5'10" you can make the M work?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    That's a Large, it really is an awesome bike, maybe at 5'10" you can make the M work?
    Thanks, Surly site puts me on a medium but curious what owners think, guess a test ride is in order. Thanks again!

mtbr member

I own a Krampus. Love that bike!

I wanted a more modern geo 29+ so I had one made.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Ya. 27+ is dead. I don't have the heart to tell folks with about that yet.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    And singlespeeding is dead, too.

So Surly might as well stop making SS frames!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    It's fizzling for sure. It may have its place, but it's not with aggressive or experienced riders it seems. I've ridden the same bike with both 27+ and 29er wheels on multiple occasions and never once did I like the B+ wheels better. It just does nothing for me.

There's nothing wrong with it though, if it suits your riding style and puts a bigger grin on your face, rock on. You're doing it right.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

turtles make me hot
    I absolutely love my Krampus. I don,t even own a regular 29er any more. If you show up on one of my group,s Sunday morning rides, you,re likely to see four or five Krampuses.
    I like turtles

Snow Dog
    true...and I would not want to throw my hat into the BMX building ring, but a guy can wish...

honestly, I would, and am, just saving for a Lairdframe

LET IT SNOW!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    just saving for a Krampus 4.0
    Fixed
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Snow Dog
    Do I own a Krampus? Only the best Krampus ever! (6'3" 215lbs)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5820.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	316.4 KB 
ID:	1318865

Name:	IMG_5879 (1).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	1318867

Name:	IMG_5864.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	1318869

Name:	IMG_5890.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	1318871
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! You ain't kiddin', OneSpeed. That thing is hawt like a smokin' girlfriend.

I'm only 1/2" shorter and 5# lighter than you... I'm betting I'll love my soon-to-arrive 29+ machine. (Sorry, it's custom, not Surly. But anyway...)

29+ dead? WHAT?! Please, nobody ever say this again. Nobody. Ever. Again. Please!
    =sParty
    29+ is as dead as 26...and I see tons of 26ers still on the trails...

I absolutely love my Krampus. I don,t even own a regular 29er any more. If you show up on one of my group,s Sunday morning rides, you,re likely to see four or five Krampuses.
    hear, hear!!

LET IT SNOW!

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I have to stretch to reach the towering height of 5'3". You giants can't have all the fun!

I love my two Krampus (Krampii?)!
    Long live 29+!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Still good for shorter folks though. Surly could probably combine the Krampus and KM as the same bike and offer 27.5+ on XS-S and 29+ M-XL, call it the "Krampus monkey?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loren90 View Post
    Still good for shorter folks though. Surly could probably combine the Krampus and KM as the same bike and offer 27.5+ on XS-S and 29+ M-XL, call it the "Krampus monkey?"
    Lots of short people on Krampi. Look at the post above yours. So don't change the Krampus just because 27+ is dying out.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    I have to stretch to reach the towering height of 5'3". You giants can't have all the fun!

I love my two Krampus (Krampii?)!
    Long live 29+!
    Thats why they make the b+ Karate Monkey!
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    As this thread continues to grow, Iíll (lightly) amend my thoughts on it.
    Iíd say No, Surly hasnít ďlostĒ itís mojo. But itís in danger of doing so.

And- thereís a fresh Krampus in the bike stand right now. I need to seat the forkís crown race but otherwise itís new and ready to rumble.

Iím not the height of those above but will let you know if I think itís sluggish.
    One riderís sluggish just might be one riderís perfect.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    I love Surly bikes, but also feel my favorite Surlys are the older models. I ride an older Pugsley and an Instigator 1.0 right now. I've had a Krampus, Ogre, and an ECR too, but I'm not into the 29 or 29+ wheels as much. If anything, I think my next Surly will be a Bridge Club. The versatility is through the roof, and I think it would compliment my stable well.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

turtles make me hot
    Im getting a Bridge Club soon as well. I totally dig the Big Fat Dummy and I love that the bike exists. I would love to own one but I have absolutely no use for one.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Surly might be the least expensive way to get hold of a handful of water bottle bolts.
    Damned new Krampus has what? Maybe 20?

But it also has tab brake mounts.
    On the good side- those brake adapters are cheap since nobody much uses them.
    Bad side? Why do I need to source old tech to use current gen brakes?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    Surly might be the least expensive way to get hold of a handful of water bottle bolts.
    Damned new Krampus has what? Maybe 20?
    That's hilarious. When I got my Krampus frameset, I thought wow, I could drop a half pound by changing all of these bolts to aluminum.
    I like turtles

Snow Dog
    That's hilarious. When I got my Krampus frameset, I thought wow, I could drop a half pound by changing all of these bolts to aluminum.
    funny, cause I would be thinking " I can add 50 lbs of gear for the next bike packing trip..."

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    When I ordered my custom bikepacking rig I was asked by the builder if I wanted a million surly-esque mounting points on it. I declined. I'm not paying all that $$ to end up with a rig that pedals like a dump truck. Less is more.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    When I got my Krampus frameset, I thought wow, I could drop a half pound by changing all of these bolts to aluminum.
    I changed all the unused bolts on my KM to nylon ones.
    Ride more!

turtles make me hot
    I changed all the unused bolts on my KM to nylon ones.
    That's an even better idea. The aluminum ones are pricey.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I changed the unused bolts on my Krampus, Wednesday, Straggler, Monkey, and Travelers checks to air.
    Well- not the down and seat tubes.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Some of the early reviews I read mentioned that they didn't have enough, looks like maybe they went a little overboard!

Seems well kitted out for bikepacking now though.

mtbr member
    Companies canít win.
    No matter what they try- some of us find a reason to complain.
    We should change! ďIt was perfect- whyíd you change? Screw you Surly. Sell outs!Ē

We wonít change- itís perfect. ďScrew your Surly! Get with the times.Ē

If you worry that you arenít complaining- donít worry. I probably am. Enough for us both.

But the bike pack world is super tres chic these days.
    Makes the bike like an SUV. Most folks dont need their overly built cars bikes phone cases Jeeps beards.
    But if needed we can all have a human powered BMW GS for our own personal Long Way Around. Even if we never go a long way around.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Doncha hate it when some accurately points out all our flaws?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    Companies canít win.
    No matter what they try- some of us find a reason to complain.
    We should change! ďIt was perfect- whyíd you change? Screw you Surly. Sell outs!Ē

We wonít change- itís perfect. ďScrew your Surly! Get with the times.Ē

If you worry that you arenít complaining- donít worry. I probably am. Enough for us both.

But the bike pack world is super tres chic these days.
    Makes the bike like an SUV. Most folks dont need their overly built cars bikes phone cases Jeeps beards.
    But if needed we can all have a human powered BMW GS for our own personal Long Way Around. Even if we never go a long way around.
    Say what you want but I'm never giving up my overbuilt beard... during the winter. Even though I DO take the long way round.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Good one OneSpeed. Well played.

The funny thing with Surly is-
    I love to make fun of them. (But seriously- their stickers are as frail as their derailleur hangers)
    I really like to make fun of the typical Surly owner. Even if the female version has a beard longer than her shorts (her shorts are short since you donít by an artistic thigh tattoo just to cover it up).

But- somehow I have a small stack of their bikes.
    Their bags
    Their racks.
    And their damned handlebars.

Speaking of lost mojo- has anyone else noticed that their frame bags used to have nice wide front edges? All the better to items into?
    And now their bags are the same width at the front as they are at the back.
    Lost mojo seems to include cost saving sewing patterns too.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I also love my 27.5+ Instigator!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    It is funny the two bikes that I am most interested in are the ones that people seem to be saying to kill off (the Pack Rat and the Lowside).

It seems like at least locally the Bridge Club sells pretty well so I'd be surprised to see that one die.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member
    Whatever version of a rider I am, it's not currently overlapping well w/ most of the industry.
    I don't want more travel (everyone is overbiked these days), don't want a lower BB (since I don't only ride groomed maintained trails), don't need more reach (since I can't turn anyway), have allergic reactions to carbon (too many reasons to list). I could go on.

But- there might be a benefit to wanting the bikes that most don't.
    When you're on the side of the majority, you might be on the wrong side. And all that.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Snow Dog
    my OG Krampus was bringing a TON of mojo to the paved rec trails today....the soccer moms with their RV sized strollers, and the thin wheeled road "bikes" ( ) were all turning heads at the thunderous roar of the Knards on pavement....

since every inch of the dirt trails were under AT LEAST a foot of water...and more rain in the forecast for the next 2 days...ugh

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Rode today. The Straggler. On pavement. Glad to be out and next to the Lady.
    I thought on this a bit.

In the end I decided that I donít care if Surly has lost itís mojo. Or maybe even- Iím glad they did. Or donít have mojo.

Their offerings answer most of the questions my biking has. And? They leave enough left over that I can take them to new places. Well, before the COVID raced across what we know about normal anyway.
    The S&S Coupler version stuffs into a backpack. Goes to new countries. Rides over most everything it needs to.
    The Wednesday rides fat in winter. Come summer it rides 29+. And I hang crap off of it so that I can see the sun come up somewhere new. (And that Gnot Boost or Gnot Fat drop out they use- thatís why the der hanger is soft.)
    The Straggler? It is too much like the Travelerís Check, but itís still pretty great. Not a rocket but pretty sure footed.
    I have an old Monkey as a commuter. Rain/Snow. Fenders. Summer. Gears. SS. Itís perfect for that. Even took it to Scotland and the Faroes for a tour. And it was great. Banged around by luggage folk- and never blinked. Just worked.

And all of them, every one. I can bang it up. See it get all haggard since I parked it like crap against a rock in the desert.
    They get dunked when I have a less than graceful escape from the packraft.
    I can hang bags off of it and see the paint get worn out. Faded. Scuffed.

And who cares? Not me.
    The photo files fill up.
    The sun goes up and down. Sometimes we sleep well and feel lucky to be us. Sometimes itís a long cold rough night until it's coffee time.

These bikes have gotten me to some great places, next to some wonderful people.
    Mojo or not. They've been a great tool for the job.
    There might be better faster lighter (might be? Of course there are...) but I wouldn't trade a traverse of Labrador for something that was a standout at NAHBS.

Has Surly Lost It's Mojo?-7078822e-6b56-43d0-be40-2522aff45c12.jpeg

Has Surly Lost It's Mojo?-4372afb5-cb1c-4580-b612-1e5612cef20e.jpg

Has Surly Lost It's Mojo?-img_0866-1.jpg

Has Surly Lost It's Mojo?-image.jpg
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    "it's" should be "its."

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    ^Well said!

mtbr member
    Perfectly stated, Johnny!
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

Snow Dog
    and with that, proof that Surly has not lost the mojo....end thread?

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Shimano brakes?
    I had a pair of XTR calipers (Ceramic pistons maybe?). Back in 2011 or so. I cracked a piston and was stunned at how easily it happened.
    Just the smallest press and crack.... then the fluid poured out.
    Shimano took care of me but they were fresh out of the box new brakes.

Has Surly Lost It's Mojo?-1b5ae505-be9d-430d-a8af-b52123febe6b.jpeg
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.