mtbr member

Frostbike 2017 and Surly.

Frostbike is coming and I doubt anyone would be surprised if Surly unveiled their new Ogre and ECR. I wonder if anything else will be unveiled.

I'll definitely be rearranging the quiver this year and selling off at least one bike and adding at least one. I've thought of swapping everything over from my BD to a Troll but want to see what else is up. But then there's also been this desire to get a 26" LHT for years and I may just go that route. We'll see. Who knows, maybe I'll swap everything from my Krampus over to a new ECR or Ogre and then build up a SS Krampus. Gotta love Surly's versatility.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Very interested in the Ogre. Hope no gnot-boost garbage, but seems like that's the trend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Very interested in the Ogre. Hope no gnot-boost garbage, but seems like that's the trend.
    I hear ya. I'm pretty sure it'll be like the Troll. I wonder what they'll do with the ECR. I imagine it'll be thru-axle and gnot rite also.

I'd love to see a Surlyish Fargo.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I really don't understand all the hate for Gnot boost, especially for bikes like the Troll/Ogre/ECR. It isn't any different than the in between spacing other models have had for years, just a little wider.

mtbr member
    Completely agree, @Glenngineer,

For that matter, for many years I had a steel mountain bike that was supposed to be 135 spacing, but I'm sure if I had measured it would have been shown to be a very Cross-Checky 132.5 (at most). I always had to slightly pry the dropouts to get the wheel in/out and there was never an issue with shifting nor did the frame ever break.

And I have a gnot-rite 132.5mm Cross-Check now. Works great. Actually seems easier to get my 135 wheels in and out of it than my old mountain bike.

People don't seem to realize how small 1.5mm is (i.e., the per-side flex for gnot-boost), and they don't seem to appreciate how much flexibility that small amount of flex gets you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    They haven't unveiled the new Crosscheck color (Mule Mug) even though it's out in the wild (and pretty awesome). I'm guessing the Big Fat Dummy will be center stage still as they drum up the hype for it.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

lord of my world
    I'd like to see a Disc Trucker with Thru Axles and ability to run 26+, 27.5X2.25, and 700X45. like Crust Bikes Evasion. Something designed for drop bars, not a Troll with drop bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surlywhore View Post
    I'd like to see a Disc Trucker with Thru Axles and ability to run 26+, 27.5X2.25, and 700X45. like Crust Bikes Evasion. Something designed for drop bars, not a Troll with drop bars.
    Yes! I don't care about thru axes and even just a DT that could run ETs would be great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'd love to see this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    I really don't understand all the hate for Gnot boost, especially for bikes like the Troll/Ogre/ECR. It isn't any different than the in between spacing other models have had for years, just a little wider.
    Wasn't the only model the Cross Check? Which I had. Didn't care for the 132.5 spacing. Didn't seem like a big deal at first, but got annoying enough after several wheel installs. Getting it to line up right took a couple of tries. Again, not a huge deal, like that little pebble stuck in your shoe, but annoying enough. I don't like these fence-straddling dropouts. Personally.

mtbr member
    So I guess it's started, any word on new or updated products?

mtbr member
    I will be rolling on the same Wednesday and Pugsley frames as with a few wheel size sets and bar swap out options they can tick all boxes for offered/touring cycling, 26" Fat, 27.5+, 29er, 29+
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    I hear ya. I'm pretty sure it'll be like the Troll. I wonder what they'll do with the ECR. I imagine it'll be thru-axle and gnot rite also.

I'd love to see a Surlyish Fargo.
    like this?
    Frostbike 2017 and Surly.-img_20170208_114143949.jpg

although this one is a half dead monkey wood as it has 29+ up front...

i think the ECR got spared the gnot boots but no more rabbit holes...

i was gnot excited either,then i watched the video on the surly site and thought,"that seems simple enough"...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Looking for Marge Lite 2.0

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    New ogre looks great, and pretty much as expected.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah. I could deal with that. A flat top tube would seal the deal for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Jonesing for news here, ogre can't be the whole story.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    Jonesing for news here, ogre can't be the whole story.
    The rest of the story has been delayed. Supply chains, embargo, strikes, quality control, etc..expect the rest of the story in April or October.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    or next january...

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    just preordered a new Krampus, what are the odds it shows up on time?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    define on time...surly time or hammer time?

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    define on time...surly time or hammer time?
    Eh? Someone say my name?

It's Surly. You buy the ticket and take the ride. Though the wait can be painful....

Last edited by Smithhammer; 02-19-2017 at 09:46 PM.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Bag for 8-pack rack, want!

from radavist:

Frostbike 2017 and Surly.-coolstuffatfrostbike-11-1335x890.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    that is pretty sweet,i hope its not 150 bucks though!

Ambassador of Chub
    I'm guessing that's exactly what it will be. Or maybe $149.99....

Frostbike '17 has come and gone, with precious little juiciness out of Surly it seems.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    maybe they finally got the idea they shouldnt announce new products until they actually have them..i love my surly bikes,but frankly this whole 18 month lead time thing is sort of annoying...

Ambassador of Chub
    maybe they finally got the idea they shouldnt announce new products until they actually have them..i love my surly bikes,but frankly this whole 18 month lead time thing is sort of annoying...
    There's a radical idea. But in fairness, there are a number of other companies in the industry that could learn from that as well. But 18 months is a little ridiculous....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    in fairness to surly and the ridiculous wait times,thus far its proven to be worth the wait...the new 29x2.5 et's look to be a winner,and although they have been out for a while,the stragglecheck frame bags are sweet...

and i admit....i really,really want a purple karate monkey although i already know slacker geo generally means "front end wanders on climbs" and i already have basically the same thing in a 29+ ict and really the last thing i need is another bike shaped black hole to dump money into since i got my first I9 hub and chris king headset so visions of a purple monkey with pink ck headset/bb and custom I9 wheels with pink hubs/purple spokes a nice sus fork up front an xt 1x11 turbine cinch crank absolute black oval holy crap i think i just dropped 4 grand easy!!

Ambassador of Chub
    ....and really the last thing i need is another bike shaped black hole to dump money into since i got my first I9 hub and chris king headset so visions of a purple monkey with pink ck headset/bb and custom I9 wheels with pink hubs/purple spokes a nice sus fork up front an xt 1x11 turbine cinch crank absolute black oval holy crap i think i just dropped 4 grand easy!!
    Haha.....

I'm just hopeful the lack of news about an "updated" ECR means they're leaving well enough alone and not tinkering with perfection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    im still hopeful matterhorns brother will sell me his xl karate monkey frame,i would rather have another classic frame than build up a new bike...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Haha.....

I'm just hopeful the lack of news about an "updated" ECR means they're leaving well enough alone and not tinkering with perfection.
    Trouble is the new recipe Troll/Ogre would work just fine on the ECR and not make it any worse. Non-suspension corrected fork=improvement. Gnot-Boost isn't the worst, might come in handy. Extra braze-ons on the fork can't hurt.

I wouldn't sell mine for any of those changes but if I was a prospective buyer I'd wait and see what happens.

I'd still like it if they ditched the 180mm cranks on the XXL. Likely they'll ditch the XXL like they did on the Ogre. Increased tire clearance in the rear would be welcomed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    im still hopeful matterhorns brother will sell me his xl karate monkey frame,i would rather have another classic frame than build up a new bike...
    We'll see. I'd agree you don't have a lot of need for a new Monkey. Classic Monkey though would be nice--give you the any road and SS mtb version always at the ready.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    We'll see. I'd agree you don't have a lot of need for a new Monkey. Classic Monkey though would be nice--give you the any road and SS mtb version always at the ready.
    i have a bunch of want for a new karate monkey,just not any actual need...if i really wanted a 27.5 ive already seen more than one classic monkey set up that way....and I9 just put out the enduro line of wheels that are only 825 for a set,and i think the shop can get them so 20% off that so around 700...might only take a 2.8 in the back but i think that would still be pretty sweet...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxfixed View Post
    just preordered a new Krampus, what are the odds it shows up on time?
    Tell me more about this preorder...

What's the deal, can any dealer do it?

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Talk to your LBS, tell them to call their rep

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghughes.hesinc View Post
    Tell me more about this preorder...

What's the deal, can any dealer do it?
    I did this with my World Troller, and it went fine. Local shop sells a lot of Surly stuff, told me when the Troller was supposed to be released, I put in an order about 2 weeks prior, and the bike showed up pretty close to when it was supposed to be released. Of course that was about 8 or 10 months after it was announced, but, happily for me, I had missed that announcement and had only learned of the World Troller a month or two before, so it seemed like pretty good turn-around time to me.

But I think the gist is that the closer you are to the projected available date, the more likely the bike will show up on time or close to it, and the less risk involved in placing a pre-order. Although I don't know if there's any real risk, as I imagine you could always cancel an order that didn't come through on time. For my part, it worked perfectly. I think the release date may have been pushed back a few times, but I hadn't known about that. By the time I placed my order, the bike was actually almost ready to ship out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by azer89 View Post
    from radavist:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoolStuffatFrostBike-11-1335x890.jpg 
Views:	1449 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	1122571
    Cool.

I've been waiting for this since the I saw the 24 pack version come out last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasky View Post
    Yep, just as expected. I'm going to have to just try out those new drop outs. But just doesn't sit well with me.

I will probably just end up building up a Pugsley frame as 29+...or the first Gen ECR. I thought after seeing the Ogre, I would be on board 100%, but:

* "Maybe" 27.5+ will fit? What the crap is that? Maybe??
    * V-brake studs. Wish they just got rid of them. I know, versatility. But I can't remember ever having a brake fail. Plus I've got two of them. I don't need 4. Take a cue for the ECR and nix them, please.
    * Availability. Who knows when it's coming.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    27.5+ will fit no problem. I was shocked when I read that. They fit for sure. I saw one a few months back with Scrapers and Ranger 3.0s. Plenty of room.

But...29+ is awesome so Pugs or ECR would still be preferable to me. Avoids the ugly v-brake studs and potentially long wait.

The dropouts are a non-issue at least for short term use. Unlikely you'd ever have a problem though some have wondered about repeated flex/stress.

The dropouts are a non-issue at least for short term use. Unlikely you'd ever have a problem though some have wondered about repeated flex/stress.
    The frame integrity isn't the issue for me. I had a Crosscheck and that was not an issue with numerous wheel installs.

For me, it's partly the added complexity using an adapter for 135mm hubs (I like QR, I like 135, so that's what I plan to use). A part to fail, get lost, etc.

The other part is also due to the adapter, how solid is it going to be kept in place if running SS/IGH?

Lastly, but the most aggravating, is having to keep the wheel aligned while tightening the skewer down. It was really annoying with the Crosscheck, especially SS. Had to keep checking alignment, only to find out after squeezing the dropouts together, it's out of whack. There's probably an art to this, but I don't have the time or desire to master it. Just give me a standard, non-split-the-diff, dropout.

Ambassador of Chub
    Lastly, but the most aggravating, is having to keep the wheel aligned while tightening the skewer down. It was really annoying with the Crosscheck, especially SS. Had to keep checking alignment, only to find out after squeezing the dropouts together, it's out of whack. There's probably an art to this, but I don't have the time or desire to master it. Just give me a standard, non-split-the-diff, dropout.
    Monkey Nuts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The frame integrity isn't the issue for me. I had a Crosscheck and that was not an issue with numerous wheel installs.

For me, it's partly the added complexity using an adapter for 135mm hubs (I like QR, I like 135, so that's what I plan to use). A part to fail, get lost, etc.

The other part is also due to the adapter, how solid is it going to be kept in place if running SS/IGH?

Loud and clear, I'm with ya. I did not take the wheel off the Ogre I saw, it may indeed be a bigger pain than a normal 135 horizontal dropout.

Yep, those work great for geared set ups. Still an issue with SS. Tugnut can be added, but I don't like those, either. Yeah, I'm difficult.

Loud and clear, I'm with ya. I did not take the wheel off the Ogre I saw, it may indeed be a bigger pain than a normal 135 horizontal dropout.
    I hope to try one out soon. Again, may not end up being a big deal. But my dense head just can't accept that it will.

mtbr member
    from radavist:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoolStuffatFrostBike-11-1335x890.jpg 
Views:	1449 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	1122571
    I like that. I want to know more about it. I imagine it'll also work on the 24 Pack Rack just fine.

The Ogre looks good with its expected changes. I like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Tie your rear brake lever with a zip tie something, the brake pads would keep the wheel aligned. No need to ballpark.

Tie your rear brake lever with a zip tie something, the brake pads would keep the wheel aligned. No need to ballpark.
    I think you just presented a solution that's more aggravating than the problem...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    By pulling the brake lever, the brakepads on both sides keep the rims right at the center even when tightening the skewer. It's really easy to do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That assumes brakes are centered and set up properly. And if you know how to do that, then you should pretty much know how to center a wheel in a horizontal dropout.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The 24 pack version is $120, so I'm guessing one Benjamin, though less..say $80ish would be a lot more palatable.

Ambassador of Chub
    Interesting - the dust has settled on Frostbike '17 and I haven't heard a peep about any changes to the existing ECR....

New Straggler colors?

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by marc40a View Post
    The 24 pack version is $120, so I'm guessing one Benjamin, though less..say $80ish would be a lot more palatable.
    My LBS brought a catalog page bacj from the show, and retail will be $100. It is called petite porteur house

Ambassador of Chub
    Any new word on the 8-pack bag, err....."petite porteur house" availability?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Any new word on the 8-pack bag, err....."petite porteur house" availability?
    QBP shows 5/30/17. So July most likely
    Jason

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    QBP shows 5/30/17. So July most likely
    Perfect. Thx.

Ambassador of Chub
    I wants me damn 8-pack bag, Shirley!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I just found an old blog post from bikerumor:
    https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/02/26...rterhouse-bag/

The bag looks awesome!
    Frostbike 2017 and Surly.-01.jpgFrostbike 2017 and Surly.-02.jpgFrostbike 2017 and Surly.-03.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Petite Porteurhouse looks to be available at some online dealers now.

Ambassador of Chub
    Petite Porteurhouse looks to be available at some online dealers now.
    Well hot damn!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i saw them on universal the other day...gonna have to nab one...

mtbr member
    Did you guys see the new colors for the Troll and Straggler? They were unveiled at Saddledrive. They look nice.

Ambassador of Chub
    Petite Porteur House arrived. Sweet bag and built like a Surly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yeah,but will a waxed cotton riding jacket fit? lol

be interested to hear what you think after some busage...

and where did you get your green klampers?

Ambassador of Chub
    yeah,but will a waxed cotton riding jacket fit? lol
    Of course! I feel naked heading out without my waxed cotton armor.

...be interested to hear what you think after some busage...
    For sure. And busage it will receive.

...and where did you get your green klampers?
    Simworks

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ah...bookmarked...damn those things are pricey!!! gotta keep up with the smiths though!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I believe the word that you guys intend here, as coined by the high elves of Rivendell is spelled beausage. Sorta French-ish.
    As in...'Ah mon ami, that's a beauty sausage bucket you got there, time for some beausage, eh?!'.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmonkey View Post
    I believe the word that you guys intend here, as coined by the high elves of Rivendell is spelled beausage. Sorta French-ish.
    As in...'Ah mon ami, that's a beauty sausage bucket you got there, time for some beausage, eh?!'.
    Eggzackly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    endubiously!

i expect to see a moloko bar bag thingy on the ecr soon smith!

Ambassador of Chub
    endubiously!

i expect to see a moloko bar bag thingy on the ecr soon smith!
    Ah hell, now I gotta get a MokokoLoko too?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yah gotta have the succesories ...

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Petite Porteur House arrived. Sweet bag and built like a Surly.
    Got mine as well. Fits very well to a rawland demi porteur rack, and holds two six packs side by side. Look forward to using it commuting and on an upcoming gravel road tour.
    Salsa Marakesh Gravel Touring by jon_baler, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Nice. I broke down and ordered mine this past week. Anxious to receive it.

I don't think I'll be touring with it, but it'll definitely be put into immediate service, commuting.
    Last edited by marc40a; 09-03-2017 at 07:31 AM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Might slap those on my WED once it's running and they are available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Frostbike 2017 and Surly.

Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Looks like a great all rounder.

Wonder why only 60tpi?

mtbr member
    New handlebar:

Handlebars | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

Hmmm... this may go on my Ogre. It also makes me wonder if Surly is getting ready to release some kind of clunker frame...

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I wouldn't mind seeing a 700x45 tubeless version of the ET. But I don't know that it's necessary as there are now a lot of options for 40 to 45 all-road/gravel/monstercross/touring tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i would be happy if the knard 700x41 was actually tubeless ready...but i could see a skinny et as being useful...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Got the Petite Porteur today...

It's funny bc I was looking you guys' pics and wondering "Why are they mounting them horizontally (long side of the bag parallel w the bars)?"

Now, I see that's how it's supposed to be mounted. It makes sense....being able to access the small pockets while riding or unroll the top of the bag while still straddling the bike.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Got the Petite Porteur today...

It's funny bc I was looking you guys' pics and wondering "Why are they mounting them horizontally (long side of the bag parallel w the bars)?"

Now, I see that's how it's supposed to be mounted. It makes sense....being able to access the small pockets while riding or unroll the top of the bag while still straddling the bike.
    It really depends on your rack. My Rawland Demiporteur rack is a wider rack, so horizontal orientation aligns the bag with a rack. If you had a Surly 8 pack rack, it would make sense to orient the other way.

mtbr member
    Interested in that Edna tire!
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.