Freddies Revenz on Large Marge?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Freddies Revenz on Large Marge?

Thinking about getting a pugsly, but I will need to run studded tires for my specific purpose. The biggest studded tire available, the Nokian Freddies Revenz (2.3?), is right at the bottom end of the recommeded tire size range for the Large Marge rim. Does anybody run this combo, or know if it will work OK? Thanks-

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bone yard
    Thinking about getting a pugsly, but I will need to run studded tires for my specific purpose. The biggest studded tire available, the Nokian Freddies Revenz (2.3?), is right at the bottom end of the recommeded tire size range for the Large Marge rim. Does anybody run this combo, or know if it will work OK? Thanks-
    I'm sure it would work without too much of a problem. I'm not sure of the need for the pugs in your particular application, though. If you need studded tires, then you're riding on ice, and not snow. For that application, I'd just get a wide width mtb rim. If you're looking for snow riding, on the other hand, ditch the studded tires and get a pugs!

Chris

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the reply. Have you seen a 2.3 mounted on the Large Marge? Mostly I'm wondering how a relatively narrow tire would look/ act on such a wide rim, I've only seen them mounted with the Endomorphs.

I would get a set of non studded wider tires for snow rides as well, not just run the studs exclusively. I just think it would be fun to have a pugsly, plus a wider studded tire for rides that are a mixture of ice and soft snow, which I see a lot of. But if I cant really run the 2.3 studded tires on it, I might look elsewhere for this next frame.

Devo
    I'd post this question to the Alaska forum. those guys have all sorts of Phat bike knowledge.
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

No, that's not phonetic
    I've done it. The Freddies get spread out pretty flat. The rim sidewalls almost stick out farther than the tire's sidewalls! There is not much height to the tire when all is said and done and you need to run much higher pressures than you would with an Endomorph to keep the rim from contacting the ground. I prefer to put the Freddies on a normal bike for icy days and ride the Pugs when it is mainly snow out. That's why I have not run the Marge/Freddies combo much.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

No, that's not phonetic
    Here, I'll be a nice guy and post some pics...

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Another option is to make your own studded tires. I have had good luck using the WTB Timberwolf Race which comes in up to a 2.7. These will hook up better than Nokians, but you won't be able to run them on the road at all.

Members who have read this thread: 0