Feel free to "Chime In"- Mtbr.com
    Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

New question here. Feel free to "Chime In"

Ok there's been a lot of "watercooler" talk about how great the Endomorph tires float and handle. I agree they ride sooo nice!! Here's the catch though, I don't own a Pugsley, I borrowed one. I own a 1x1, and would love to be able to find a tire that has a similar tread pattern, in about a 2.35-2.5" width that has similar benefits.

Link:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post1675858

I've already tried Continentals, Michelins, and Hutchinsons. Any suggestions??

Alaska Crew? Anyone...Anyone? Beuler, Ferris Beuler??

Don't bug Shiggy, already asked.

Thanks!

Obi..

mtbr member

here's what I did

3.0 Nokian's
    Attached Images Attached Images

Flyin Canine
    Brand new wtb 2.55 lt weirwolf. weighs in at only 770 grams low profile knobs for low rolling resiatance. Huge volume. I saw some at a bike shop in san jose last week. They are not on the website yet but some shops will have a pic of them in the 06 catalog.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    You rephrased your question.

IMO it is not the (just) tread pattern of the Endo that gives it the handling and ride characteristics you want.

It is the volume of the tire and the relatively thin supple casing. A lower volume tire will not perform the same. Even a 2-5-2.6" tire is probably half the volume of the Endo.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Yeah, thanks Shane...

Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Brand new wtb 2.55 lt weirwolf. weighs in at only 770 grams low profile knobs for low rolling resiatance. Huge volume. I saw some at a bike shop in san jose last week. They are not on the website yet but some shops will have a pic of them in the 06 catalog.
    I thought of those too, even thought to see if Charles or Lars is gonna stock them. Let me know who's rolling them that we know so I can borrow a ride for a short spin.

p.s. Check your pm's about Thursday afternoon.

Flyin Canine
    Lars has both the team FR and the race in stock. Charles said he should have some in by Friday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    You rephrased your question.
    IMO it is not the (just) tread pattern of the Endo that gives it the handling and ride characteristics you want.
    It is the volume of the tire and the relatively thin supple casing. A lower volume tire will not perform the same. Even a 2-5-2.6" tire is probably half the volume of the Endo.
    A quick calculation. The cross sectional area of the tire is directly related to the "volume" and is probably what most people are actually refering to when they talk about a tires volume. Cross sectional are is Pi x r ^ 2. Given a 2.55" tire and 3.7" Endomorph the cross sectional area is 5.1 sq in and 10.75 sq in respectively.
    I think its pretty safe to say the Endomorph is twice the size of any other XC tire. Even the Nokian 3.0 DH tire only has a cross section of 7.0 sq in.
    Craig

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    On a side note, does anyone know if the large marge/ gazzaloddi combination works ok in the snow, or is it barely better than a wide rim/ 2.5 ish tire combo?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbymojo
    On a side note, does anyone know if the large marge/ gazzaloddi combination works ok in the snow, or is it barely better than a wide rim/ 2.5 ish tire combo?
    Which Gazzaloddi? 2.1, 2.3, 2.6, 3.0
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbymojo
    I'd call it very effective in the snow. Far more so than a 2.5 on a "wide" rim. The Marge/Endomorph is faster rolling, lighter, and offers a bit more float, but it does give up some traction due to the minimal tread. Here's my current snow bike after pilfering parts off my Pugs (which I will put back together soon).

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Baked Alaskan
    only on an endo, a freestanding mtb, gotta love it!!!!!
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Which Gazzaloddi? 2.1, 2.3, 2.6, 3.0

Sorry, I meant the 3.0 gazzaloddi. I believe its the widest tire that will fit on my 1x1. I am either going to run 2.7 timberwolfs on sun doublewides, or 3.0 gazzaloddis on large marges. The second option is more expensive, so Im wondering if its worth the extra money?

p.s., sorry for the thread hijacking.

mtbr member
    I used the Weirwolf 2.5s on my 1x1 in the Arrowhead 135 and they were great. Sure I think the guys on the Endos had the advantage but I had reasonable float plus plenty of control on downhills. Hookup on uphills was a problem when standing and pedaling. Often I just got off and walked. I'd suggest trying the Weirwolf 2.55 LTs they're lighter and have a lower tread height so are more like the Endos. The Gazzi 3.0s are good for traction and float, but just plain heavy. For an endurance type event I'd go with something lighter, but as big as your frame will handle (in extreme cold snow buildup isn't much of a problem).

Members who have read this thread: 0