mtbr member

Drop bars on an Ogre?

I know many have done it, but wanted to hear some more specific feedback on how well you like your drop bar Ogre or Karate Monkey vs. a standard mountain setup? Any drawbacks or regrets? I'm flirting with the idea of setting up my Ogre to run drop bars or mountain bars.

My Ogre cockpit is currently set up as a mountain rig with a focus toward gravel riding:

- a minor rise Thomson stem (5 degree I think)
    - a 1" rise mountain bar
    - barends
    - aero bars clamped to a Fred Bar (Review: Fred Bar - Bikepacker)

My drivetrain is an Alfine 8 with a single chainring using the Alfine rapidfire shifter. I have an Origin8 Gary (or Gary2) bar in the garage. The Alfine shifter offers some challenges. The shifter's clamp does not hinge so I will either need to see if I can force it around the bends of the drop bar (probably not advised) or mount something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005YP5B2I...OM0TKK1K&psc=1. I saw a pic somewhere where someone had this setup (drop bar, IGH, and this adapter with shifter) and while not ideal or the cleanest arrangement, it worked. If I can get my hands on a JTEK bar end shifter, that would be a more expensive but cleaner option.

I like where my hands are positioned now so to obtain a setup that is pretty close, I may need to invest in a different stem, some spacers, and possibly remove the Fred Bar/aero bars. I'm going to need drop bar brake levers for MTN BB7s as well. But before I start buying new parts, I wanted to know if people were still happy with a drop bar setup on this frame? I would probably go a step further and get some travel frame cable couplers (Cable splitters for S&S Coupled travel bikes) so that switching between mountain cockpit to dropbar cockpit is relatively simple. I bought the Ogre to be my "swiss army" bike, and finances do not allow for another dedicated rig, so I want to see if I can make the Ogre fill multiple roles.

Thanks!
    Ventana El Rey - 3x9
    Schwinn High Plains w/ drop bars - 3x8
    Surly Ogre - Alfine 8/SS

mtbr member
    MTB diameter shifters are problematic with drop bars.

The SOMA Gator bar has MTB diameter drop sections with road diameter ramps to fit either road or MTB levers.

You could also use a problem solvers light holder for the shifter.