Cross Check - Singlespeed Wheel Slip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Cross Check - Singlespeed Wheel Slip

I have a geared cross check. I am thinking of changing this to singlespeed by using spacers and a single cog onto a Shimano freehub.

How can I stop the front wheel from slipping forward in the dropouts under load?

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridders
    I have a geared cross check. I am thinking of changing this to singlespeed by using spacers and a single cog onto a Shimano freehub.

How can I stop the front wheel from slipping forward in the dropouts under load?

front wheel???

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

D'oh

Spot the obvious mistake! Rear wheel....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Cob up a chain tug. You may end up needing to grind some stuff off the tug, and it won't look sweet. But it'll be functional. Just set up the chain tug same as you would if the bike had rear facing dropouts. It'll work. Be creative.
    My tapeworm tells me what to do.

lord of my world
    If you are running a Shimano hub switch out the QR axle for a bolt on. Slows down tire changes but, the axle won't slip and you don't have to run ugly chain tugs.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by surlywhore
    If you are running a Shimano hub switch out the QR axle for a bolt on. Slows down tire changes but, the axle won't slip and you don't have to run ugly chain tugs.
    Ditto that. Tugs won't work for your type of forward facing dropouts. An axle shouldn't run more than around $20.00, and might even be available in a hollow design to save some weight over a solid one. Let us know what you do, in fact, might make a good conversion article for in here.(Hint-Hint)

Obi..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I won't beat this solution into the ground.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=23612&password=&sort=1&cat=500 &page=1
    My tapeworm tells me what to do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I had the same problem. I just used a Surly Tugnut. I just tightened it up against the back of the drop outs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have an old trek 760 road bike set up as a singlespeed. It too has forward facing horizontal dropouts (campagnolo). In fact this is the second bike I've had like this. I run it with a QR on an old Dura-Ace hub with spacers. No slippage problems at all. You just really have to clamp it pretty tight. This bike is mostly my commuter, but I've also done 60+ mile rides on it with no problems... Just don't use a fancy QR skewer. The old heavy steel kind is what you need.
    Edit: I should also mention I'm a really big dude (6'5", 250) and I'm running a 40x15 gear...

mtbr member
    I "second the motion" to change a Shimano (or any cone bearing hub) to a bolt-on axle. I have done that with a couple Shimano hubs and it works well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What keeps your geared wheel from slipping forward in the dropouts?
    The forces on a geared wheel can be even worse than a SS wheel. So if it works for your geared wheel it will work for your SS wheel. I run an old touring bike with similar dropouts as a fixie without any problems. I perfer a bolt on wheel but you really don't have to change anything just crank down the tension on your QR.
    Craig

Members who have read this thread: 0