Cross check - Rear Brake Hanger is too short- Mtbr.com
    hjuha19010

Cross check - Rear Brake Hanger is too short

I am just trying to improve the breaking on my Cross Check.

I am running the Paul Neo retro Cantis on the bike. The setup works, but is not optimal. The rear brake hanger (coming off the seat clamp) that comes with the Surly is too short and forces you to put a severe bend in the cable housing. Braking suffers as a result.

has anyone figured out a way to better route the cable. Is there a longer hanger that I can buy?

I uploaded an image I found on the web. I will try to get a close up picture of my bike. But the picture shows the routing of the housing as it comes up and around the seatpost. The problem with the picture is that the housing is sitting in the hanger at a bad angle.

I did talk with Surly. They recognize the issue. My LBS told me that the Surly was designed as a swiss army of bicycles. Putting a bridge on the back was one option that they considered and did not implement. Maybe they will do it in the future.

Thank you for the feedback. I know that this is not a big deal, but I want to see if I can improve the lever braking action. My LBS also told me that I should focus more on the front braking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hjuha19010; 04-28-2006 at 02:50 PM. Reason: adding picture

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Post a pic, so I can "see" what you mean...

Post a pic, and I'll see if I can help with a solution/suggestion.

Obi..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I had the same issue- it took a very careful cable length cut to get it right- Ill post a pic to show you

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Bingo...

Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    I had the same issue- it took a very careful cable length cut to get it right- Ill post a pic to show you
    My thoughts exactly, thus the picture request. Note though, what's referred to is in fact, the housing, not the cable length.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have found the hanger it self to be the problem, and not the cable routing. The hanger is not fixed, so when the brake is applied the hanger pulls to one side. Other than a brazed on hanger the simplest fix is to use v-brakes and do away with the hanger completely. This cured my Cross-Check rear brake problems straight away. Why Surly never fitted a brazed on rear hanger is a topic for another thread, maybe Obionespeed could find out why?

Regards James.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sweet brakes! I've got the Neo front/Touring rear on my K. Monkey. Using 2 finger XT canti levers. My hanger is with the cable slot towards the rear and my housing goes up and around the seatpost collar going only as high as the collar. I can lock up the rear tire with one finger. The bend is slightly excessive, but once dialed in and with light cable lube it's pretty darn smooth. Make sure you get a quality cut at the ends of the cable housing too.
    My tapeworm tells me what to do.

hjuha19010

Picture and additional information added

I have added some more information.

thank you

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    My thoughts exactly, thus the picture request. Note though, what's referred to is in fact, the housing, not the cable length.
    Yep- exactly what I meant.....thanks for the assist!!!

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Try this...

Undo the seatpost clamp, after measuring the tolerances around the free hanging hanger, buisness cards will do. Add a/some thin washer(s) to take up some of the slack, but not enough as to cause binding or inability to close the seatclamp properly. This might help solve it. (Tried this today on a bike, and it seemed to work decent.)

As far as why it's not on the frame? Couldn't tell you, and wouldn't want to ask too many questions. My choice for this situation (on another bike, a LHT) was a set of shorty-v's, not as long as a standard mtb style. Plenty strong, looked clean, and easy to adjust.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OFSFrank
    Sweet brakes! I've got the Neo front/Touring rear on my K. Monkey. Using 2 finger XT canti levers. My hanger is with the cable slot towards the rear and my housing goes up and around the seatpost collar going only as high as the collar. I can lock up the rear tire with one finger. The bend is slightly excessive, but once dialed in and with light cable lube it's pretty darn smooth. Make sure you get a quality cut at the ends of the cable housing too.
    Could you post a picture of how you've got yours set up? My rear brake is pretty useless and would love a way to improve the performance.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Perhaps it's the brakes your running? I'm running some of the last generation LX canti's and they work far better then the V's with adapters I had on there in the beginning. The other thing I found was to actualy make that stretch of housing longer to make the bend easier? doesn't really make sense now that I said it but the pic might show it try to imagine it without all the crap.

Members who have read this thread: 0