mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Cross Check fork/sizing question. Carbon?

Hi guys. So I bought a used Cross Check online and was pretty sure a 52 would fit. And it does mostly. It can feel a tad small sometimes when I start obsessing over it. Anyways I think the original owner cut the fork down. I was thinking that if I threw on a new uncut fork I could set my stem higher and improve the fit. As you see in the pic the bars are lower than my saddle height. With the new fork for I could get the stem on the same level as the saddle and help reduce weight on my hands and be more comfortable.

Does that make sense? Riding the bike as pictured feels OK mostly, but I've never had a setup with the bars so low compared to the saddle. Is that not ideal or does anyone run there bikes like this on purpose?

Do you run you bars lower than saddle or bars and saddle level?

Other option is finding a new larger frame and swapping parts. But that sounds like a more expensive and time consuming idea considering I think I just want the bars to be higher for the better fit.

Lastly, since I was thinking of getting a new fork, I am assuming I can only get a black fork directly from Surly? Do they offer any olors? And since I am cool with a black fork on orange frame, why not consider a carbon fork? I do not want to change geo on the bike however. Are there any recommendations on what carbon forks work best on the CC??

Any help would be appreciated.

And why is this upside down?
    Cross Check fork/sizing question. Carbon?-20170126_103758.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check fork/sizing question. Carbon?-20170126_103806.jpg  

Cross Check fork/sizing question. Carbon?-20170126_103815.jpg  

mtbr member
    You've got a flat bar and a long stem and quite a bit of seat post showing. This all points to the frame being on the small side for you. But if you want to try to make it work, you could try any of the following:

- install a stem with more rise
    - install a riser handle bar
    - install a new fork with a longer steerer, as you suggested. Surly will only sell you a black one. Carbon would work, but you should match up the axle to crown length. The Nashbar 'cross fork would work, for starters. Keep in mind that most carbon forks have a limit on how much steerer can be left uncut.
    - install a bolt on stem riser. This is by far the dorkiest option.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    You've got a flat bar and a long stem and quite a bit of seat post showing. This all points to the frame being on the small side for you. But if you want to try to make it work, you could try any of the following:

- install a stem with more rise
    - install a riser handle bar
    - install a new fork with a longer steerer, as you suggested. Surly will only sell you a black one. Carbon would work, but you should match up the axle to crown length. The Nashbar 'cross fork would work, for starters. Keep in mind that most carbon forks have a limit on how much steerer can be left uncut.
    - install a bolt on stem riser. This is by far the dorkiest option.
    Thanks. Great input. I'm thinking I'll just start looking for new frame.

mtbr member
    I've owned a Cross Check for about a decade now and have struggled with the same issues. Seems like the short head tube is a common complaint.

Remember that drop bars will add a lot more reach to your cockpit than a flat bar, though with a short steerer, you'll still be dealing with a saddle-to-bar drop that might be less than ideal.

I'll probably be selling my CC soon; I replaced it with an Ogre about a year ago and have barely ridden it since.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Cross Check fork/sizing question. Carbon?-20170127_181805.jpgCross Check fork/sizing question. Carbon?-20170127_181809.jpgCross Check fork/sizing question. Carbon?-imag2267.jpg

OK
    First thing first. That was a pic of my LHT. It was a 52 and I loved the fit. Not sure if it the dropper that made everything work? This is the reason I wen twitch the 52 CC.

Second, I tried a riser bar I had kicking aroun in my garage. 25mm rise. Felt good during my short ride. Not a fan of the color. Could consider a 25 or 30mm rise bar?

Another option: I reached out to Surly. They have an orange fork I could order giving me more steerer tube. I think a fork is like $100 plus tax.

So Far ordering a riser sounds like the cheapest option. Ordering a new fork MIGHT work, but a bit costly.

What would happen if I went with drops? I'd mostly be on the hoods, so wood that raise the height equal to a riser bar?

And if the drops add reach, I do have a 70mm thomson stemI could throw on. My bike currently has a 110mm.

I'd hate to order the stuff for drop setup and still not have it dialed.