Cross Check crank/gearing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Cross Check crank/gearing

I'm planning on building up a singlespeed cross check as my do it all rig; commuting, singletrack, road, etc. I was wondering what would be a good crank for me to use and how should I gear it. I would really love to hear how you guys ride your cross checks and how you have them set up.
    Thanks
    Last edited by LaxFactor; 10-09-2006 at 04:59 AM. Reason: forgot to say singlespeed

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    On the road a 42T ring works well for most. It is pretty unusual to ride road and singletrack efficiently in the same gear. I'd keep a 34 or 36 T on hand to switch to for true trail riding. Just have two masterlink chains on hand sized and ready to go for the switch and you may or may not have to adjust your brake pads with the switch. I like an old school 110 BCD square taper crank like Sugino's XD 700.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonracerrichie
    On the road a 42T ring works well for most. It is pretty unusual to ride road and singletrack efficiently in the same gear. I'd keep a 34 or 36 T on hand to switch to for true trail riding. Just have two masterlink chains on hand sized and ready to go for the switch and you may or may not have to adjust your brake pads with the switch. I like an old school 110 BCD square taper crank like Sugino's XD 700.

Yeah, old suginos nice, even the new ones are fine... I have old ritcheys on mine, verry low profile and made by sugino IIRC

mtbr member
    It's not my Crosscheck, but I have an old Diamondback Apex I use mostly for commuting and maybe a little easy trail on the commute. I bring it up because I use it in the same way you describe. With 2" tires I run 42x18 gearing, which works out to about 61 gear inches. It's a nice pavement gear as long as I am not in a huge rush; about 15mph is easy to maintain and maybe maintain 18mph if I want to spin a little. I did one single speed race on it over a fast trail with some short, steep climbs. Anything resembling steep I had to walk.

If you go with a smaller tire (like 30mm) 42x18 would give about the same gear inch. At least for around here (southeast Michigan...we actually have some hills here despite what you may think) and my fitness, which is not too bad, this is a good comprimise gear for doing everything. It's not perfect but it's fairly versatile.

I use a square taper Shimano Sora road crank I had laying around. 42t rings are easy to find in the 130 BCD road size since that is one of the "standard" road ring sizes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    39x16 for commuting, 39x18 for cross racing...35mm tires..and I have a 1.3 mile 900 vertical foot (about 8 percent average) climb on my commute...I dont always make it

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    I ride 44x17 with 37c slicks on roads. Great gear for flats and slight up and down hills. True climbs are squat workouts and if treated as such go rather well in my nutty experience. On trails I plan on running a bit and go to 38x17 or 38x18. I ride road about 95% of the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I currently run Sugino RD cranks with the stock 48t ring up front and just purchased a white industries Dos Eno two speed freewheel in the 19/17 flavor. I currently run an ACS 20t in the rear and finally decided it was too easy. The plan is to move to a 44t ring up front and run the 17 in the back , and have the 19 in reserve just in case. I'll post a followup when its done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks alot, you guys have helped alot. Now its just a waiting game until christmasish, hopefully I'll find something to occupy my mind outside of this bike until then.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Also, I was planning on putting a track cog on the other side of the hub. How should the track cog compare to the freewheel as far as size?

Members who have read this thread: 0