Cable stops for Downtube bosses. Cross-check- Mtbr.com
    Demon Cleaner

Cable stops for Downtube bosses. Cross-check

I'm trying to run 9-speed pod shifters on my Cross-check. However, the frame does not have cable stops on the downtube. Instead it has shifter bosses. Having done some forum searching and Googling, it seems Surly makes Cross-checks both ways. More recently with shifter bosses instead of cable guides. So who else faces this trouble? How did you solve it?

I couple of folks on the picture my bike thread seem to have mounted adapters onto the downtube shifter bosses, but I'm not sure where they found these. The fame vendor doesn't have them. Surly doesn't list them on their website.

And yes, I have emailed Surly. Hopefully, I'll hear something come Monday or Tuesday. I just wanted to solicit the collective knowledge here too.

thanks
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

Demon Cleaner

Solved, I guess

Ordered some Shimano cable stops from Harris Cyclery. They are supposed to bolt onto the bosses. There were also some for sale on Ebay.

I really don't understand Surly on this one....if they have to put downtube bosses the least they could do is throw in some cheap cable stop mounts.

mtbr member

Usually not provided with framesets

Framesets with downtube bosses are usually sold without the stops. I've purchased at least 6 framesets with bosses in the last 15 years & none came with stops. Shifter sets for road bikes, like bar ends or brifters, usually provide them.

However, it would be nice if frames with bosses were provided with stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Structure
    I really don't understand Surly on this one....if they have to put downtube bosses the least they could do is throw in some cheap cable stop mounts.

You gonna ride that?

Demon Cleaner

I'm sure you are right.

Thanks for the help. I think it was about expectations. I expected braze-on cable stops. The picture of the Cross-check had braze-on cable stops and no downtube shifter bosses sooooo I mistakenly expected cable stops. Ho hum. Not a big deal I'd probably have bought the Cross-check anyway. And it wasn't hard to find cable stops for my downtube bosses. Just couldn't get 'em locally.

Education isn't free.

Members who have read this thread: 2