Thread: Big Fat Dummy!

mtbr member
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Whooaa! Was pondering my next move which was going to be either Wednesday or 1x1, both with multiple wheelsets. This could be a game changer.

mtbr member
    I'm impressed with much about the BFD but I can't see getting one for a number of reasons, least of which will be cost. While the price isn't posted, I imagine it'll be at least $3K. I'll likely look towards updating my BD. Still, can't wait to see where some of you knuckleheads will go on your BFD.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Looks like price is $2950 complete and $1600 frame, bags and other small bits.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Still saving up for marge lite wheelset for my pug

Did I catch a niner+?

This was released at the Freewheel Bike Midtown Bike Expo today, we were able to speak with Product Manager Adam from Surly about it and ask really anything. I was also able to take it on an extensive ride and really really liked it. The bike handled like my Ogre really. I did not even notice it was a long tail. Very easy to make a U-Turn.

What I do know:
    Has a mount for a kickstand on the non-drive side, I do not know if this was standard on the original.
    The green is the production color.
    The gearing is 2x10, can be run with 11 speed if wanted.
    197mm rear spaced thru axle, has an adapter to run 190 QR if wanted
    The dropout is non tension standard drop out so all you have to do is loosen a QR or bolts to drop the wheel out if the bags were loaded
    The top deck is wider, I'd say a lot wider. It will fit the standard accessories that mount to the top.
    It will not fit wide loaders at this time, the rear end is too wide for them I was told.
    Will fit all tire sizes up to 5in width and from the pictures Adam's personal bike had 29 dirt wizards.
    The big is torsionally stiffer than the standard big dummy due to different tubes.
    There are no motor options at this time when I asked.
    BB is higher.
    The price posted above is confirmed.
    Will come with larry and nate, reasoning for this was if someone wanted it more road they could replace one tire if more off road again replace one tire.

Another piece of info I was given was the new standard big dummy will get a lot of these upgrades next year, so it will have anything mount cage options on the fork.

And in other bike news I was told the ECR is getting a complete makeover and and a new trailer is being made with a telescoping attachment to adjust its length (2 years out).
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the pics and info!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    It's crazy awesome, release is a bit lame IMO.

Too bad it's not available pre-winter, that's the only reason I'd get silly and think hard on affording one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    Another piece of info I was given was the new standard big dummy will get a lot of these upgrades next year, so it will have anything mount cage options on the fork.

And in other bike news I was told the ECR is getting a complete makeover and and a new trailer is being made with a telescoping attachment to adjust its length (2 years out).
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully the new BD fork will work with current BDs. I'd get one just for the mounts. If it could clear a 3" Knard in the rear with no chain rub would be awesome. I was out yesterday on my BD with ETs and certainly felt like I had all the cush I needed.

Not the least bit surprised about the ECR makeover.

Any mention of the Dummy Hitch working with the BFD? I'm just kidding but you know someone will want to do it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It's just a Wednesday fork. Dummy hitch won't work, as the spacing is longer.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Did I catch a niner+?
    That reminds me. The fork on the standard dummy would be the new troll fork so it would be non-suspension corrected.

mtbr member
    Am I the only one considering a Rohloff hub for this beast? Initial measurements say it should work or is very, very close. Have been running Rohloff/CS/BFL combination on my Moonlander for 4.5 years now and LOVE it! So much so, I am not sure I would enjoy any other drivetrain for my interests.

Thinking of doing a XXL/Clown Shoe and a SON28-15/Clown Shoe up front on 4.8" tire (currently undecided but would likely start with BFL's). Gunna be expensive, but I'd rather ride that wrench.

Put my name down for a complete when they arrive, 2017 is going to be a blast!!!

Did I catch a niner+?
    That also reminds me.

The new dropout does not have the set screw area for the OEM rohloff like the standard dummy does, the brake has been moved to allow use of a monkey bone and I believe this will change for the standard big dummy in the future also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    It's just a Wednesday fork. Dummy hitch won't work, as the spacing is longer.
    It's actually an ICT fork which is also on the Wednesday. It would require a wider hub and seems like it would alter the geometry. But as Mr Pink points out, it looks like the new Troll fork is the solution.
    Last edited by dfltroll; 12-05-2016 at 07:33 AM. Reason: redundancy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoreskillz View Post
    Am I the only one considering a Rohloff hub for this beast? Initial measurements say it should work or is very, very close.
    Two issues with the Rohoff:

1. fitting it to the bike including some form of torque control to stop it from spinning

2. loading the wide axle with so much weight

#1 can probably be sorted with some ingenuity, but #2 is a problem that needs some input from Rohloff. That IGH uses the axle to locate all the gears very precisely. As i recall the issue making a wide Rohloff for fat bikes was that the wider axle bent more easily resulting in shifting issues - that was with the weight of a solo rider. They got that licked, but now you are thinking of subjecting the widest axle they make to some serious loads.

If money is no object give it a shot and let us know how it works. OTOH if you can't afford to be wrong I'd chat up the folks at Rohloff and see what they say. They may not be willing to guarantee it will work, but if they sound hopeful vs. say "no way Jose" that could give you enough confidence to throw down the $$.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

hispanic mechanic
    Why?!?

Why do I want this so badly? I keep coming up with stuff I "need" a fat cargo bike for...

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Agree with your statements Vik and I posted in the Fat Bike forum thread that I shot off a message to Cycle Monkey on Saturday and am hoping to have a reply from them sometime soon. I have owned two of their Rohloff wheelsets to-date and trust they will share a "no can do" or "it'll work...but" response.

I am quite attached to the Rohloff drive train for my style of riding and I am hoping for the best!

mtbr member
    I missed it, but apparently their is a XXL Fatbike A12-197mm which accepts 12mm thru axles as well. Per Rohloff:

"A12 SPEEDHUB models can only be supplied upon receipt of 3 documents completed during a special dropout measurement procedure. Our distributors or service partners will be able to supply the special A12 measurement kit for this purpose upon request.

Only upon receipt of the completed documents will be able to confidently state that we can supply a SPEEDHUB compatible with the frame. The test results will then also enable us to ship the A12 SPEEDHUB unit with the correct adapters and reduction sleeves."

Perhaps this too is an option.

https://www.rohloff.de/en/products/s...7mm/index.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I keep thinking about this bike...I drank a beer in the garage last night, watching the snow fall in the field across the street. I've always wanted to load my son up and just ride straight across that field...

Loading my son, and next year my not quite born daughter, on this thing is the big question. Dummy collars are good news. Surly's deck...not sure. I've hacked Yepp seats both on the front and back of my ECR, but I'm not sure this wider rack with accept a Yepp seat, or if I can use another top deck that will, given the wider spacing...might be more hacking. Not being kid friendly is a complete deal breaker.

I'm also ashamed at how interested I am in a Stoke Monkey for this...once you're ridden a loaded electric cargo bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    I keep thinking about this bike...I drank a beer in the garage last night, watching the snow fall in the field across the street. I've always wanted to load my son up and just ride straight across that field...

Loading my son, and next year my not quite born daughter, on this thing is the big question. Dummy collars are good news. Surly's deck...not sure. I've hacked Yepp seats both on the front and back of my ECR, but I'm not sure this wider rack with accept a Yepp seat, or if I can use another top deck that will, given the wider spacing...might be more hacking. Not being kid friendly is a complete deal breaker.

I'm also ashamed at how interested I am in a Stoke Monkey for this...once you're ridden a loaded electric cargo bike...
    Yet. Never underestimate the desires of tinkerers! I suspect there will be a bit of growing pain with the new frame but I am betting there will be new adaptors created or mods made to accommodate such. But some additional length and width will be a good thing I think. There is still at least 4-5 months left before we see these hitting the bike shops, much can be discussed and created in that amount of time if the need/desire is there.

Eager to hear what kind of options will grow with this new steed!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Agreed, but I like my Yepp seats so much, and I'm not sure the rails will clear the spacing of the housing...rails that jog in or come up at an angle could work, but we're talking about some real fab work at that point...

Human Test Subject
    Keep in mind that current rolling jackass/kickbacks will not work. You could try training your kids to lean towards the single leg kickstand.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Agreed, but I like my Yepp seats so much, and I'm not sure the rails will clear the spacing of the housing...rails that jog in or come up at an angle could work, but we're talking about some real fab work at that point...
    They explained to me that all top deck accessories from xtracycle will fit this top deck.

My concern does come in with how wide the deck is. For a smaller child it would be hard to straddle day in and day out. I wonder if they thought this would be more of a fun hauling things bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    It's actually an ICT fork which is also on the Wednesday. It would require a wider hub and seems like it would alter the geometry. But as Mr Pink points out, it looks like the new Troll fork is the solution.
    Dunno which is spec'd on the BFD, but fwiw...
    ICT fork=483mm AC
    WED fork=468mm AC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmonkey View Post
    Dunno which is spec'd on the BFD, but fwiw...
    ICT fork=483mm AC
    WED fork=468mm AC
    I checked the frame specs tab and it appears it comes with a Wed fork. I could have sworn the Wed and ICT used the same fork. Guess not.

Anchorage, AK
    Awesome bike!
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I wonder if they thought this would be more of a fun hauling things bike.
    Unless they get the Wideloaders figured out it'll be a pretty limited hauling bike. Those are key to making the most of an Xtracycle-ish cargo bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Unless they get the Wideloaders figured out it'll be a pretty limited hauling bike. Those are key to making the most of an Xtracycle-ish cargo bike.
    Aren't those wideloader attachments on the back-end and middle of the frame?
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I checked...if that deck is the 9.5-10" wide I'm gathering from the blog post, no way a yepp maxi is going to fit. The lower on the yepp will accommodate 7.5ish max.

...I think I'm out, barring further revelations. Damn.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Been after a fat cargo bike and had started saving for a big dummy, so as soon as this was announced I checked availability in the uk and put down a frame set to order.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Aren't those wideloader attachments on the back-end and middle of the frame?
    Different spacing to the Xtracycle parts. I'm sure they'll get something sorted out eventually, but for now they don't have that option and none of the centrestand kickstands for the Xtracycle or the DB work which is another issue for carrying max loads.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thinking out loud--how about tire pressure changes with a varying load? I've heard fat bikers discuss 1/4 psi changes for riding trails can't imagine all the pumping/relieving of pressure involved in using this rig as a errand runner. Maybe find a middle ground and roll?

Also heard folks say it would be a good expedition type bike but for my money I'd rather have the one Scott from P. Rocket used in OZ a few years back. Not quite so long.

Again--just thinking. BFD certainly looks cool. 29+ would be my choice though.

You're talking about this Hunter:

I would agree this would be a better choice than a bike nearly 8 feet long. Not that Surly intended this to be an expedition bike, but that hasn't stopped people from doing exactly that with the original BD.

hispanic mechanic
    Holy crap!!! That Hunter is... wow.
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I was indeed talking about that Hunter. If I really needed such a beast I'd pony up and get that one, especially as there is no XL BFD.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    With that much room, they could have added a jack-shaft and eliminated the fat cranks altogether while still allowing for largest tires imaginable. But no, Surly, you only think about yourself. :P

mtbr member

Hunter

This was an earlier bike that Rick Hunter made. You can't tell from the photo but the bike can take 4 full size Ortliebs. This is from 2011. My buddy that I've done all my big adventures with is a good friend of Rick's.

Big Fat Dummy!-bigred.jpg

It really seems like just a long(ish) fat bike might have been more practical than the BFD. But that's just me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    It really seems like just a long(ish) fat bike might have been more practical than the BFD. But that's just me.
    My cup of tea would be a rig that pushes the fat envelope even further, pushing 6in (think 2xl on a 130mm rim). Use a jackshaft and then you can use as thin a BB as you want with as fat a tire as you want. I wouldn't want it longer than it needed to be to fit that setup, so the length would probably be similar to yours. I would then slack out the front just like Surly did, and try to get to a 50/50 weight balance before adding cargo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    4 inch tyre will get the job done and still use Xtracycle fittings
    But unless all your riding is off road then be prepared for drag of immense suffering on long tarmac sections

DSCN3107 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm out. Seriously want a Big Dummy but for me price for a Big Fat Dummy prohibitively expensive in the UK. Frameset + bags 1,500 (that's around $2,000 at current exchange rates) which makes it at least 500 more than a regular Dummy equivalent. Regular Dummy could be built up pretty cheaply also but with non standard sizes on the Fat Dummy (hubs, rims, tyres, bb etc.) you're looking at a pretty hefty price tag. I'll keep dreaming for now.......

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just can't wait for people to start buying these things. I wanna hear the crazy stories of adventures. I want to borrow a BFD for a couple hours and ride all over my neighborhood.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by EssexBoyUK View Post
    I'm out. Seriously want a Big Dummy but for me price for a Big Fat Dummy prohibitively expensive in the UK. Frameset + bags 1,500 (that's around $2,000 at current exchange rates) which makes it at least 500 more than a regular Dummy equivalent. Regular Dummy could be built up pretty cheaply also but with non standard sizes on the Fat Dummy (hubs, rims, tyres, bb etc.) you're looking at a pretty hefty price tag. I'll keep dreaming for now.......
    So just get a regular Dummy. They still offer it.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I guess using a Yepp seatpost mount would solve the problem for one of the kids at least. By the time the new one's big enough to go on a bike hopefully someone will have come up with a solution.

That's my plan anyway, I've got a 3 year old and a few-week old and am looking at something to lug the two of them around.

I'll also need to find a way to put the chariot trailer on the back while the baby's still too small for a child seat. Not sure if the longer axle will create a problematic offset yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I checked...if that deck is the 9.5-10" wide I'm gathering from the blog post, no way a yepp maxi is going to fit. The lower on the yepp will accommodate 7.5ish max.

...I think I'm out, barring further revelations. Damn.
    Several people have cut the legs of Yepp Maxi seats (mostly to avoid access issues to the bags) - this would be one solution to the wider deck. Another is the Yepp Junior seat which is for larger kids and has a single chest stap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah, kid hauling is a big part of the equation for many folks considering this bike. I'll be watching to see what options people come up with.

Cutting legs off of Yepp Maxis is an option, but on longer rides the kid's legs will just be dangling. It gets pretty uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My standard width Dummy was running a skateboard deck until I fitted the Xtracycle flightdeckII and a magic carpet. The deck was only about an inch or so wider but it made my sons legs splay outwards over the normal deck. The flightdeck and carpet make a very noticeable difference to his comfort, so for a Fat Dummy width deck, even with the legs cut off a Yepp seat, unless they are wide in the hips it is going to be uncomfortable sitting on something that wide for very long. The standard deck is a good width for an adult. Surly also don't recommend carrying any person on the back of a dummy, we do it, they do it but the fine print says not to.
    Also mine is now only half fat and we use it for the winter like this but come spring when we start doing our touring and trips away then it will be standard 2.25 wheels for sure. I run this on the tarmac quite often and you wont be going far and it wont be quick on a Fat Dummy, pushing an Endomorph tyre, which rolls well, whether its 40psi or 12 psi is a lot of lot of work. Once the snow comes then it's a blast but for anything on tarmac, even 40 miles or so is seriously using/wasting energy. There is no gain only loss on tarmac or fire roads, the drag is killer.
    essexBoy, the price in the UK has always been a killer and this has just got a lot worse with the fall of the pound against the dollar. I was lucky and picked up the magic carpet and a few extras in November before the price rise of the new shipment which seen the U tubes go from 80 to 139 overnight! Like a standard Dummy, it's a huge investment, well it is for my family anyway, but my son had outgrown his Yepp seat on the back of the LHT so Dummy was a logical choice.
    The Fat was a good idea as it meant the best of both my LHT and also my Pugsley, but the reality of what we use it for and also the amount of work we do off road etc, its a novelty and the pros and cons don't come out in the favour of fat. We do a lot more touring on road than off so for me a full fat wouldn't be our choice. though for many it is probably the perfect machine.
    Like all Surly machines, it will definitely make you smile

Jamie

DSCN3216 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3240 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

You can see how a wider seat wouldn't be good for my 6 year old.
    DSCN3187 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

@adelorenzo
    My LBS is putting together a big fat dummy build for me.

I've been waiting for this for a hell of a long time and am SO glad I never bought a big dummy. The biggest thing for me is winter commuting, 5-6 months of the year I am commuting on a fat bike and I want this to be a year-round commuter and kid hauler.

Reading this thread I see that kid hauling may be more difficult than I originally thought. I've currently got a Yuba Mundo with the Yepp Maxi seat for my boy (which has been parked since the end of October). It seems the new deck will be too wide for the Yepp seat.

I'm thinking that the best option will be to shift the mounting plate far forward on the deck so that the legs of the Yepp seat actually hang off the front of the deck. It might get a little tight in behind my seat but hopefully it works. Thoughts?

The only other obvious solution would be to raise the seat far enough that the feet are sitting on top of the deck. That would be a pretty tall, unstable load I figure.

I'm not aware of any other suitable child seats on the market so I guess it comes down to making the Yepp fit somehow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi Anthony
    I would be inclined to wait and see how it is in real life, most likely it's nowhere near as uncomfortable as we are thinking. It also really depends on the curve on the sides as to whether the legs will stick out or down. A bit wide for a Yepp seat but I wonder how the yepp junior might mount.
    I see how the Fat Dummy will suite what you are doing and your needs, for me though, while I do like the fatter dummy for the winter weather, mine ultimately is too much of a compromise, mainly due to the rear end and while I love my Pugsley, our Dummy was really bought for a next step on from our Yepp seat on the Trucker, which is used for touring or long day rides, mostly on tarmac but also on dirt roads etc, pretty much anywhere we could get the Trucker. The tyres give us the extra of using it on the beach and in the snow but considering that in reality only makes up a small percentage means that the normal or 2.5 tyres are far better for us overall.
    30 miles on the semi fat Dummy with some gear and my son on it, certainly makes my singlespeed Pugsley seem fast and light
    Look forward to seeing yours and watch how you get on. That's the beauty of the Dummy is that it's so adaptable to whatever you want or need it to do and I am sure the Fat version will be just the same, if not more so.
    Jamie

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have the yepp junior on my BD and it would definitely work with a wider deck. It sits pretty high with the yepp adaptor so would reduce the leg splayt. also comes with foldable foot pegs which are pretty nice.

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Keep in mind that current rolling jackass/kickbacks will not work. You could try training your kids to lean towards the single leg kickstand.
    I have it on fairly good authority that Surly's working on their own kickstand for the BFD.

Surly's pretty adamant about their rails and decks aren't being for live cargo. Is there some sort of certification process required to reduce their legal liability? It might delay the release of kid accessories.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I have it on fairly good authority that Surly's working on their own kickstand for the BFD.

Surly's pretty adamant about their rails and decks aren't being for live cargo. Is there some sort of certification process required to reduce their legal liability? It might delay the release of kid accessories.
    Yeah, they are pretty straight forward about live cargo, though when the original Dummy was designed with input with and from the guys and gals at Xtracycle, everyone was well aware what a lot of if not most Freeloaders were being used for and also what most Dummies would end up being used for. They know and are happy but don't want to know as once they say it's OK, then the legal issues get very complicated.
    There are no Surly kid accessories for the normal Dummy and while the Fat Dummy looks like it will do well, it's still a limited market, so I don't see them going through the legal hassle all of a sudden to start making and selling 'live' cargo items.
    The issue with the Fat Dummy in my opinion is that there looks to be very little from Xtracycle and others who use the open source type design that will fit, a situation that seems to have already partially happened with the current Dummy in that the crossover is limited.
    Decks are a prime example, Surly deck only for Surly racks, xtracycle has a snap deck for when you don't want to carry live cargo, Xtracycle have a flightdeck that takes a magic carpet for carrying bigger kids or adults and their flightdeck II has pre marked cut outs ready to come out to mount one or two Yepp seats directly to the deck, which saves having to mount the adapter which raises the weight another 2 to 3 inches.
    For the first Dummies, Surly seemed happy to point you to Xtracycle for accessories.
    This is one of the main reasons I wanted a first generation Dummy as it is the most compatible with nearly everything.
    I love my Surly bikes as they are all perfect for what I need them to do but here in the UK things just trickle through and then it's hard to get US shops to send to the UK because they have a distributer here. Case in point is trying to get the rail collars that are integral to holding your rack into the frame, especially with live cargo on board, estimated availability in the UK, next shipment due June 29th. Usual availability issues
    Looks like the ingenious home builders will need to come to the fore, which is never a bad thing.

Jamie
    Last edited by jamiedyer; 01-15-2017 at 07:16 PM.

mtbr member
    I too was thrilled with the announcement of the BFD, but as I delved deeper this is a blunder by Surly. I was, and still am very interested in a cargo bike and the BFD stopped me short of buying the regular BD. But after trying to get a build quoted it is not only expensive, but insanely so. You may be fine if you are going with a standard derailleur setup, but if your heart is a Rohloff then I would pass. It is not made for it and I see problems with it in the future if you manage to get it to work. I really wanted a Rohloff, and the nice thing about the regular BFD is that it is made for it. However, I wanted 29ers not 26 inch rims. Sure I could go back, but now that I see that I can get a cargo bike with the big (diameter) tires it's hard to go back. Now why would I say it is a blunder? Well they really should have made this bike a builders dream, and designed it around a Rohloff. I am amazed that they did not.
    I could deny myself the Rohloff and just go back to the derailleur, which as sad as that makes me, it would be cheaper and since I would like to put a Bafang mid-drive on it, that would be the smarter choice anyway. Popping the shear pin on the Rohloff is not something I would want to happen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolReloaded View Post
    I too was thrilled with the announcement of the BFD, but as I delved deeper this is a blunder by Surly. I was, and still am very interested in a cargo bike and the BFD stopped me short of buying the regular BD. But after trying to get a build quoted it is not only expensive, but insanely so. You may be fine if you are going with a standard derailleur setup, but if your heart is a Rohloff then I would pass. It is not made for it and I see problems with it in the future if you manage to get it to work. I really wanted a Rohloff, and the nice thing about the regular BFD is that it is made for it. However, I wanted 29ers not 26 inch rims. Sure I could go back, but now that I see that I can get a cargo bike with the big (diameter) tires it's hard to go back. Now why would I say it is a blunder? Well they really should have made this bike a builders dream, and designed it around a Rohloff. I am amazed that they did not.
    I could deny myself the Rohloff and just go back to the derailleur, which as sad as that makes me, it would be cheaper and since I would like to put a Bafang mid-drive on it, that would be the smarter choice anyway. Popping the shear pin on the Rohloff is not something I would want to happen.
    It's a blunder because it doesn't fit your exact requirements?

mtbr member
    Not at all...there are a lot of people that would have liked to see a dropout that was more dedicated to the Rohloff. Surly has many bikes that are set up that way, and I would liked to see them carry that to this bike. Blunder does not mean it's a bad bike, just a facet that may cost them sales. That said, I may still do one with a cassette.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolReloaded View Post
    Not at all...there are a lot of people that would have liked to see a dropout that was more dedicated to the Rohloff. Surly has many bikes that are set up that way, and I would liked to see them carry that to this bike. Blunder does not mean it's a bad bike, just a facet that may cost them sales. That said, I may still do one with a cassette.
    Rohloff has (potentially) some competition that could fit your needs in the future.

Big Fat Dummy!-kindernay-xiv-hub-comparison.jpg

(Needs 32 spoke and cable shifting capability though.)

mtbr member
    Wow...well thanks for the post! It is about time that someone steps into the 14 speed IGH game. It looks promising and lets hope they make a go of it, although going up against Rohloff is tough. But coming in at 15% lighter...that puts them in the game.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I see the first shipments will be due imminently. Who's getting one? Just me?

Big Fat Dummy | Blog | Surly Bikes

@adelorenzo
    Quote Originally Posted by philelmer View Post
    I see the first shipments will be due imminently. Who's getting one? Just me?
    I've got a frameset coming as my shop couldn't get a complete bike. I'm also in Canada so not sure what that means for delivery times but based on that blog post hopefully it means it'll show up in the next month or so.

All the parts for the build are sitting at the LBS.

@adelorenzo
    My shop is thinking my frame might show up in May sometime.

Still need to figure out the whole mounting the kid seat question. Maybe I'll mock the deck up out of plywood and see if I can figure out a way to fit the Yepp Maxi.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I've got a full build coming and they reckon mid April for delivery. I'm also going to be grafting something together for my co-pilot / navigator so will post when I make some progress with mounting arrangements.

Unless of course it's an absolute stroke of genius in which case I'll sell it for millions and nobody will see me for dust. (kicked up by a 4-inch wide tyre)

@adelorenzo
    Xtracycle Accessories on the Surly Big and Big Fat Dummy - HappyFox

Please note that no Xtracycle accessories are known to work on the Big Fat Dummy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So I've got my BFD and have mounted a topeak seat on the forward edge of the deck - not ideal but it works for now until I get/make something more permanent. I will post a photo when I have a computer to do so on but in the meantime I'm happy to report that Little Cargo says it's the best bike he's ever been on. You can see his point though, it'll ride over literally anything, looks cool and is effectively full suspension. All the other kids at nursery like it too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    https://youtu.be/mCf9tfZd0eE

There - proof it works!

@adelorenzo
    My Large frame showed up right near the end of June, here it is in all it's big fat glory:

Big Fat Dummy!-img_20170630_084909.jpg

Big Fat Dummy!-img_20170630_084941.jpg

A couple of build notes that may be of interest:

• Running 1x11 with a Race Face Aeffect 170mm crank, the chain clearance just barely squeaks by with Alex 90mm rims and Schwalbe Jumo Jim 4.8 tires. That is with the chainring flipped and a tiny amount of re-dishing on the wheel to get a few extra mm.
    • My LBS suggested SRAM Guide RE brakes, which are a 4-piston brake designed for the extra mass and speed of e-bikes. They work great.

I was able to installl a Yepp Maxi child seat using the Thule adapter. It involves some material removal on the deck and bending the internal frame of the seat to splay the legs out.

If you are thinking of doing this I would recommend getting the Yuba adapter, it is more adjustable and should be easy to mount to the fat dummy dwithout modifying the deck. You'd still need to splay or cut off the legs of the Yepp seat though.

Big Fat Dummy!-img_20170717_082109.jpg

Big Fat Dummy!-img_20170717_082122.jpg

Big Fat Dummy!-img_20170717_082137.jpg

Big Fat Dummy!-img_20170716_162652.jpg

My next priority is to get a decent kickstand. My $7 cheapie is pretty sketchy when loading the kid.

After that I want to try fabricating a hooptie-style rail for the back for when he gets older.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just a beauty shot of my BFD on the North Country Trail (NCT) from yesterday. I'm very pleased with the bike so far. I built this one up from a frameset. I sprung for some nicer-than-stock parts on mine, including some Chris King, RaceFace Turbine, Thomson, and a SRAM GX 1x11 drivetrain.

Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Fat Dummy!-surlybfd_nct.jpg  

I dig steel-framed bikes of all shapes and sizes.