Any ideas for fenders/splash guards for the Pugsley?- Mtbr.com
    "Put me back on my bike!"

Any ideas for fenders/splash guards for the Pugsley?

What can I make or buy for front and rear splash guards for my Pugsley? Any ideas or pictures will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ace

Devo

fenders?

Quote Originally Posted by Acesingle
    What can I make or buy for front and rear splash guards for my Pugsley? Any ideas or pictures will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ace
    I've had the same thought. So far all i can come up with, is using a seatpost mounted rear fender, and a downtube mounted splash guard for the front. I'm getting a set of racks for mine, and I think i could use some Coroplast, cut and zip tie into place. If it were uber pimp...I'd love to get a set of those wood fenders from rivercity cyclery, but for the 4" wide tyres.
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Wink Go the River City route...

Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo
    I've had the same thought. So far all i can come up with, is using a seatpost mounted rear fender, and a downtube mounted splash guard for the front. I'm getting a set of racks for mine, and I think i could use some Coroplast, cut and zip tie into place. If it were uber pimp...I'd love to get a set of those wood fenders from rivercity cyclery, but for the 4" wide tyres.
    I worked for the company Dave used to be at in the S.F. Bay Area, and if anyone could do a great job for that, it's be Dave G. If you follow through, be sure to make a post article out of it. See if Dave's willing to let you photo the process. (If not pm me and I'll bug him about it.)

Obi..

If anyone wants to see what we're talking about:

Shop: http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/

Full Wood Gear: http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/def...p?cPath=27_130

Of course then there's all the woodwork, fixtures, etc. This shop is one of those "Must Go" places in the country when it comes to Cool Shop status.

http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/mod...407&page_id=73

p.s. Tell him I say "Hi Obi.one sent me!", and enjoy the cappuchino!!
    Last edited by Obi; 02-11-2006 at 11:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm using the seat post and down tube mounted fenders. They work about as effectively as they would work on a regular MTB which is to help a little. Thats the easiest solution.
    Another idea is something like this.
    http://www.mile43.com/peterson/FendForYourself.html
    And ofcourse the most expensive but most elegant solution is the custom wood fenders.

Craig

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

5gal bucket fender

Quote Originally Posted by Acesingle
    Thanks,
    Ace
    I used a ring cut from a 5gallon bucket.. 4.5" wide seems about right... using provided fender mount holes, I spaced the lower one out about 3/4"... I have a rear rack so I fastened the rear-most edge to the rack...

of course most any color is available.. it is light, durable.. i originally cut the ring with a sawzall but trimmed the edges with a pair of sheetmetal snips.. works good.

I suppose you could use a larger ring from a garbage can or 30gal plastic barrel.. but the 5gal works fine for my needs.

Any pictures of the fenders.

Quote Originally Posted by shotus
    I used a ring cut from a 5gallon bucket.. 4.5" wide seems about right... using provided fender mount holes, I spaced the lower one out about 3/4"... I have a rear rack so I fastened the rear-most edge to the rack...

of course most any color is available.. it is light, durable.. i originally cut the ring with a sawzall but trimmed the edges with a pair of sheetmetal snips.. works good.

I suppose you could use a larger ring from a garbage can or 30gal plastic barrel.. but the 5gal works fine for my needs.
    Do you have any pictures to post? Thanks.

No, that's not phonetic

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Compulsive Bike Builder

Here is how I had mine set up

Downtube mounted guard in front worked well and did not interfere with steering. Zefal Classics or Mutants in the rear were effective, all the stuff you want to deflect with the fender comes off the center of the tire. I could not install the rear fender the way it was intended due to clearance, I compromised on having it stick up and back a little, which worked well, and I thought it looked kinda cool that way. It does tend to wag around a little when sticking out like this, but for sand crawling it did not matter much.

Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

beach attire

my SS TROUBLE took a maiden voyage as a surf fishing machine... hurricanes have wreaked havoc on the gulf coast making normal fishing access extremely limited.. enter the Stainless Steel optioned Triple Double.. Surly chainrings, Dos ENO freewheel.. 36/30/22 - 19/17

the attached pics show Pugs set up with 12' and 11' surf rods.. and we caught 2 pompano, 1 redfish and a puppy drum.. not a bad first outing..

you will note a pvc kickstand and the rodholders that rotate from rearward for travel to forward for fishing..

that is a STC-RC cantilever brake on the rear... no hills out here.. and the salt doesn't seem to affect it..

also the 5gal bucket rear fender and corregated plastic front fender.

those are my own version of Mengele Marge Bars.. and bar-end shifters in friction mode
    Attached Images Attached Images

Compulsive Bike Builder

Two shark bitten thumbs up

That bike rocks so hard, I love it. How many things that you love can you do at once? Nice job on the fenders, btw. Bars get a thumbs up, too, there is no point in wide bars in the sand, once you start sawing the wheel too far you are in trouble anyway.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Shotus - Awesome set-up!

Shotus,
    I love it! A great set-up. Thanks for the fender ideas also.
    Ace

Members who have read this thread: 0