3.0 to 2.4 BB issue?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

3.0 to 2.4 BB issue?

Hey all! Quick question— does putting 2.4’s on the 27.5 Karate Monkey drastically lower the BB to the point where pedal strikes are an issue? I know it’s built around 3.0’s, so I want to make sure this won’t be an issue. I’m not worried about it for bike packing, but when I take it out on single track.

mtbr member
    According to this : Berkshire Sports - Bike Computer Tire Size Calculator it would drop your bottom bracket by about 2.5 cm/1 inch.
    I regularly swap between 26 x 3.0 and 26 x 2.3 wheels on my Troll and don't even notice the height change (which should be about the same change you're looking at, per that calculator), but then I don't spend much time off road, and when I know off-roading is in my future, I put the bigger tires on.

**edited because my initial numbers were based on the circumference, not the diameter.***

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Thanks!

NJ Gator
    Jul 2019
    Considering a KM and find the 3.0 tires appealing but would like to know if throwing a 2.6 would drastically lower the BB as well. I imagine it would lower it abit but if running a 140mm fork that may provide enough height

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if I'm reading that calculator right, but it looks to me like the difference is about a centimeter. I doubt I would notice that, and it would likely be offset by a suspension fork (until you bottomed out the fork, I guess).

Once again I went from weeks of riding on my 26 x 3.0s to riding on my 26 x 2.3s and didn't notice. Probably 2 cm. But then if I were doing more trail riding where pedal strike was a real risk, I might notice.

I've been thinking about a Karate Monkey for a while, and I was thinking that I'd probably build it with 27.5 x 3.0 in mind, but also do a 29 x 2.5 wheelset, or thereabouts. Looking at that calculator, it seems like the bottom bracket would only be about .5 cm different between the two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Gator View Post
    Considering a KM and find the 3.0 tires appealing but would like to know if throwing a 2.6 would drastically lower the BB as well. I imagine it would lower it abit but if running a 140mm fork that may provide enough height
    Keep in mind you are running lower pressure in the 3" tire vs. the 2.6" tire so once you are on the bike and the tire sags you'll be at pretty much the same ride height...give or take.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

NJ Gator
    Jul 2019
    Good call- didn’t even think of that...