🗿 📄 ✂

27.5+ Karate Monkey setup

27.5+ Karate Monkey setup-016.jpg

Hammering a Karate Monkey OPS build since the frame came out, built it just to run Trailblazer tires from WTB.

Had an uncertain weekend of long distance rides occur recently and, found someone whose 27.5 x 3.0 DW tires were too much rubber.

Popped these new tires onto undersized rims (23mm internal) only to test chainstay clearance. It is there, but contact with the tire does happen - somewhat frequently too.

With the 2.8" Trailblazer at any pressure - never had contact on the stays.

This frame has MDS dropouts; currently with 135 x 10mm Maxle on some Hope Hubs w/ derailleur.

Do options for a stable increase in clearance come from making use of the horizontal-dropouts with a Dirt Wizard in this size?

Also, although counterintuitive, does a particular internal width of the rim have an effect on tire clearance in this type situation?

Nearly purchased some Scraper Rims to build out of reading on the internet that: wider rims will help with clearance problems.
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches

Rent this space for $
    I have 2 Monkeys. A '15 with MDS and a new '17 Gnot Boost. Only the Gnot Boost can handle a true, actual plus size tire on the rear triangle. I'm not familiar with true nominal sizing on the TB tire but it's safe to assume that it's like so many others and no where near its nominal size when measured. On my '15, I run ARC35 rims in 29 with Schwalbe RockRazr or Nobby Nics 2.35's and those actually measure out to 2.53" on those rims and they fit but there is no room for margin. That's the widest you'll get on there. It doesn't really change in the 27.5+ form. I bought my frame brand new from a guy that bough it to go 27.5+ and it simply won't do that well so he didn't build it and sold it to me for my Singlespeed build.

Now, the Gnot Boost is a totally different animal and will go plus and thensome. My '17 has i40 rims and had the original DW 27.5x3.0. That tire's size is pretty much true to life and it has plenty of clearance. It's a gnar tire and rolls like shit on my terrain so I pulled mine off right away to save for a rainy day and popped some new Nobby Nic 3.0's on which also run true to life. Tons of room.

If you go wider internal, it will tend to square-off the sidewalls which could help for fitment but it does tend to present an overall wider profile so it could be problematic if your pushing the limits, already. Wider tire on a narrow internal hoop will give you a voluminous balloon effect and even though you get a better traction patch, the tire is squirrely on the rim due to lack of sidewall support. There's a very fine line of getting all the combos just right.

🗿 📄 ✂
    Thanks. With WTB tires no measurement was made, they were an easy fit which was much different than 2.5 / 2.4" tires on an Iron Horse in comparison. Really enjoy the bike; a chunk-tire like the Dirt Wizard was worst-case riding for a unique race last weekend in East Burke VT. Rode my Ridley CX bike as I had wanted in the end. Lacked saddle time before the race though, whichever bike it would have been!

A 2.75" version - if it were to be made - would fit the back no problem. I happen to like tires nearly matched though.

The rim idea was a silly thing. Common sense says two points being moved further apart will also make a tire be wider if you mount it to two points then move them apart. Duh.

Just did not know if it was different for this bike

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by Haint View Post

A 2.75" version - if it were to be made - would fit the back no problem. I happen to like tires nearly matched though.
    The commonly available 26x2.75 DW would keep them nearly matched.

mtbr member
    I run a 2.8 ikon out back on those dtswiss 551 rims.
    I probably have 4-5mm at each stay with the wheel slammed. Every once in a blue moon Iíll get a knob buzz if Iím riding like Iím not supposed to: standing and trying to power through a gear thatís too tall...itís a good cue to shift and sit and spin.
    edit: thatís on an old canti frame version with the mounts buzzed off, not the latest and greatest, nor mds era frame.

🗿 📄 ✂
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I run a 2.8 ikon out back on those dtswiss 551 rims.
    I probably have 4-5mm at each stay with the wheel slammed. Every once in a blue moon Iíll get a knob buzz if Iím riding like Iím not supposed to: standing and trying to power through a gear thatís too tall...itís a good cue to shift and sit and spin.
    edit: thatís on an old canti frame version with the mounts buzzed off, not the latest and greatest, nor mds era frame.
    Considered updating the K'Monk to the newest only to fit the Dirt Wizard tires. I'd have to offset having a nearly-capable frameset though and, a stewing Monster-Cross build may be left underwhelmed. Had I went a size smaller it'd work fine, chose to go with a larger frame however.

Want to be able to be able to back flip, visor buzz and nac-nac on this bike.

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by Haint View Post

Want to be able to be able to back flip, visor buzz and nac-nac on this bike.
    I ride Mountain Bikes. WTF is that "stuff" you speak of?!

I probably mentioned somewhere up there that I had ditched my new Dirt Wizards that came on the bike just because in my daily terrain, they were easily overkill (Nobby Nic prevails) and they were pretty harsh to pedal. Sort of a gnarly-bitchin tire, otherwise. What conditions are you guys running the DW's? Just curious. If I was hitting my one location that was all about "gravity", I'd rock them there but not on a hard tail. I'm thinking of throwing them on my Stumpy 6Fiddy-FattieFattieFatFat for the purpose.

🗿 📄 ✂
    Trailblazers have been re-installed. The bike is fast with them, grips great too.

There is alot of rugged singletrack nearby; a 10 mile commute to the office has many options. Not minding extra weight since the bike does not hesitate to move when asked.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So has any one tried Marge lites on newer km frame???? I am curious if a 65mm rim with 26 x 3.8 tire would fit the new KM. Overall diameter should not be and issue but what about side to side?