2020 Krampus Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

2020 Krampus Build

Well, after looking over many options I figured I'd go with the Krampus over FS. However after a week of phone calls I can not find anyone who stocks them let alone willing to order. total PITA...

Looks like I can get the frame on-line from a couple places though.

So....
    It's been 20yrs since I built out a bike. Need some direction, do I just copy the stock build or upgrade a bit? really want to keep the budget around 2k... is it possible, if not then it's back to 2nd runner up choices or waiting it out till next yr possibly.

Amazing how difficult it is to find or buy a bike these days. It's not like I'm in a hurry either. LBS who is a dealer wasn't very interested in ordering a bike, rather push what they have on the floor and kept stating that it could takes weeks if it all. They don't floor any surly inventory.

XL frame in case anyone was wondering. HT, so it looks like I'd have a left over rigid fork.. going down the road of custom build.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Talked to a shop a couple cities away... They were kind enough to look into ordering.... Krampus of all flavors are out of stock. Nothing available....

So either I find a dealer with a frame or bike in inventory or move on...

Its only a bike.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Both frame only and complete bikes will be available again on 6/24 in XL. (Tangled up in Blue)

I'm a custom build guy myself, but it's more expensive that way. With a $2k budget I'd buy complete and upgrade. Definitely add a dropper and maybe a sus fork.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks, the shop had zero idea.
    Looks like color dictates trim? Static sunset has better brakes and front suspension... That the normal course with surly?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Blathma View Post
    Thanks, the shop had zero idea.
    Looks like color dictates trim? Static sunset has better brakes and front suspension... That the normal course with surly?
    I'd go with whichever current build has the 11spd NX groupset over the cheaper 12spd SX. If it's the rigid model, you can always add a dropper and better suspension fork. That's what I did, and then ended up selling the susp fork as I like the Krampus in rigid mode!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    If the purple doesn't scare you away (it's my personal favorite color of any bike I've owned), I'd consider selling my XL Krampus, complete, or frame-only

mtbr member
    Or you could opt for the Karate Monkey as they have both rigid and suspension options available! So 27.5+ or 29!
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I don't think the KM will fit 29x3 tires. Frame is also different.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I don't think the KM will fit 29x3 tires. Frame is also different.
    It will fit 29x3. Key frame differences are:
    -KM has shorter chainstays but if you stuff 29x3 you end up sliding the wheel out to about the same length as the krampus.
    -Krampus has a lower BB. The monkey's can feel high once you put 29x3 in there, if you like to go fast. Conversely, the Krampus can start feeling too low if you go smaller, but corners like an F1 race car.

Ironically I'm running 29x3 on my monkey, rigid ss, and 29x2.5's with gears and a 120 fork on my Krampus. Both work really well. Nothing corners like the Krampus with the low bb and relatively steep head angle, but I do live in the southeast and have to be careful for pedal strikes. If you are experienced and careful it's fine, even at speed.

Reach is almost the same, the monkey has less stack, both are arguably too low stack already. I'm 6'3 all legs and no torso, it fits fine. I do run risers similar to the surly sunrise bar on my KM though. Really both bikes are incredibly fun and very similar.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Excellent info, thanks.
    Unfortunately I can't get the KM with 29+ out of the box... Would need to up spend another couple hundred. That gets out of my comfort price zone. I figure that once I tic past 2500 or so I might as well round the corner near $3k and that opens the door to many other options. So I'm trying to hug the $2k mark as much as possible.
    Honestly haven't ruled out GG, but from what I've read they don't fit 29+ tires, could be wrong though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Excellent info, thanks.
    Unfortunately I can't get the KM with 29+ out of the box... Would need to up spend another couple hundred. That gets out of my comfort price zone. I figure that once I tic past 2500 or so I might as well round the corner near $3k and that opens the door to many other options. So I'm trying to hug the $2k mark as much as possible.
    Honestly haven't ruled out GG, but from what I've read they don't fit 29+ tires, could be wrong though.
    Again, I'd sell you my Krampus (with the i40 wheels, 3.0 tires) since having both it and the monkey is a little redundant. PM me if interested

mtbr member
    May 2020
    XL.. out of stock...

Thanks for link, I'll keep them bookmarked for next month. When availability is up again.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Ah I didn't notice that you listed your size. Good luck!