mtbr member

2017 Karate Monkey vs pre-MDS Karate Monkey - opinions

Dear Karate Monkey experts,

I am fixating on needing a 2017 Karate Monkey. However, I have had this "I need a new bike" buzz before. So before I sell everything I own, I wanted to get some opinions and perspective before I take the plunge.

I ride a 2015 blue KM as a single speed mtb.I have options for rigid and suspension 100mm to tinker with. I started on the idea of upgrading bc of the "trail oriented" geometry changes and maybe a dropper post. As I have CK SS hubs, I don't want to lose them. So I guess I'd be swapping axles getting a new CK headset.

But is it worth it? Is gnot boost really something that is better or am I just getting sucked in to a new bike buzz?

I'd appreciate any well thought out advice (for eg. pls no "purple sucks comments) Thx for your help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    They are different bikes for sure, both are excellent, but it's hard to say which one is better. For a SS rig, there's really no advantage for upgrading. I'd certainly go test ride one and see if it's worth to you. I think your generation KM will be more sought after in 5 years.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    JAGI410, thanks for your opinion. It is kind of the direction in which I am leaning. The only thing I can't run is a dropper post on current bike. Because of the bend in the seat tube I have approx 38 cm to insert. Thomson has 27,2 models with 400 - 425 mm. I live here in Germany and finding test ride options. Also my KM is a large, and I have been wondering if the new XL might be a better fit. I am 6'3" with 34" inseam so I am right between the two sizes.

mtbr member
    Thoughts from an '08 KM owner who is also looking at the new KM.

How does your current KM fit/feel to you? If you're not looking at the XL, then most likely this is not something you've wrestled with, but for me, being 6'2" with long arms, my XL KM has always been on the shorter side for me, so the increased Reach is a big draw.

Another feature the new KM offers over my old '08 is the sloped TT so I can run more exposed post and the new bigger ST allows the use of a nice dropper if I wanted. On your 2015, they already have the sloped TT, so guess that wouldn't be a big draw for you.

Also, but to a lesser extend is the slacker HTA. I say lesser, because I'm not sure if I could get extra Reach and run a shorter stem, if the current geo wouldn't be fine for me, however, I have slackened mine out by running a B+ 2.8" rear and 29x3.0+ on the front.

On the tyre note, the ability to run true PLUS tyres f&r is a very big draw for me, as would love to run an even bigger rear.

So to sum it up, for me the big draws are increased Reach (that I need), more trail oriented geo (although is pretty good now running the B+/29+ setup), clearance for true plus tyres, bigger ST for dropper and the greater TT clearance. Sad news is the fockers seem to have discontinued the yellow/orange colour and have me looking elsewhere as well.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member

XL in Yellow available

Sad news is the fockers seem to have discontinued the yellow/orange colour and have me looking elsewhere as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much for your answer. It gives a lot to chew. Also moves bit in the direction of the 2017 model.

FYI bike.24 in Germany has a yellow KM in XL which ships in 2 days. From your spelling I am guessing you may be in Great Britain.

mtbr member
    Yeah, no just live in the english speaking Caribbean Thanks for the find, but no way I'm paying $260 US more (860 vs 600 in US) plus shipping just to get a yellow/orange frame. Cannot believe the Europeans get rapped like that on pricing, that's over 40% more than anyone buying within the US

Quote Originally Posted by eselsweg View Post
    Thanks very much for your answer. It gives a lot to chew. Also moves bit in the direction of the 2017 model.

FYI bike.24 in Germany has a yellow KM in XL which ships in 2 days. From your spelling I am guessing you may be in Great Britain.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??