mtbr member
    May 2014

2015 Karate Monkey MDS dropouts problem

I am working on building up my first bike, a 2015 Karate Monkey, and I am having some trouble with my rear dropouts.

My goal is to use a 142mm thru axle hub, and I got the Surly MDS Slotted 12x142mm dropouts.

The slotted 142 x 12mm MDS dropout chip is designed to be compatible with two different rear axle configurations.
    1. 142 x 12mm slotted double bolt thru-axle* (hanger is compatible with SRAM or Shimano derailleurs) *axle included (Figure 2).
    2. 142 x 12mm slotted single bolt thru-axle* (hanger is compatible with SRAM or Shimano derailleurs) *axle included (Figure 3).

I am attempting option #2. See fig.3 on their docs:
    https://surlybikes.com/uploads/downl...xle_Chip_2.pdf

Frame: 2015 Surly Karate Monkey frame
    Dropouts: Surly MDS 12mm Thru Slot with Hanger and Eye (FS2009)
    Axle: Surly 12x142 Rear Thru Axle-updated (HU0133)

Now, when I installed the dropouts, and installed the axle, there is still quite a bit of play. I measured the interior span between the dropouts with the axle in place, and it is 142.31mm. From what I can tell, the slotted dropouts should be able to tighten to a point they do not slide.

Does anyone have any recommendations here? Add some spacers? something adjustable in the hub?

mtbr member
    Have you actually fitted a hub in there or did you just install the axle? Axle should be short enough to bring the drop outs in to the required width, if not then you'll need to either find a different axle or try to add a washer that fits over the axle to sit the bolt off and allow it to tighten properly. Pics and not some drawings from a PDF would help much more.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I threw on a 12x142 wheel from another bike, the wheels for this bike are on their way. I tighten down the axle cap, but there is still a lot of play in the axle. Enough to slide the wheel in the slotted dropout without effort.
    2015 Karate Monkey MDS dropouts problem-img_1965.jpg
    2015 Karate Monkey MDS dropouts problem-img_8674-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Well, the simple answer is - your axle is too long for those drop out thickness, you need a shorter one, or you need to find a knurled washer that will just fit over the 12mm axle to give the nut something to clamp too. If it was me, I'd be looking for a new/different axle that's the right length or has built in solutions to alter the widths it can clamp to.

Honestly though, not familiar with the MDS drop outs, so maybe this is something common and people who use them have a solution. Have you tried contacting Surly or a dealer and asking them a question?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions and that I am not crazy, I sent an email over to surly to confirm the part number I need.

I tried installing the axle on the other 12x142 MDS Direct Mount (Shimano only) dropouts that came with the frame, and had the same fit issue.

Looking into it a bit further I found the part I purchased (HU0133) should be the 12x142. And the packaging is correct, but the item in the packaging was marked 12x142/148 (HU0134).

Figured since the frame/dropout/axle were all surly, that would be my best bet for fit. Oh well, will update this once I get word back in case others run into the same issue.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Confirmed with Surly that a the wrong cap came with the axle. The cap, "tophat", should have had a much deeper inset to take up the extra axle length.

Surly sorted me out and sent a new one, all is good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Karate Monkey MDS dropouts problem-ujej%25vplslibspmbe1f2eq.jpg  

mtbr member
    Good for you, glad to hear Surly took care of you. Luckily for me I've not needed their "assistance" in the 10 years I owned my Monkey, now she is "retired" to commuter duties, think she'll last at least another 15-20 years ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjames View Post
    Confirmed with Surly that a the wrong cap came with the axle. The cap, "tophat", should have had a much deeper inset to take up the extra axle length.

Surly sorted me out and sent a new one, all is good.