2.5 tire, v-brakes and Surly 1x1?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2.5 tire, v-brakes and Surly 1x1?

Anyone know whether this might fit? I want to try some bigger tires on my Surly, but I'm still running v-brakes and I have no plans to change. Tires would likely be WTB Weirwolf on the front, mutano on the back.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Dolomite
    Anyone know whether this might fit? I want to try some bigger tires on my Surly, but I'm still running v-brakes and I have no plans to change. Tires would likely be WTB Weirwolf on the front, mutano on the back.

Thanks.
    My friend with a onex1 has run 2.4 mutanos, no problem with v-brakes, He is running a 2.4 schwalbe slick right now which has to be one of the tallest tires around, and it fits also, but he did have to deflate the rear tire to put it in the frame, the noodle between the arms is very close to touching the tire also. I think any 2.5 should fit, I'm pretty sure you might be able to fit a 3.0 gazzi up front even

mtbr member
    I ran a 1x1 with Weirwolf 2.5s and Deore V-brakes for a while. It worked pretty well. The clearance between the tire tread and brake cable was pretty close. Less than 5mm, but I didn't have problems except in deep mud and to a lesser extent slushy snow. Eventually I switched over to cantis for more clearance, but looking back I didn't really need to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ran that exact combo, Weirwolf front/ Mutano rear, on my 1x1 with v's for a long time with no issues whatsoever. Clearance to the brake noodle is minimal, but not really a problem unless you ride in major slop, and if you do that you'd be replacing cables yearly anyhow. Large volume tires are the best!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by single1x1
    My friend with a onex1 has run 2.4 mutanos, no problem with v-brakes, He is running a 2.4 schwalbe slick right now which has to be one of the tallest tires around, and it fits also, but he did have to deflate the rear tire to put it in the frame, the noodle between the arms is very close to touching the tire also. I think any 2.5 should fit, I'm pretty sure you might be able to fit a 3.0 gazzi up front even
    One of the reasons I had to deflate the back tire was because of the brake booster I use. I think without the booster I would not have to deflate the rear to get the wheel on. The Schwalbe's are huge though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Was running 2.5 Maxxis Mobster on the rear with a Deore V. Clearance was fine, recently changed it to a Larson 2.3 though, just to improve rolling resistance. Its amazing how much a 2.5 on the rear bogs down your bike.

Still running a 2.5 Minion on the front though, reckon ive found the ultimate balance between cushion, traction and rolling resistance with this set up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

trail bear's don't work

the IRC trail bear 2.5 tyre didn't fit with V brakes on my bike

Members who have read this thread: 0