Thread: 1x9 Big Dummy?

mtbr member

1x9 Big Dummy?

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but anyone out there running their Big Dummy as a 1x9. Currently I'm using the stock drivetrain (3x9). I'm thinking of getting a narrow wide chainring and running 1x9. My questions are:

Any thoughts on running the stock Deore derailleur? I read on the Surly Blog (Introducing Big Fat Dummy | Blog | Surly Bikes) that a Shadow Shimano derailleur won't work with a BD. Any thoughts on whether I'll be more likely to drop the chain?

Also, I actually am not running 3x9, I"m running a modified cassette, dropped the highest gear and spaced out the cassette to eliminate chain rub with ET tires. This actually didn't work. chain still rubs. Even spaced the cranks out a bit and still have issues with chain rub and front shifting. With a 1x9 system, think I'll still have chain rub?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've been running mine 1x9 since building it 3+ years ago. Not using a clutched derailleur or a narrow wide ring either. 32t front, 11-36 rear. I have slight chain rub in the 36t gear with my 2.35 big apples.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    I've been running mine 1x9 since building it 3+ years ago. Not using a clutched derailleur or a narrow wide ring either. 32t front, 11-36 rear. I have slight chain rub in the 36t gear with my 2.35 big apples.
    Awesome. Just what I was hoping. I appreciate the response.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys