120mm fork on a 1x1?- Mtbr.com
    Gittyup!

120mm fork on a 1x1?

Would a 120mm Marz Marathon S be a reasonable suspension fork for a 1x1 or would it have a serious negative impact on geometry and handling? Thinking of buying the 1x1 frame to build up and satisfy my SS fix. I've got all the parts and pieces I need to do so, just didn't know if the fork would work well or not. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Ideally, maybe, depends on your riding style...

I'm running my Talas 130, but it's would down to usually 100 or 80 mm. Anything more than that it tends to handle more slack, but then again great for steep rutted descents. If you're used to running this amount of travel great, just check the link for the frame geometry comparison in the Surly FAQ's sticky. (You want your head/frame angles to be close or identical for similar handling.)

FYI: About the travel- If I remember correctly, your fork has the ETA cartridge, so if you plan on changing the travel at all it involves a new cartridge, etc.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    I remember somebody around here said he sent an e-mail to the Surly guys and they said that anything over 100mm would make the bike handle "like sh!t". It sounds like an answer from Surly, doesn't it? Like Obi said, a 120mm will probably slacken the angle too much, maybe send an e-mail to the Surly guys and ask them about that fork?

Or use the rigid that comes with the frame. Riding rigid can be a lot of fun...

Gittyup!
    Thanks for the feedback. I emailed Surly and they said 100mm is the most they'd put on it. 120 would really wack out the geometry. It's designed around the equivalent of a 80mm fork. I've got a Rock Shox Duke Race collecting dust that I could use I suppose, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have the necessary steerer tube lenght. And I really don't like it anyway. I may check in to getting a new cartridge for the Marz and make that work... but I think it's pricey if I remember correctly. Ah well... I'll figure something out.

As for going fully rigid, I've done it before, but can't say I'd want to do it again I like a *little* bit'o plush in there.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    I remember somebody around here said he sent an e-mail to the Surly guys and they said that anything over 100mm would make the bike handle "like sh!t". It sounds like an answer from Surly, doesn't it? Like Obi said, a 120mm will probably slacken the angle too much, maybe send an e-mail to the Surly guys and ask them about that fork?

Or use the rigid that comes with the frame. Riding rigid can be a lot of fun...

Members who have read this thread: 0