Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Absolute Black Oval Chainring - my review

14K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  burndtjamb 
#1 ·
I just got one of them fancy oval chainrings from Absolute Black. I found out about it thanks to MTBR and their facebook page.

My new bike has a 1x11 drivetrain, and while it's good for Annadel, I was thinking about my 3rd lap at the Boggs race and how I'll probably be wishing for an easier gear. I considered getting a 30-tooth ring for that, but I thought I'd give the oval ring a try.

At its widest point it's like a 32-tooth ring. At the narrowest it's like a 30-tooth ring. It's not the same as Biopace. Biopace was "clocked" different--meaning the wider part of the ring was at a different point relative to the crank arm. Basically when your crank is just above horizontal you're at the widest point in the ring, and when it's just past 6:00, you're at the smallest.

The Absolute Black ring doesn't require a change to the chain length, and as you pedal the rear derailleur moves only the tiniest bit. In fact single speeds are one of the target audiences.

I did the same 23 mile loop at Annadel two weeks in a row--last week with the round 32-tooth ring, and today with the oval ring.

First of all, just riding flat, it doesn't feel weird. After a few pedal strokes, you don't even notice it. It feels natural.

As for climbing, it felt slightly better--on climbs where I often am wishing for a lower gear, I was fine today. I also was much faster on all the strava segments. Now this could totally be a placebo effect--I was excited about a new bike part, so I pedaled faster. Who knows.

I have bad arthritis in my left foot, so pedaling hard can be painful. This chainring definitely made a difference there. I imagine it might also help for those with knee issues.

As far as I can tell there are no drawbacks, other than the cost and all the biopace jokes you'll get. If you see me at Annadel you can try it out.

Here's a pic:
https://i.imgur.com/LRBiRcX.jpg

See less See more
#28 ·
I ordered one but it was the wrong size (XX1 on their site doesn't mean XX1 the product). Guy basically told me to sell it. I wasn't having luck selling it so ask to return it (on my dime) and they never responded. The product looks cool but the service was **** in my opinion.

If I was going to go down this road again, I would avoid just due to the fact they are UK and if you make a mistake, you're kind of screwed. Just my $.02.

#29 ·
I ordered one but it was the wrong size (XX1 on their site doesn't mean XX1 the product). Guy basically told me to sell it. I wasn't having luck selling it so ask to return it (on my dime) and they never responded. The product looks cool but the service was **** in my opinion.

If I was going to go down this road again, I would avoid just due to the fact they are UK and if you make a mistake, you're kind of screwed. Just my $.02.
Sorry to hear that. I too had a very poor customer service experience with Absolute Black.

I ordered one on 1/22/15, and they told me that it shipped on 2/5/15. The only update on my tracking # was that the package sent from Poland on 2015-02-05. As of today, 3/10/15, the package is still not delivered and no further updates on the tracking # for over a month.

I have emailed Absolute Black and was told to be patient and wait a few more days. They stated that it is not their problem, but a problem with USPS. I called USPS and they stated that they never received the shipment from overseas. I requested a refund or a re-shipment from Absolute Black on 2/26/15 and never got a response. I ended up having to file a claim through Paypal to try and get my $ back.

Too bad, I really wanted to try out this chain-ring.

#3 ·
Nice review.

I've been a fan of oval rings since 2012. I've primarily only used them in single speed applications.

In 2012, I won the Pro SS category in the Tahoe-Sierra 100 mile MTB race with a Rotor Qring 34t. So it was like a 36t in my powerstroke and 32 in the deadspots. Worked like a champ. This was in the days before narrow/wide tooth profiles even became a thing and I no issues at all with chain retention.

More recently, I set my single-speed cyclocross bike up with a Rotor QCX1 cyclocross specific single ring. It is a 44T, so it is 46t powerstroke and about 42t through the deadspots. I recently (last weekend) raced the Tainthammer 110 mile gravel race and got 2nd place overall while riding SS. I really thing it helps lessen my fatigue and it does seem like it smooths out my pedal stroked when spinning like mad at high cadences trying to stay with the geared riders. It works.

Absolute Blacks looks nice, but I like the ability of the Rotor rings to fine tune the "clocking" of the ring to best match your pedal stroke. Rotors are more expensive though. Expense is the only con I have found so far.

Here's a photo of the setup I used last weekend at the Tainthammer.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim

#10 ·
Funny, I got one of these and had the exact opposite impression in terms of "feeling easier". I actually thought it felt harder. I could feel the 34T portion of the 32 oval. Did a race where about 1 hour out of 3 was spend in my 32 front, 42 rear granny gear. I was faster up the climbs, but I also felt I put out more effort, and my heart rate showed it as well. It kind of felt like I was just riding in a 34 vs the 32.

I DID feel the smoothness and I did feel like I had a bit more traction while seated at low cadence, but things certainly were not "easier" :)

The next is to ride back to back with a 32 round, 32 oval, and my 34 round and check/see the feel to confirm.

#11 ·
Funny, I got one of these and had the exact opposite impression in terms of "feeling easier". I actually thought it felt harder. .
Double check that you have the ring mounted correctly. The very first time I mounted up a Rotor Qring...I was in a hurry, and I mounted it incorrectly. I essentially oriented so that it was doing the exact opposite of what it is supposed to do! So my first ride on it (on a SS with pretty easy gearing for a trail that I know very well) was very difficult! It sucked. At first I just thought I was fatigued or something and then I double checked the ring and found that I mounted it wrong. So I fixed it...mounted it correctly...and boom...my issues went away.

I thought that was a good unintentional test actually. The theory being that when mounted correct, it helps your pedal stroke....so if you mount it bass-ackwards like I originally did, it will be much harder...and it was.

If that isn't the issue...then I have no other explanation. :)

#12 ·
I have 2 of these rings. Both are 32T. For reference I was riding 30T before. On the geared bike it felt like about the same effort as before but I felt like I was able to ride further before I got tired. On the SS the 32T felt harder than the 30T and It took a couple rides before I can make it up the same hills that I was routinely making with the 30T. Oh and it didn't make me faster at all. But overall I like it since I feel like it makes me less fatigued.

#14 ·
Third season here on a Rotor 34 Single with a Rohloff 16t out back. I am more of a spinner and feel it has an edge in that realm for sure. I also run flat pedals, this is an area these guys don't really market too but in my experience is surely helps. Especially spinning through technical terrain, you just stay more connected as its easier to get through the dead spots in the pedal stroke.

I am sold, not going back. For me chain rings last much longer due to not having derailleur type shifting, so the ring lasts and well worth the money.

#15 ·
I love my AB oval ring. It really helps on the techy up hill. Its weird as it actually makes your pedal stroke feel rounder than a round ring. the other benefit i have found is i feel i can lay down a little more power coming out of a corner.

I have a deal set up with AB, if you order through the absolute Black website and write MarinCA in the note on the purchase they will re-imburse you 50% of the shipping costs :) Also feel free to pass this code along to any riding friends!

#20 ·
How much does the tension change? I run my chain a hair lose anyway (never dropped even once).
I'm also used to a little slack on the chain. With the AB oval tension does change a bit so I took care to adjust the tight spot a bit higher - of course I don't want to destroy bearings or cause resistance to turning the cranks, so it's certainly not like a guitar string. Then the slack spot was still equal to what I normally run with a round ring and never dropped the chain.

#22 ·
Hey...I accidentally bought the wrong Chain Ring from these guys (UK else I would ship it back). Does anyone want to take it off my hands...you can bypass the long wait: Oval XX1 style, 104BCD (brand spanking new) Green. 32 T.

PM me if interested - Thanks!

#27 ·
Just saw on the absolute black FB page that different sizes for GXP direct mount are close:)

"30T is already in anodizer and 28T in production."

Don't forget the code MarinCA to receive a 50% rebate on shipping if purchased through the AB website!

Curious has anyone tried it?

#30 ·
Hi Marty,
You already got an information that your ring is on the way and will be with you tomorrow like I wrote numerous times. Like others told you in different threads you need to be a bit more patient as USPS is slow at the moment and we can't speed it up. So not sure why you write on every single thread you can find with the rings about your terrible experience.
We have sent the goods on time, provided you tracking number and explained it will take longer than normally as USPS is processing parcels very slow from some time.
I hope you do write back tomorrow that you actually received the goods same way as you wrote you are not happy with our service.

Marcin

#34 ·
not really sure what you mean. Title says it is 104bcd, description says it is 104bcd , specification table says it is 104bcd, when you purchase the ring then description at checkout says it too very precisely, so not sure how this can be taken for something else other than 104bcd chainring.

Same with the size. Custoemr needs to know what size he needs as we can only offer an advise and sizing for him available.

I already wrote to you at the time of advise that we will send it with free shipping if you manage to sell it and buy new one.

We really can't be responsible for customers mistakes and then offer free shipping both ways. If the product is faulty or we shipped wrong one, yes I will cover it. But only in such case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.