Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kerr scott trails

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  wi1trackrider 
#1 ·
I off next week and thinking about riding something outside of the Pisgah area....never been to Kerr scott before. First of all, is it closed? Facebook page looks like it is. Do they close during the winter or just after bad weather?

#3 ·
The trails do not close during winter but do close depending on weather. It has been pretty damn wet and they are closed today. Looks like after today no rain in the forecast for the next week so hopefully things will dry out. The Kerr Scott trails are truly awesome. Berm after berm after berm; you won't be able to wipe the grin off your face! Here's some trail description: Mountain Biking | Brushy Mountain Cyclists Club
Also, info on closings is here:
https://twitter.com/kerrscotttrails

Hope the weather works out for you!

#5 ·
I would caution about the Kerr Scott trails - there are several trails there: Dark Mtn, Warrior Creek, and Victory something. Warrior is machine built, the one with all the berms and whoop-ti-dos. IMO, these should only be ridden when very dry, so that you can pin it, rip it, shred it...go very fast. If they are even a little wet, they may not have puddles, but they turn into a slippy, break test, lesson in speed management. Dark is more of a traditional singletrack trail, that I think can withstand more rain (but maybe not worth a dedicated trip). Victory is flat, haven't ridden it much.

#6 ·
Think Tsali on steroids, or at least how to build trails with marginal elevation change. Nothing like Pisgah that is for sure but Warrior Creek is fun. Dark Mountain and OVT meh not so much. OVT is ok as an out and back Dark Mountain is kind of a let down, just not much to it. If you have the time then ride them but Warrior Creek is the gem there. If the weather is decent and since you are up that way I would go check out Rocky Knob.

#7 ·
If you have a whole week to kill and looking to do something different and you can't make it to Arizona or somewhere more tropical I would head to Florida. Alafia, Santos, and Balm Boyette are all pretty fun plus you will get some 70 days. Lots of other cools stuff to do like Kayak the springs.

#8 ·
cool, thanks for all the trail info. I feel like getting out of the mtns for a day or two, to ride something that I probably wouldn't ride any other time of the year b/c I would be riding trails in Asheville instead. I'll definitely take weather into consideration...... I might just go hit Issaqueena lake in Clemson instead, or Jackrabbit. But SWOODBORN is right, all of these trails would be more fun dry.....

#9 ·
...I might just go hit Issaqueena lake in Clemson instead, or Jackrabbit. But SWOODBORN is right, all of these trails would be more fun dry.....
Umm, well, Jackrabbit? I rode that once. Can't remember it. Vaguely recall something like Warrior, but without the berms, or Lake James, or WCU...again, with the rain, and freeze/thaw, on top of bare dirt, machine cut trail? I think they're gonna disappoint, if you've got Pisgah local. I'll stop; it's clear I'm just a trail snob. If it's new to you, ride it. A new trail is a good trail...

#11 ·
I've been to jackrabbit and clemson and know what to expect......been to wilson. I've been riding Pisgah area since '97, and believe it or not, I get kind of bored with it sometimes. So I was just looking for something that is the opposite of pisgah..... Something like Hobby park or Chapel Hill high school....but not that far away. Since I've never ridden at Kerr scott, I'll go there if the weather has been dry for a few days.

#13 ·
If you don't know this already, the trails off the race course areas of Clemson are much more challenging and totally different- tight, twist-y, rooty, steep ups-and-downs. Sign-age, while still confusing, is also improved. I think I can do this from memory...try a loop from main parking lot of...forest road whatever to Double tree back up to forest road to Gideon's to Triple Creek to Doyle Bottom to the far end of Hunting Arrow back on Hunting Arrow back to triple creek then turn off triple creek to do anthill loop then back on triple creek back to Gideon's. This is a great ride.

#16 ·
Not sure how far you're willing to drive, but you may want to check out Stonewall Falls & White Twister in Tiger, GA. It's about 45 min from Clemson. Combine both trails and you'll get about 15 mi. You can get the details on MTB Project. It's definitely different. There's a lot of ridge riding, 5 creek crossings (all but one are rideable), a few rock gardens, several fast downhill sections, some climbing. One side of the loop is very twisty, the other not so much. I find riding Stonewall Falls counter clockwise more fun. If you park on the gravel road near the power lines you can enter White Twister in the middle, ride one half up to Stonewall and after you finish Stonewall, ride the other half of White Twister back to the car.

#17 ·
Could any local Kerr Scott riders give an update on weather conditions there lately? Army Corp of Eng. site not very current. I know water is up in the reservoir and all trails are currently closed - some sections under water. Based on past similar occurrences, and taking into account this time of the year, what kind of timeframe is it for water levels to lower and those sections of the trails to dry out? Do they open up the dam to drop the level quickly, or is a couple day/week process? Heading south to WNC this weekend and was going to break up the drive by spending a night on the reservoir and hopefully get some riding in. Likely possible? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.