Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Long Cold Winter Commute Support Thread 2014/15

26K views 360 replies 48 participants last post by  755872 
G
#1 ·
Not quite officially winter in the lower 48 yet but it's snowing in places, the mornings are dark and the temps are dropping so it's close enough for me.

#2 ·
You can definitely feel the change in the air. We had a bit of a cool spell but the temps are back in the 70's during the day so I am taking full advantage of that. Surely this thread will be blowing up in the next few months when sunny days of 70 degrees are but just a dream....

G
#4 ·
Probably depends on how you dress and ride. I start out as cold as I can stand and usually end up warmer than I'd like, but I don't stop along the way to peel layers. I'll vent or unzip, occasionally I'll change gloves, but that's about it. I figure I can have some happiness in the middle and not spend a significant amount of time adjusting the layers if I'm careful. In 31 years of commuting I'm getting closer to the solution set.

#6 ·
I'm currently in planning stages for the winter....
Step 1: Buy Dillinger 5 for my front wheel
Step 2: Go Tubeless on Front/back (with existing Dillinger 4)
Step 3: Consider new Pogies / winter clothing

Everything went well last year, with the exception of killing a chain in 3 months... so hopefully, I won't need too much change this year.

#25 ·
I've gotten into the habit, being a year round, one bike commuter, of changing my chain every three months and cassette every six. The wet and dirty springs and falls and the salty winters do a job on drive train components. I could probably get by with three chains a year rather than four, but by now I'm just in the habit.

My winter commuting processes and procedures have been pretty much cemented for the past few years, just minor tweaks here and there. Looking at better options for feet and hands - want to remain clipped in and am seriously thinking of asking the wife and daughter to sew up some pogies for me. There are days (-15F and below) where gloves just won't cut it!

I'm excited for winter commuting. I say bring on the snow. It'll lower my overall mileage, but I love the solitude of riding in the silence and dark of winter both in the city and in the woods. That and it means I don't have to worry about bears at all... not that I'm too worried about them anyway, but their poo stinks when it sticks to your tires... ;)

G
#7 ·
Sepulvd, I don't envy your winters or falls. We get some fall rain but winter tends to more cold than anything else in the plains.

Evandy, I'm in the same mode. After this weekends rides, the Fargo goes back to full winter mode (Conti's and Fenders back on) and I'm looking at Pogies this year too. Just got some PI P.R.O. Barrier gloves and I'm pretty excited to try those. Considering switching from shoe covers to dedicated winter shoes.

#10 ·
I've got 2 months before snow will most likely start, but I'm already starting to gear up for winter. I need to buy another rear light, I plan to be extra bright this winter. Not sure if I'm going to try studded or not, I did ok last year with just treaded touring tires. They like their salt up here so ice isn't a huge problem on main roads, but I'm going to try sticking to side street as much as possible.

Right now the worst part of commuting in western NY is the 30 degree temperature swings for a work day commute. Makes dressing and backing a real hassle.

#13 ·
I've got 2 months before snow will most likely start, but I'm already starting to gear up for winter. I need to buy another rear light, I plan to be extra bright this winter. Not sure if I'm going to try studded or not, I did ok last year with just treaded touring tires. They like their salt up here so ice isn't a huge problem on main roads, but I'm going to try sticking to side street as much as possible.

Right now the worst part of commuting in western NY is the 30 degree temperature swings for a work day commute. Makes dressing and backing a real hassle.
Yah.. We have had a weird fall. Dress for 32 in the morning then 80+ in the afternoon. It gets lame lol.

#11 ·
We really didn't have much of a summer in Chicago. If my job wasn't here I would be out before the next winter. I work outside so i really hate the polar vortex. I blame my parents. I should have been born in Miami. I just got into biking too. Hope the real cold holds off for a few more weeks

G
#15 ·
Well the Fargo is winter ready. It will take some time to get used to the fender rattles, but that's why there is always a second bike in the garage. Pulled the brakes down and found a piece of sand or something embedded in the brake pad. Nice gouge in the disc as a reminder.

G
#16 ·
No sign of snow but had a good "winteresk" alibi for not riding in today. Every pathway into town within 5 miles either side of my normal commute was closed due to flooding. I thought (perhaps being too optimistic) that I'd be able to ride in this morning since the rain was tapering off, but we're at the 100 year flood stage in many parts of my neck of the woods. Ended up driving an extra 8 miles and still had to drive through partially obscured roads. Enough.

G
#19 ·
We have cold(ish) temps here this morning and I got a chance to try PI's excellent PRO Barrier Gloves. They're perfect for the span between uninsulated and Lobster Claws. 33 F, warm hands and no puddle of sweat to deal with. Nice.

#21 ·
It is coming, you can just tell around here. Shorts are being put away, long pants are making more of an appearance along with coats and hats. I am holding out for one last blast of an Indian summer, but with each day that passes and it doesn't happen....it only means the inevitable.

G
#22 ·
Still not officially winter but I'm already having difficulty keeping the front of my stomach warm without over heating the rest of my torso. Should have winter shoes by tomorrow, better than booties. So it begins....

#27 ·
I have fought this battle....all the way up from a frozen dick (that hurts).

You need a windproof layer from mid thigh to top of waist....

I have found bike shorts, then long windproof front cycling tights, work the best.

When it gets reall cold, I add a fully breathable layer over top of this, either fleece snowpants, or Swedish army woollen pants.

Windproof outer or mid layer is the key.

G
#26 ·
High tech from the 1928 Tour De France and still a solid solution. I normally wear a wind vest under my outter jacket and may add a layer of fleece (with velcro) to that area. Seems like it would work. I probably need to find a better way to vent my jacket too as my camelbak tends to cover the breathable portion of my current jacket.

#31 ·
This will be my first winter bike commuting in northeast ohio and I'm trying to get a handle on what type of rubber to have on hand for the various conditions. My commute is 14.5 miles each way on suburban streets into downtown Cleveland. I currently ride my road bike to work which I love while the roads are clear and dry but I plan to put it on trainer duty during the winter to keep it out of the salt. This past winter I purchased a fat bike that came with a second wheelset shod with 700c x 47 tires. I also picked up a commuter at my local coop.

So here is my plan. On the days where it is clear, I'll ride the commuter which has urban hybrid tires with a little tread. I'm thinking about picking up some studded 29er tires to put on the second wheelset of the fat bike for days where ice is a distinct possibility and or packed snow. Then I have the fat wheels for fresh snow.

Anyone see any holes in my logic? I'll probably go with some nokians for the studs as they seem well thought of around here.

#32 ·
This will be my first winter bike commuting in northeast ohio and I'm trying to get a handle on what type of rubber to have on hand for the various conditions. My commute is 14.5 miles each way on suburban streets into downtown Cleveland. I currently ride my road bike to work which I love while the roads are clear and dry but I plan to put it on trainer duty during the winter to keep it out of the salt. This past winter I purchased a fat bike that came with a second wheelset shod with 700c x 47 tires. I also picked up a commuter at my local coop.

So here is my plan. On the days where it is clear, I'll ride the commuter which has urban hybrid tires with a little tread. I'm thinking about picking up some studded 29er tires to put on the second wheelset of the fat bike for days where ice is a distinct possibility and or packed snow. Then I have the fat wheels for fresh snow.

Anyone see any holes in my logic? I'll probably go with some nokians for the studs as they seem well thought of around here.
As a long time year round commuter in Anchorage AK, I think you might be putting too much thought into it. Here's my approach: Fatbike year round. First snow, slap the Nates on and roll that all winter long. If it's icy, drop the air pressure way down and ride slow. Fresh snow? Lower the air pressure and ride as fast as possible. Packed snow? Up the air pressure and fly. No snow? Up the pressure a bit more and ride even faster. Granted, conditions in Anchorage might be more variable than in Ohio, but most days it seems like the morning and the afternoons are completely different riding experiences and trying to guess which bike or wheelset is right...a losing proposition.

And I know there will be someone saying that you have to have studs...Last winter we got an ice storm that shut down the city bus lines and nearly shut down the highway. I rode that with no studs and did just fine, apart from one mishap, which was due to my own hubris while passing an olympic XC skier who was out for a run. Studs are nice, but with a fattie, for commuting purposes, they are not absolutely necessary. Of course, with a 14.5 mile commute, I would probably shell out for studded fatties and just roll those.

But then again, I am cheap and don't go in for the N + 1 idea of bike ownership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.