Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moving to DFW area from UK

7K views 68 replies 25 participants last post by  bish 
#1 ·
Well, happy (sunny) days. Moving to the DFW area with work. Bringing my bikes too (even happier days) What's the riding like? Will 5 inches of travel be enough/too much? Is it a busy scene?

#2 ·
Welcome to Texas!

The DFW area has one of the largest MTB interest in the state. There is about a dozen trails in the area and you're generally within 15-30 minutes drive time away from one. As for travel, 5" is more than enough for most trails while also being over kill on some. Check out DORBA for a list of trails and trail conditions: Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association

#3 ·
Thank you, i'm looking forward to it. I've become a fair weather rider in the UK (it's done nothing but rain and snow for the past 6 months) so really mad for some nice weather! Admittedly, summer looks d*mn hot! Would you recommend tubeless?

#5 · (Edited)
Get ready for 100+ or mid 30s(C) with high mumidity in the summer. In the winter it can and will snow. I am about 4 hours west of Dallas, there are trails that a CX bike will work wonders on and others where my Ellsworth 5.5" is very nice. I haven't road out in the DFW area, but there is a place with a super D course near austin. Trail System & Map | Reveille Peak Ranch

Welcome to the great state of texas!

ETA: Tubeless is a must where I live.

#4 ·
I haven't ridden any trails in the UK (or EU), so I can't relay comparable trails. I think 5" travel will be "too much" for most Dallas trails. Relative to the trails that I have ridden around the US, Dallas trails are generally more flat. A good list of Texas trails and directions is at Mountain Bike Texas.

On tubes, they are not necessary for the Dallas area. I ride tubes and the only trail I had consistent flats on is Sansom.

On busiest trails, in my experience, Northshore is the trail where I often pass, get passed, or come upon oncoming hikers. Isle Du Bois is where I come into the least contact with other trail users.

#6 ·
Wow, sounds er, different! i have a cross bike, so that may get some use with that too. Cut nicely into my 'should i sell my Whyte E-120 and get a Santa Cruz Blur XC thread too (looks like i'll trade!)

thanks for the replies, see you out there!

#11 ·
I second the suggestion to the Frisco/Allen/McKinney area. It's a good, safe area, lots of new development still going on. Plus you're close to Erwin Park, Northshore, & Rowlett Creek Preserve. All really good trails, although Northsore is my favorite at the moment.

#13 ·
Lots of good trails in the area,very active MTB scene. I am located in Denton, cool college town about 30 miles North of Dallas and Ft. Worth. 5" of travel is a bit much for most of our trails. The young fast guys seem to go really well on 29er hardtails. I'm older at 51 and my f/s Cannondale Scalpel 29er suits me really well. Fill up your Camelback and bring your sunscreen! It's a huge metroplex explore it thoroughly before you pick a permanent location. Enjoy! Doug

#14 ·
Cheers guys, currently looking at Keller ISD. Also looking to get tubeless as i have seen some threads about 'goat heads'! i had to google them,
but needless to say-they don't look too, er, 'inviting'!

I have lock outs/pro-pedal, so i'll probably use what i have for now. Shame i'm going to miss the Fat tyre event in june :-(

G
#17 ·
I live right by Keller...and yep it s crowded..I still ride my 160mm bike on a lot of trails around here and like most have said it is pretty much over kill..but I can not bring myself to part with it..my 29er HT seems to fit the bill for most everything we have around here..I run tubeless in all my bikes but really only ever had problems at Samson Park...Isle Du Bois and Johnsons Branch just north of Denton are some good trails...the area up around Denton is a cool area as well for living I would imagine...the summers around here can be a beat down for sure...but we still ride em..I just take more breaks than usual when it is hot and drink a lot of water...welcome to the Lone Star State

#18 ·
TIRE? That's what my phone keep trying to tell me too ;-) looking forward to it, Can't beat arriving in late June to acclimatise properly!...I am looking forward to leaving overboots and goretex winter boots in storage though!
Been checking the weather (daily) it looks a bit fresh in the evenings, but looks perfect right now in the daytime. See you all in June!

#19 ·
Unless you will be in your car travelling all day or working out of your house, I'd try and live relatively close to your work. Dallas traffic can be brutal and your commute can take several hours out of your day, especially if you have to get on any of the highways that seem to be in a constant state of construction.

I looked at moving to Denton as one of the other posters did, found some great houses at fair prices, but I'd have to go in at 6:00 am and leave by 3:30 every day just to keep my commute at 40 minutes each way rather than 1:30 minutes each way.

The good news is that just about anywhere you end up living, there will be trails in your area.

#22 ·
Timely post.... Seems like I'll be joining by moving back to ole Tejas later this summer.

Sadly I didn't MTb during my last 10 yr stint there. Instead i raced karts up in Denton by the drag strip.

So what are the trail in and near benbrook ft worth and adjacent loop up around to Keller and or down around Arlington?

I have both a 120 and 150mm FS bikes which from what I recall will likely be overkill for the terrain there.

What would be the "technical" trails with hints of all mnt action if that's applicable to Texas... I have gotten used to north Georgia Alabama trail riding like mulberry gap and oak mountain.

#25 ·
I just read about the east texas trail. It picks up in farmersville, which isn't far from McKinney. It is 140 miles long all the way to new Boston in deep east texas. I read a blog where some guys broke it up in three days and stayed in b&b's and ate in restaurants on the way. I'm interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.