Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

help to choose AA flashlight

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  LIIT 
#1 ·
AA flashlights
I need help to choose a cheap flashlight to velcro to my helmet. My camera and gps run on AA batteries, so my light should also.
I don't want to carry a bunch of different chargers. I followed a few links here with a wide selection of $12 flash lights claiming 200 - 300 lumens. I wonder if any of them have a wide beam pattern. Many flashlights have a narrow bicycle unfriendly pattern.

Any body got a gps, light, camera that runs on lithium batteries¿?¿

This is not a primary light(s) for night riding. I want a light for a camping trip. I try to avoid night riding. Occasionally there is no choice. My Expilion 500 walked off the other day. So I need to order a cheap light soon.

#3 ·
Nothing wrong with torches running off of AA's but torches using AA's vary in brightness even when using the same emitter because it depends on how hard the maker wants to drive the led.

For example the torch that Odtexas mentioned: There is no mention in the ad of the maximum lumen output. It could be 110 lumen , it could be 180 lumen or maybe 280. It depends on what driver the builder is using. You really don't know if they don't tell you.

Personally I don't like the "flood to throw" torches. While they can provide a wider beam it comes at a price. Namely you will have to use the maximum output if you start widening the beam. Otherwise it really doesn't help much. Also you have to deal with the beam artifacts which usually comes in the form of annoying rings.

In the mean time I suggest browsing the Chinese web sites. ( Deal Extreme, Manafont, Outdoor store CNqualitygoods...etc. ) Some cost more than others. Pick your poison. Oh, I should mention that sometimes the ads are wrong about the output. Most torches have narrow beam patterns. That's just the way torches are. You could use a frosted lens to spread the light but you will lose intensity. Good luck on your search. edit: Oh, almost forgot to mention. If you see reviews in the ads be sure to read those and take what is written into consideration. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
I saw a slew of $12 lights on deal extreme. I was wondering if anybody tried some of them.
The designers of Giro helmets seem to have taken velcro and flashlights into consideration.
A small light on both the left and right vents make a well aimed cross beam pattern.
The center vent works well with a flashlight as well.

My lights go for a walk to many times. That is why I am asking about cheap ones.
The Fenix ld20 is a good one for the center vent, but the bandidas like it to.

I don't like to ride at night in the mountains. Sometimes There is just no flat spot to camp.
I am just looking for a light weight simple light.

Thus one looks to heavy

#7 ·
There are AA lights that can compete with 18650 lights, but they have anywhere from 4 to 8 AA cells.

4aa lights you have fenix ld40 or jetbeam pa40, both in 400 lumen range.

8aa lights you have fenix tk40 and newer versions,

there's also 3aa or 6aa from OLIGHT S series

another option might be using a D cell light with aa's by using a AA to D cell adaptor, but I'm not sure how well that would work.

if you're looking for something cheap, then a Cyclone C88 NW is as good as it gets.

#9 ·
I just picked up a trustfire mini 01. It is a cr123 powered keychain light with a fairly decent beam pattern considering the size. It runs an xml t6 so it sucks the battery dry pretty quick but if you order cr123 online they are only a couple bucks. Guys on budget light forum are saying close to 500 lumens which is insane for something smaller than my thumb that costs under 20 bucks. It's really really bright for its size

#10 ·
manbeer, trust me, the CRC123 mini torches are not for everybody. Not that they don't work, it's just that the CRC123 type cells are really small. This makes the torch host itself very small. At first glance you might think "small" = "good". Not so when it comes to an EDC pocket torch. I've own a couple of the smaller torches thinking the same thing only to find later that it is so small it is hard to operate ( with just one hand ). The larger your hands, the harder it is to operate.

Nope, a better solution ( for men with average to large hands ) is a single AA torch. They are a little bit longer, fit better in your hand but are still small enough not to take up too much room in your pocket. Trust me on this.

Some of the AA torches come with the XM-L emitter as well. Usually torches like that are also compatible with the AA size Li-ion cell ( 14500 ) for brighter output. Here is an example > link.

#12 ·
fenix ld20 or two fenix ld10's single 'AA' one' two fish adapter' for handlebars and the 'two fish adapter ''bike block' for the helmet (has straight to straight orientation on the block versus the criss cross one for the handlebars)....the ld10's are so so for night ridin you really need two of them at roughly 110lumens each.. the ld20 is good solo but harder to pack in my on the bike repair kit and bounces if mounted on the handlebars...It would make a good solo light for the helmet... at 200 lumens..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.