Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ukiah - what's it like for riding?

7K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  sbd 
#1 ·
Possibility that I'll relocate to Ukiah and just wanted to get an idea on riding up there before the next round of interviews. The only place I've ridden in the general area is Boggs and Lake Sonoma.
Anyone living up there who wants to comment back I would really appreciate it.
Specifically:
1) If I were to live in Ukiah can I ride my bike to any good MTB trails?
2) What is the riding like in the general (<1 hour drive) area?
3) Are there many people to ride with?

Thanks!

#6 ·
I mtb ride a couple times a week around Ukiah when the trail conditions allow. I've been here 5 years now...at first disappointed, but riding with locals, now see there's a good mix of cross country/DH/cross. Benefits: no head-on's (rarely see anyone around the Lake) or tickets. And it's also nice having the option within an hour to hit Annadale, Boggs, & some primo singletrack on the coast during the hot summer. Not to mention some reportedly nice ST north of here near Grasshopper Peak.
You applying at Red Tale Ale by any chance?

Attachments

#27 ·
I was just out there Sunday without my bike, but went for a short hike to see how the Valley View Trail was after all this wet weather. Snapped some photos.

Overall the main trail was pretty solid and rideable. Definitely overgrown in some spots, so be careful. I hiked up one of the 'alternate' lines and it was much softer (left footprints, but not so bad it stuck or clumped). Found a pretty ambitious jump line.

edit to add: Valley View's really the only formal trail I know out there, but would love to spend some time checking out the rest of the area. Seems like there would be some great trails in those hills.

#3 ·
I have some friends who shuttle Valley View trail which is just east of Ukiah city proper. From the gopro video I've seen, it's a pretty rippin trail. There are also shuttle opportunities in the Mendo Nat'l Forest like an hour away in Lake Pillsbury and Elk Mountain.

G
#4 ·
I grew up in Ukiah, worked at a local bike shop, rode and raced there. There are trails around Lake mendocino, Blues Canyon, Valley View, Low Gap road/singletrack...there are options but, the riding is ok. Boggs is an hour away, Fort Bragg/Mendocino has trails-contact nugjug!
Good Luck

#7 ·
Grasshopper Peak in Humboldt Redwoods Park?
Any of the trails (Pole Line Rd, Look Prairie/Thornton...) in that area have some long, steep, climbs... straight away from wherever you park.
Lots of dirt road, some single track, and spectacular views.
I have more fun at Paradise Royale though, personally.

I finally rode out at Mendo and I want to go back this year many more times.

#19 ·
If you get an off-road motorcycle, there are great OHV parks near Ukiah. Cow Mountain, Penny Pines, CC Camp. Many of us drive up from the SF Bay Area to ride there. With a dual-sport dirt bike, you can connect trails and roads for a hundred miles. (See Sheet Iron dual sport ride)

Ukiah is a nice area, my brother lived there for about 10 years, but watch out where you park your car/truck. Tweakers have been known to rip off items in the OHV parking lots. Cow Mountain is the only OHV park that has a webcam to watch the parking lot.

#20 ·
I'm interested, too.

My sister & me Mum live in Ukiah and I visit every other month or so. Please PM me with your phone numbers & I'll hit you up for the local rides next time.

And thanks for the tip on Dave's- had no idea there was a cool shop in the area.

Gary

#22 ·
Suppose a pertinent question would be how many weeks or months are too miserable to ride (wet, and/or too cold)?
Pretty much none. There are cold ass days here and there in the winter were I stay inside. When its wet there are fire road/gravel roads that stay ridable. Me and my riding buddy night ride all winter...no rules!

Summer can get very hot, so ride in the early am and the weather is killer. When its too hot or when we want a change we popover to Ft Bragg. Its never hot and the trails are super nice.

The variety isnt amazing but enough ways to change it up and keep it fun. I lived in Marin for many years. I greatly prefer it here. No rules, no speed limits, no crowds.

#23 ·
I am part of a group called NorCal Gravity that does shuttles on Valley View. Look us up on Facebook, or if FB gives you hives email me at r.n.lewis707@gmail.com. I'll make sure you get hooked up. Also look up Darwin Smart at Dave's he's a admin of the group (I am as well) he will steer you in the right direction. We have access to build in the area and could use help if your down.

Attachments

#25 ·
Reviving a dead thread here so I'll keep my fingers crossed... I'm going to be returning home at the end of December for a friend's wedding and definitely would like to ride when I'm there if weather permits.

Any advice for trails with the least likelyhood of standing water/tons of mud? i've been living away from Ukiah for over ten years now so any info would be great, maybe even a riding partner for a day or so!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.