Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ninham Tower Trails *Map*

7K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  DBackRider08 
#1 ·
The trails marked Yellow, Red, & Blue match the actual markers.

A good route to become familiar with these trails would be to take a right onto Gipsy Trail Road out of the lower lot, and make a left onto the yellow trail. Stay on the trail until Blue, then make a left @ the service road up to the tower. Follow the Red trail from the cell/microwave tower back down to Gipsy Trail Road where it ends across from the lower lot.

Much credit goes to the Putnam Riders Putnam Riders-- Mountain Biking Association for working with the DEC to make the Ninham trails great!

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey, people
I'm a Long Island guy looking to branch out a bit and get to some good trails off-Island. Would you be able to provide directions to the Ninham Tower trail? Pedal845's pictures from another thread and the feedback from others make this one seem like a great place to ride. And, and it's not too far, win-win. Thanks very much in advance, maybe I'll see you out there.

#5 ·
Check out the Fats in the Cats website. Ninham has excellent trails on both sides of gypsy trail road, ride all of them. An all mountain bike works best there, longer travel FS 26er or 29er, even a lighter FR bike to hit the bigger drops as long as you can climb it as they are very technical trails, but realistically you can make do with any bike.

#6 ·
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check it out.
I ride a Titus RX-1, full suspension XC bike, 4" travel. Lately, I've really been jonesing for a drop seatpost. I think it'll be a sweet addition to the bike that'll help me tackle the hairier stuff upstate. Tax time is coming up, hmm...Not a bad way to spend a refund.

#7 ·
Unfortunately I didn't spend much time there the past two years but when I started riding twelve years ago on a racy hardtail it was my favorite place, though admittedly over my head on that bike. Over the years the trails got gnarlier and the natural stunts got bigger, so did the bikes. Then man made stunts started being built with bigger and bigger bikes, then climbing around on a 35lb bike wasn't as fun anymore. The powers that be found the stunts last year, we almost lost everything. I guess this story is pretty common now as authorities are cracking down on illegal stunts and trails, riding big bikes for that handful of scattered stunts isn't very relevant in our parts much anymore, I think that era is nearly extinct. Now I'm itchin to go back, a new start with one of the new lightish but extremely capable all mountain bikes without all the empty calories of my beloved freeride bike. Ummm, am I rambling again?

#9 ·
Thanks

OP: I have ridden Ninham a few times, since its a little closer to my brothers house. I liked it a lot. So far I have not ridden the Tower side, so this map and your suggestion on route will be very helpful the next time I get up there. I really appreciate it.:thumbsup:

+rep

#11 ·
OP: Hoping to head there soon. Again, thanks for the map. I'm just verifying you suggestion for a tower side exploration. I know where the lot is on Gipsy and I get what you are saying about heading north on Gipsy to catch yellow. I then follow yellow and cross red a couple times before I hit blue. I'll turn left on blue and follow that all the way to tower, right? You mention a service road. Is blue the service road or is there another turn I'll need to make?

#15 ·
I used to only ride on the tower side, but then I somehow mysteriously wound up on the Gipsy Trail Road and was right next to the other side. I didn't have to much time to explore, but it was much flowier and less technical then the tower side. Much easier to ride on a XC hardtail then the tower side.

#17 ·
Your local doesn't know what he is talking about. There was a time when there was strife at Ninham due to unauthorized building of jumps and stuff. That was probably 2 years ago.The internet doesn't have much current info. Sometimes a low profile is better. I live in Rockland County. My brother lives in Westchester. I am by no means "a local", but I'm telling you its open. Please treat it well so it stays that way. We just rode there a few weeks ago.

#19 · (Edited)
It's not true thank God because if you've never been there you're missing out, it is a techy riders dream. A couple years ago some freeriders built some "illegal" stuff in there and the powers that be found them. We almost lost ninham but dedicated riders carefully negotiated with the rangers and lent trail work time and saved it for us :rockon: , we all salute you. Some old trails have been eliminated or rerouted around sensitive areas, but I think the reroutes are much better. You have to ride the parking lot side of ninham, I personally think it has even better trails and at least five times as many, there are scattered natural drops all over the place and more than enough techy rocky stuff to test the best of us. It has always been my favorite place but unfortunately I haven't spent much time there the past couple years, I never seemed to have the right bike, they were either big hitters that sucked for the climbing or too cross country. I'm in the process of acquiring an all mountain bike that I can climb without busting a nut and still ride the fun stuff.

#21 ·
Download the map of the tower side and start there, you'll get a good preview of what the trails are like. The lot side is even better but I have never been able to find a good detailed map of all the trails, I only know them from memory, you will get lost in there without a gps or someone in the know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.