Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Restore Magicshine to factory settings????

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  DeeEight 
#1 ·
My light has high,low and flash but light output is virtually non existent. Meaning I can look directly at the LED when the light is turned compared to my other MJ900 that is blinding to look at. It appears I have some how set it at a low amps so its not getting full power. Is there a way to restore it back to factory settings?

#4 ·
This is a brand new light. All 4 dies are working. Its cycles through the same settings as my other light, High, Low, Strobe. If my original has a claimed output of 900lumens on high (lol) then this light has about 50 lumens max.

I have contacted DX and they have asked me to post on their forum first which I have done. I will give it a few days then request a new light under warranty.

I know the driver in my 7UP light can have the max amp adjusted so thought it may be the same with MS but looks like it does not have that functionality.

#7 ·
Vancbiker said:
I suspect a bad current sense resistor. They are under-spec'd for the application.
...I'll second what Vancbiker said but you might also have a bad connection somewhere inside the lamp or battery. The good part is that buying a new light head is really no big deal ( And you have a lot more options need I say! ). In the old days you had to buy new bulbs on a regular basis. For halogen it was about $20 a shot ( or over $100 for HID ). Then again you might be able to buy a used light head for even less, who knows.

ozlongboarder, let us know how the D/X turn-around works out.

#9 ·
Finally got the new light today.

It cost me $30 to ship the broken light back. They offered to refund the $30 but I took it as a store credit and immediately purchased a new spare battery for my MS. The battery got here a week ago. Pleased to report the replacement light works perfectly. Even better is my wife is loving riding the trails at night.

#10 ·
I'm having that exact problem with one of my bought from geoman magicshines. Of the five lights I got, two I resold to friends. I kept three lightheads for myself and on my night ride wednesday evening, I noticed that the one I had bar mounted on its "high" setting was only outputting about the same as either of my other two lightheads did on their low output modes. I tried other battery packs but the problem remains. I guess i'll have to use this light head for the XML upgrade since its not much good as a light for night rides now. I suppose it'd be fine for an hiking light with the headstrap but that's it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.