Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1998 Acura Integra roof rack alternative.....

6K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  micycle mike 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 Acura Integra that i just got. I used to have a 97 accord with a Thule roof rack on it. Not sure what the foot kit and bars are but there the standard set for most cars. Now from what i have learned the Integra has a special roof rack that only work for those certain cars. Not sure whats so special about this rack at all. My question is has anyone used something on there Integras other then the Thule setup????

#3 ·
i should add that if you have the 2 door and not the 4 door you will probably need the stretch kit from yakima.
again i don't know about thule. i had yakima racks on my 98 civic 2 dr and needed the stretch kit.
if you don't have the stretch kit then the 2 bars are only 1.5 feet apart. not good depending on what you are gonna put up there.

#4 ·
I guess i didn't clarify my self enough. I already have a full Thule roof rack setup on my Honda accord. Thule makes a different setup specifically for the Acura Integra im not sure why but they do. What im trying to get at is i dont want to by a hole new rack when i already have one. Just wasn't sure if anyone on here has or had a Integra that ran into this problem.

#5 ·
You don't want to buy a new rack setup, but you're looking for something different than your Thule setup. So which is it?

Your options seem to be:

A) buy the correct fit kit to put your Thule rack on your Integra (if you have a 2 door you may need a short roof adapter kit in addition to new feet)
B) buy a new rack - you can get a cheap strap on setup, a whole new roof setup, or a hitch setup

#6 ·
lv4sndz said:
I guess i didn't clarify my self enough. I already have a full Thule roof rack setup on my Honda accord. Thule makes a different setup specifically for the Acura Integra im not sure why but they do. What im trying to get at is i dont want to by a hole new rack when i already have one. Just wasn't sure if anyone on here has or had a Integra that ran into this problem.
i don't know anything about thule and i'm too lazy to search their site, but i can't believe they would make you buy a whole new rack setup.
all you need is the "fit kit"
yakima calls them q clips.
thule would not be stupid enough to not do this if yakima does.
what you need to do is call up sport chalet or someplace in your area that sells racks and ask them what you need to put your thule rack on your teg.

#7 ·
I understand that i need a fit kit to adapt from one car to another. I already have a fit kit for the accord but the make a special roof rack system for the Acura Integra. Its called the 409 kit which includes new bars and its own specific fit kit. What i was wondering is if any one that has had or has a Integra tried to make a different fit kit with the standard bars fit a Integra. But i thought i already went over this.

#8 ·
i can't believe that thule would make you buy a new rack to put your old rack on a new car.
that's ridiculous, just made me realize i would never buy a thule rack.

i just looked on thule's site and yes you do need to buy a completely different rack to put on your integra.

i recommend buying a complete yakima rack setup. you can swap them around on different cars and all you need is new q clips for $30. unless you want to put them on a car/suv with factory roof racks.

#9 ·
It seems that the Integra has a special mounting system due to the frame less window setup. It seems that the Thule kit for the Integra includes new load bars becasue the system uses a one-sides system to tighten the rack down to the car. Unfortunetley, it looks like you will need to purchase the new kit to use your rack. On the plus side, you would be able to sell the rack you already have.

Switching to a Yakima setup is another alternative, but beware unless you have universal mounts on your accessories (bike racks, snowboard racks, etc..), you may need to buy new mounts to attach Thule accessories to Yakima load bars.

I wouldn't consider trying to fit your existing setup on the Integra, especially considering the unique window interface. Rack fit kits are vehicle specific for a reason, they need to be secure.

#10 ·
RU Chris said:
It seems that the Integra has a special mounting system due to the frame less window setup. It seems that the Thule kit for the Integra includes new load bars becasue the system uses a one-sides system to tighten the rack down to the car.
I wouldn't consider trying to fit your existing setup on the Integra, especially considering the unique window interface. Rack fit kits are vehicle specific for a reason, they need to be secure.
Not even close....The car does have frames around the windows so no to that one. This is what drives me nuts about forums, a bunch of guys that really have no idea of what they are talking about but think they do and will argue that they do till there blue in the face.
Mike G.

#11 ·
who is arguing?
i told you right away that you don't need a special rack, just the fit kit.
then i told you yakima calls them q clips and i have no idea about thule.
i don't like thule racks and i told you i don't know **** about them.

maybe you should have bought yakima racks in the first place, then you wouldn't need a new rack system for your teg.

you came in here and asked a stupid question.
you want to put a rack on a car that it is not designed for, then you get pissed when people tell you to buy a new rack.

buy a yakima rack and never look back. or if you want you can try to find someone dumb enough to put the wrong rack on their car. maybe they will tell you how they did it. they will probably leave out the fact that their bikes flew off the car at 70mph.

#12 ·
go on honda-tech.com and ask them. they are a bunch of ricers that need roof racks on their cars even if they never use them.
i'm sure the guys there know everything there is too know about roof racks on DC's.
if you need a motor rebuilt i can do that, but i don't know **** about thule. i don't research crap products

#13 ·
My point exactly, i wasn't talking about you i was talking about the other guy. But i guess if you read the hole post you would have read that your posts were informative and true. So why would i be complaining about you in any way. Defensive much.
Mike G.

#14 ·
no...
maybe you should call up a thule rep and ask them your question.
when you ask questions on public forums you get random answers. some times they are correct and sometimes they are wrong.
the other guy (ru chris) is not arguing with anyone.

your first question was " My question is has anyone used something on there Integras other then the Thule setup????"
that is a stupid question, not everyone with an integra uses a thule roof rack setup.

then you explained that you wanted to mount your accord rack on to your integra. even though it's not the right rack.

don't be a cheap ass and buy the correct rack for your car.

i think if you just asked your self this question then you would have gotten the right answer just as easy

next time you should say that your accord rack is a thule XXX and the integra uses the thule XXY. then we will know without having to go to thules website and search for our self.

a proper thread includes all the info you have, before you ask a question.

if i posted on a car forum that my engine mount broke and i was wondering if i could use one from an accord. don't you think that the members of the forum that have the correct answer would need a little more info from me?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.