Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New (used) freeride or DH rig - Bike recommendations

971 views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  latedropbob 
#1 ·
I am looking for some opinions. I currently ride an RFX with a Fox Float 36 fork and a dhx 5.0 coil for the shock. I just stepped my game up to dropping drops. 6' is my max but I am looking to start dropping bigger ones. I am keeping the RFX at 33 lbs so it is essentially my all mountain and XC bike.

I am looking for a bike that will fit my needs. I am living in Colorado so I can ride keystone lift operated runs and some of the private freeride trails along the I70 corridor. We also ride on the freeride trails in grand junction. (where a pedal efficient bike would be nice)

I am tempted to get a freeride with 7 inches of travel and keep it light (low 40 lbs) but I am wondering how much I would befit riding that vs. my RFX. Also, they are hard to find cheap. ASX or Bullit or VP-FREE. Not easy to find around $1000. The only cheaper bikes I can find in the area are more downhill specific. Should I just get the downhill rig and sacrifice pedaling it? Is a V10 too big for my needs? Maybe I am being too specific and there isn't a "magic bullit" to fit my needs. ;) I am mainly trying to avoid having 4 or 5 bikes in the garage

~John

#2 ·
I'd go full on DH if I were you. Your RFX could even do some light freeriding so get something that would not overlap it's intended use.

If your just beginning to go big, chances are your not gonna be as smooth and would possibly make alot of mistakes. The extra squish and added strenght that full on DH rigs such as the V10 would compensate and survive those bad landings more than a 7-8 inch FR rig.

#7 ·
i would say just get a bigger bike. i have an sxt too and i am no where near pushing it to its limits yet. but since you already have a pedal bike i would get a more gravityinspired rig. on the big rig all you need to do is get to the top, it doesnt matter getting tehre first or no dabin or whatever, they are about the DH so consentrate on that.

a bigger bike would be more fun and less work at keystone.

#10 · (Edited)
So how much of an advantage would I have riding a stinky deluxe or a bighit over my RFX. Is there a difference between the two? I know I can build it up beefy and put huge tires on it, which will help. But beyond that, will it be a huge improvement? How would it feel on the downhills vs. the RFX. On drops? Maybe, as some of you said, the bigger bikes would be better then. I am looking at a stinky deluxe with 7" this weekend. Maybe it will work out.

#11 ·
My first FR bike was an 05' Stinky dee-Lux. It was an excellent bike. The only thing I had to do was add heavier springs to the 888. The rest of the bike was solid. They are still around and can be had for a great price. I ride a 5 Spot as well so the Turner builds are sweet, I know. The Kona Stinky like is built to take a real pounding, you wont regret it.

#13 ·
I ended up picking up a Stinky Deluxe for 1000. I think it is a 05 or 06. It needs a new chain and rear derailleur. I will prob just throw on all new cables and housings and a chain tensioner.

Marz 888 - buttery smooth. Fox DHX 4.0 on the rear, in great shape (I think). Hayes Hydraulic with 8" are in great shape. I am pretty stoked. The guy said he never really rode it hard. 5' drop was the biggest.

The cool thing about the bike is that it handles like my turner, but with way more travel. It will be easy to adapt to.

Thanks for the help guys!

#15 ·
I vote for the Intense

I rented a few bikes last summer while doing DH biking on CO. I did not like the Stinky at all. In fairness it was a rental so it was not in great shape. I have also been looking and wanted the DH303 but there were problems with my order. So now I am looking at the intense, which is much more affordable.
www.sackupsports.com

#16 ·
one word for the best in bargain FR/DH... Bullit

I picked up an old school one, (2000) and have been slowly upgrading the parts and I love it more everytime I ride it. Pedals great, goes down like a cheerleader on prom night after a bottle of boones. Plus you're getting solid Santa Cruz technology. Look at all the new single pivots on the market, they all copy the bullit. You can find a cheap frame on flea bay or find a bargain on craigslist. I got mine complete for $500. Already put $300 in parts on her. (not because she needed it, but that I couldn't resist) Good luck in your search!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.