Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moose! public service announcement

3K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Err 
#1 ·
A big huge HELLO to all who are riding Moose!

First off, thanks for participating in the weekly baffonery on our beloved trail. I'm really glad that so many people are getting enjoyment out of it.

I'm writing to all in concern of the maintnence that people have been participating in. It is a fine line we are riding (literaly) in terms of it being too hard for some and too easy for others. I love that the trail now actually has flow and has rippin corners where it used to be a big ol bushwack. However i feel that an awkward log in the middle of a corner that is very difficult to get over is remeiniscent of the original trail builders' vision of Moose.

I feel that if one person can get over an obstacle than it shall remain in place. If if is ruining your flow than perhaps you should look into making a route around and leave the obstacle in place. There are exceptions however. We all remember when i s**t my pants as V Dub did the Impossible Double Log Over twice last summer. That was incredibly difficult to even carry your bike over let alone hop over on one wheel! Let it be noted that other than V Dub perhaps only a handful of riders around the world could pull that move off and V was not unhappy that it was removed. There was also no other way to get around those 2 downed trees.

When i rode Moose last thursday i was a bit suprised to see a new bridge going over the Ryan Leech Side Hop (ditch just past the Anasazi Ladder/boulder). While i think it's totally awesome that people put so much effort into hauling wood that far up there and building a bridge so solid it actulally blocked one of my favorite/most chalanging moves. It was not too hard to wheely over it but to side hop it was really hard for me. PS the jump to the right- is it jumpable? Didn't try it! That's cool! If someone is willing to do that much work to make a bridge then lets make a bridge to a drop over some downed logs or something. And let's do it up as high as possible since people hike up there.

So anyway thanks to all who are riding and maintaining stuff. Just don't ever modify it to make it easier. Obviously if a tree blows over and blocks the trail and whips you in the face or makes the trail unrideable then by all means remove it. Currently i don't think anything needs to be fixed. There needs to be some jumps though!!!!

On saturday 5/19 at 4:30 we are going up for a lap if anyone wants to join us.

Thanks for reading.

Krispy

See less See more
#3 ·
I think there were two big reasons for building the bridge:

A) The creek was being destroyed by those of us who can't hop over it (and progressively getting wider).

B) Make the rock section a little flowier with the the straight-through on the bridge or jumping off the booter over the ditch.

The jump is very jumpable...it doesn't look big enough, but a few people have hit it without issues.

I agree about the ladders and drops - that would be a fun trail feature to implement, and something moose begs for, it seems.

But yeah, there is that nice high log that's fallen...a handsaw would make short work of it.

#4 ·
Krispy -

Dude, seriously bummed that you have lost a cool tech feature. Believe me, I'm a tech rider, and there are few things I hate more than having someone come along and change a trail for the "Better" only to remove some great feature. I admittedly assisted in the bridge construction with the intention of reducing erosion in the creek, and with no intention of making the trail easier.

I'm largely responsible for the jump that is there now, next to the bridge. It's a nice tech feature in and of its self. It is very doable though.

I'd really like to hookup with you and some of the other long time riders of this trail and see what we can do to improve it without destroying its techincal, rugged personality. I think a few more spots are ripe for some jumps and maybe some ladder drops, etc.

My day might get a little crazy tomorrow but I'm going to make an effort to ride with you guys tomorrow to get some insight on the future of Moose.

Oh, and you guys have done a kick @ss job creating that trail, it's a freakin' blast!

#5 ·
If you guys feel that there was an erodion issue then it was a good idea to put the bridge in. Good on ya! I need to just hit the jump then!

Ughh.. i rode it as a loop today-rode the pipeline all the way up from the bottom. Brutal, but it made the whole descent feel even more rewarding.

V Dub sawed down the fallen waist high tree today. Musta been windy up there in the last few days.

Laters!

#6 ·
So we rode with Photo John, and Err I believe today, along with Joss, Dan, Ed, and myself. A few less soldiers than we originally planned, but good times anyway. We did cut out/move the obstructing log. Once again, smooth sailing all the way down. It was my first time checking out the new bridge/jump after the Anasazi ladder. IMO it was a good addition to the trail. I think it's always shocking when you are riding a trail you have put so much work into and see something new that you didn't really think was necessary or imagine being there. After one run to check the line, I hit the ladder and the jump no problem. It flows well and is still difficult. If you don't nail the Anasazi line just right, you can cruise over the bridge. Actually seems pretty dialed to me.

I think our concern is we want to mantain the trails technical diffuculty. If something is rideable (no matter how difficult) leave it to challenge people. If something is obviously not rideable, go ahead and remove/change it for the better. Thanks for everybodys hard work in keeping this trail the best it can be.

Von

#8 ·
So I've got to start this by saying sorry about the new downed tree just after the small, but tight together, double log drops. It accidentally fell when someone climbed it to get a picture. A hand saw can make quick work of it or just clean it up so it's ridable.

Anyways, outside of that, moose is in really great shape. However, somehow we missed the rock and Anasazi ladder. How was that even possible? We just followed the trail. I never missed it last year. There were two cutoff trails which looked to be "closed" with lots of smaller branches. Any idea where I made a wrong turn? I can probably get back up there Tuesday to fix the trail.

Also, any thoughts about adding some stuff lower on the trail? That bottom runout through the trees would be fun with some jumps. Or I was thinking some ladder work/log rides up higher would be cool as long as the original trail didn't lose anything. Opinions?

#9 ·
phatfreeheeler said:
So I've got to start this by saying sorry about the new downed tree just after the small, but tight together, double log drops. It accidentally fell when someone climbed it to get a picture. A hand saw can make quick work of it or just clean it up so it's ridable.

Anyways, outside of that, moose is in really great shape. However, somehow we missed the rock and Anasazi ladder. How was that even possible? We just followed the trail. I never missed it last year. There were two cutoff trails which looked to be "closed" with lots of smaller branches. Any idea where I made a wrong turn? I can probably get back up there Tuesday to fix the trail.

Also, any thoughts about adding some stuff lower on the trail? That bottom runout through the trees would be fun with some jumps. Or I was thinking some ladder work/log rides up higher would be cool as long as the original trail didn't lose anything. Opinions?
There are 2 meadows in the lower section of the trail. The second meadow you come to, right before you get to the creek with the boulder/anasazi ladder, has a right turn smack in the middle of it that's easy to miss in the tall grass. If you go straight ahead it takes you along the opposite side of the creek, bypassing the boulder. The meadow has a few downed trees to ride over and drops down to your right, crossing the creek. If you go miss the turn you find yourself climbing up and along the left bank of the creek.

I hope this makes atleast a little sense.

Jumps are good. I think the consensus is we just need to watch how low on the trail we build them, don't want to attract unwanted attention.

#10 ·
Err said:
There are 2 meadows in the lower section of the trail. The second meadow you come to, right before you get to the creek with the boulder/anasazi ladder, has a right turn smack in the middle of it that's easy to miss in the tall grass. If you go straight ahead it takes you along the opposite side of the creek, bypassing the boulder. The meadow has a few downed trees to ride over and drops down to your right, crossing the creek. If you go miss the turn you find yourself climbing up and along the left bank of the creek.

I hope this makes atleast a little sense.
Perfect sense. Thanks.

#11 ·
phatfreeheeler said:

Luckily the tree landed on my head and broke the photographers fall.:D Awesome trail, reminded me of some of the trails back in the UP of Michigan.

#12 ·
A few pics from Moose last Sunday, Gaugh, Phatfreeheeler, and the infamous crappy photog that was trying to take people out by knocking down trees:
Gaugh and PFH posing and riding at the top:

phatfreeheeler:

Gaugh sequence:

PFH

Gaugh again

Moose freaking rocks, can't wait to go ride it again. This time, no tree climbing though.

#17 ·
JMH- do you have an RC car? Scott's hand is broken, come join the geek squad!

I was riding along last wednesday and ran over a Lawn Gnome Home! As a matter of fact i ran over at least 3 of them! I hope the little gnomes don't mind i use their homes as jumps! (thanks to whoever used their creative expression to put lil jumps on the trail last week)

DUDE!!!!! Last wednesday was EXTRA MOOSEY!! After a day of rain on tuesday i was a wreck! I flew off my bike a few times. Man the logs were slick! Not really muddy but leaves stuck all over the tires made things more intersting! the drop ins were deadly.I was looking foreward to the creek section so my tires would wash off- cleaned the creek all the way through for the 1st time this year!

Also- to put to bed the controversy of the new bridge- the jump to the right is sweet! It does indeed work just fine. I was able to hip a bit to the right and land going down the trail too. Sawwweeet! Thanks!

Krispy

#19 ·
Glad you're diggin' the jump. At some point, I'm thinking of cleaning up the landing just a bit, to give it some nice flow.

Another thought is, at the steeeeeep drop/chute with the right hander, making a line up on top of that long log that's there. Could be a sweet log ride.

#22 ·
Another great night on Moose yesterday, but had a bit of a habit of crashing even though I'm cleaning more and more stuff. I was on a good streak so I guess I was due. Has the approach to the Anasazi Ladder become rougher, or have I just been lucky in the past? Had some hard slams there yesterday. Man it sucks when the front wheel misses that little ladder. It took at least 10 tries to clean it. Half the time I'd snag a pedal going over. :madman: :madman: In the past I'd just roll up and do it. The Gap over the lower dry creek is built up nice right now though. Very smooth.

Your guys trail is selling lots of helmets. I'll be in for something more durable and cheap :)

#23 ·
Dances with Moose

5/30

So i'm shreddin along minding my own buisness...below the Anasazi zone where the trail picks up speed in the tall grass i pop put into an opening and Mrs Moose is right there to my left! She gets startled and is trotting right next to me parallel about 15 feet away! I get on the gas and she darts into the woods- i thought she was going to get into a standoff with me! I hate to bother them, i'm glad she just turned into the woods. She's huge and beautiful. Sweet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.