Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need helmet advice

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  sheppardk 
#1 · (Edited)
Im just started in getting back into riding. All my life i never wore a helmet ( ya it was stuipd) But im hoping to get more aggresive riding. Im still a newb, not to biking, but to aggresive off road stuff. Anyways, i need a helmet. I was thinking in a full face one, since i felt more safe with one when i rode dirtbikes and such. Any recomendations? thanks in advance:D

#6 ·
Yeah, I had a 661, it was the cheapist of the bunch maybe that's why. But you really dont need a full face unless you ride DH or extreem freeride. For me right now for winter I have a BMX helmet with a few more holes drilled in it. Im planning on buying a better summer helmet when the time comes.

#7 ·
haha... now for winter i go everywhere with my full face... even commuting... people give me wierd looks at traffic lights... lol. I'm not too extreme either but better to be safe then sorry cause things always happen when you dont have it... like me busting up my knees the week before my pads came or my face planting in to a treebrance the week before my full face came... lol

#9 ·
Yeah, Im in the east bay. Story about full face. When i was wearing mine I would get weird looks on the street, but one day I got T Boned at an intersection. (not at like 40 mph but i still flew 20 feet) that helmet probably saved my life. And you might ask why I dont wear one? Cause I dont want to spend my money :)

#11 ·
I haven't taken the plunge to a FF...yet. If I keep going more and more agressive, I may consider the Al. For now, I'm using a 3/4 (or what could be called a skater style, but with more vents).

It really is a personal decision. If you feel that the extra protection is warranted, then by all means, grab one and, most importantly, wear it. Myself, I wouldn't mind a 3/4 with a removable bar (a la the old Switchblades) but as they seem to have gone the way of the dodo, I'll have to see what sort of mood I'm in when I am getting the next helmet.

#12 ·
Psycho Mike said:
I haven't taken the plunge to a FF...yet. If I keep going more and more agressive, I may consider the Al. For now, I'm using a 3/4 (or what could be called a skater style, but with more vents).

It really is a personal decision. If you feel that the extra protection is warranted, then by all means, grab one and, most importantly, wear it. Myself, I wouldn't mind a 3/4 with a removable bar (a la the old Switchblades) but as they seem to have gone the way of the dodo, I'll have to see what sort of mood I'm in when I am getting the next helmet.
i think there's a current german company which makes a 3/4 helmet with a removable face mask... they're darn expensive though...

#16 ·
I just changed to a Specialized Deviant. While this seems like a great helmet and it has been very cold it is tough to get used to. I have ridden in about 10 times in the last few weeks. I am still planning on using it only for the next year as my face, jaw, teeth, eyes etc are worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.