Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Questions about CroMoly frame quality

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mack_turtle 
#1 ·
Hello all

I was wondering whether anyone her with proper knowledge could give me some feedback on the quality of the cromo parts in question.

I went to look at a cross/gravel bike called Author Ronin ( AUTHOR Ronin 2017 - triple butted chromoly frame and not having much of an experience with CroMo frames I wasn't sure whether what I was looking at was a result of quality workmanship or just cheaply built (although the bike in question is very well specced)

I took few pictures of the fork dropouts and the brake mounts and I am curious whether people here would find this to be acceptable.

Fork brake mount
Bicycle part Spoke Transport Rim Bicycle drivetrain part

Fork leg
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Spoke

Rear brake mount
Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Mode of transport Bicycle accessory Rim

Fork dropout
Mode of transport Spoke Rim Red Line

Chainstay dropout
Rim Machine Bicycle accessory Auto part Spoke

Apologies for the out of focus images, didn't realize how poor they were until I viewed them on my desktop.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not an authority here, but i'm a hobbyist framebuilder. I have no professional metalwork education/experience at all.

The discoloration you see around the water bottle bosses and dropouts was a stylistic decision. That could have been sanded off with minimal effort. Or covered over with non-translucent paint. It looks like good work from my amateur perspective.

With the brake tab it looks like they used a bunch of filler to connect the tab to the stay. I've never TIG'ed, only brazed, so i have no opinion about this. It's not how i would do it on a frame i was building; i file the tabs so they have full contact with the tube, but my time is free cuz it's a labor of love. That was definitely a time-saver. Philosophically, i don't like it, but depending on the execution and tube wall...? I don't know.

I've seen lots of mediocre work on production frames. If the frame was designed around those practices it's probably fine. I don't feel totally comfortable critiquing a professional's work and i'm just replying so you get a response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.