XX1 Crank arm shattered- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

XX1 Crank arm shattered

So this happened today during a race. Flatish area of trail where I was trying to make a pass. Thought I had come unclipped, looked down and realized there was no pedal there, then had the oh s**t moment. I only have a couple hundred miles on these as they are my HT and I prefer being able to bend over after a ride so the FS gets 99% of my miles. Can't imagine this is normal....is it?

XX1 Crank arm shattered-crankarm.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedood View Post
    So this happened today during a race. Flatish area of trail where I was trying to make a pass. Thought I had come unclipped, looked down and realized there was no pedal there, then had the oh s**t moment. I only have a couple hundred miles on these as they are my HT and I prefer being able to bend over after a ride so the FS gets 99% of my miles. Can't imagine this is normal....is it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crankarm.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	1100274
    Dang! I've had mine for 1.5 years and put it through some chunky DH on my trail bike. Hasn't budged yet but that worries me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

Rent this space for $
    I've seen it. Identical cranks, too. Not mine but a buddy that is an occasional rider and his were virtually brand new. No known significant impacts. SRAM warranted the entire crankset and I don't believe he had to fight for it either, as I recall.

mtbr member
    Thoughts on what caused that?
    Lose pedal?
    Way overtightened pedal?
    Seized/seizing pedal that caused the insert to spin?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Looking at the pic, it looks indeed the insert spun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Not sure if you were asking me, but I have no idea. I dropped it off to my wrench this morning. He called SRAM and sent them the pic. They warranty replaced no questions asked. I actually lost the pedal as well and SRAM is sending a couple of goodies to make up for that. Can't really ask for better customer service from a company.

mtbr member
    Sram is indeed tops when it comes to warranty.
    Was more just putting that out there to anybody as I run these exact cranks as do many of my friends. I've read reports of the insert comming lose, but have never seen one fail like that. If one were maching through a rock garden & failed like yours that could be very bad.

beater
    A friend of mine did this to his XX1 on Friday, landing a ~4 foot drop. He's not a big guy, and he's fairly smooth.

I broke a RF Next SL G4 crank arm the weekend before last, but at least in my case I think it was legit: I jumped a wooden bridge feature that was slightly off the axis of the trail and landed front wheel off, rear wheel on. Leverage on the pedal broke the arm just below the inset, although it didn't wrench it completely off.

mtbr member
    I have seen similar breaks before. Insert comes out through the end of the crank arm. It is a layup problem if it is happening when they are new.