XX Rear Hose TOO Short....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

XX Rear Hose TOO Short....

I just received my XX front/rear brake that I am replacing Elixir CR Mags with on a brand new Epic Marathon 29er Large.

The hose on the rear brake is about 8-10" too short and obviously shorter than the Elixir hose. The caliper fitting is obviously different between the Elixir and XX so swapping and then bleeding is not an option.

I found part #'s for the Elixir fittings/hose but not the XX. I need to have my local shop order parts tomorrow if possible (hopefully AVID is open).

Has anyone else experienced the hose being too short and if so, what did you do?

If there is not an Avid solution that is quick....I guess AVID will get getting a set of XX brakes returned since I can't ride them on this bike.

mtbr member
    Yep. Had the same problem on a medium Epic S-Works. Can't imagine what bike these short hoses fit on... I think Avid needs to rethink the length of the hoses because for me the front was way too long and the rear was too short.
    I ended up shortening the front and purchasing a hose kit for the rear (wasn't really happy about having to buy a new hose for a new brake set that should have come with decent length hose to begin with).
    To add to the hassle, when I called Avid's tech support the guy was clueless. For some reason he couldn't understand that the XX brake caliper had a banjo fitting and not direct threaded hose fitting. He kept telling me the Elixer hose, with a direct threaded fitting, would screw into the XX caliper. Finally I figured out by myself I needed the Juicy Ultimate hose kit.

I ordered a replacement hose kit from Universal Cycle.
    Item No.: 1802-65653 Avid Hose Kits 07+ Juicy 7/5 Carbon, Ultimate Hydraulic AL (Complete Hose Kit)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Awesome. Thanks Chuck. I also finally realized today by pics and checking a friends bike that the Juicy will work. I'm just hoping my local shop has one in stock.

I agree with you that it's unexplainable why AVID made such a poor decision.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    My guess is they made the hose just long enough to fit average sized xc race bikes (none of that goofy 29er or full suspension biz) to get the weight low enough for the internet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I spoke with SRAM about this and there customer service is aware and was extremely helpful with a few ideas and even took the initiative to call my local shop and talk to them.

Without going into all of the details, the support SRAM provided made me proud to ride a bike will full SRAM groupo (XX) and also for supporting my local shop.

Members who have read this thread: 0