Xo- Mtbr.com

Thread: Xo

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Xo

I just degreased my drive train using an orange peel based degreaser. I asked the salesman at my LBS if it was harmful to paint and he said "no". I guess I should have asked about stickers. Because it ate up my rear der. sticker like it was nothing. It is actually like a spray painted logo. I know to some it would be no big deal but the red XO looked pretty good on a red bike. My question is, are there XO stickers available? for the rear der.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-15-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    I just degreased my drive train using an orange peel based degreaser. I asked the salesman at my LBS if it was harmful to paint and he said "no". I guess I should have asked about stickers. Because it ate up my rear der. sticker like it was nothing. It is actually like a spray painted logo. I know to some it would be no big deal but the red XO looked pretty good on a red bike. My question is, are there XO stickers available? for the rear der.
    Anybody know where I can get a sticker like this?

Apparently these don't exsist DJ.

Never enough time to ride
    They are a dry transfer style decal and to the best of my knowledge are not available aftermarket. I did the same thing to one a few years back and just kind of had to live with it...kinda sucked.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Quote Originally Posted by squish View Post
    They are a dry transfer style decal and to the best of my knowledge are not available aftermarket. I did the same thing to one a few years back and just kind of had to live with it...kinda sucked.

happy trails...

squish
    Thanks Swish for your input and yes it does suck. You pay the extra coin for a *****ing looking part and something this stupid happens. If anybody else know if these stickers are available please chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by squish View Post

happy trails...

squish
    Thanks Squish for your input and yes it does suck. You pay the extra coin for a sweet looking part and something this stupid happens. If anybody else knows if these stickers are available please chime in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Unfortunately it's not a sticker it's likely a water or heat transfer decal.

As with any solvent you should experiment on an inconspicuous area before applying to your whole bike.

Also, keep those acid based solvents away from your chain, they can promote hydrogen embrittlement.

Quote Originally Posted by rammer View Post
    Unfortunately it's not a sticker it's likely a water or heat transfer decal.

As with any solvent you should experiment on an inconspicuous area before applying to your whole bike.

Also, keep those acid based solvents away from your chain, they can promote hydrogen embrittlement.
    Thank's, but if you read my original post you would see that I used an Orange based degreaser on my "drivetrain" not my whole bike. Apparently while spraying the cassette I got some overspray on the rear der. I. wiped it off and that "heat transfer" decal came off like it was nothing. I was pissed because an "orange based" degreaser is suppose to be somewhat mild and unharmful to the environment due to it being a natural acid. It worked great as a drivtrain degreaser but just a warning for others to watch the overspray. Which I wish the dude who sold it to me would have warned. I actually asked him if it was harmful to paint so as to be careful with the overspray, he responded "it's natural and paint friendly". Granted this decal is definitely more fragile than frame paint, looks like I learned a lesson. Back to my original question, how would I duplicate that sticker? Heat treated transfer is most likely out of the question to duplicate.

Hydrogen embrittlment? Huh?
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-25-2011 at 09:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    As with any solvent you should experiment on an inconspicuous area before applying to your <del>whole bike</del> drivetrain and then splatter it over the rest of your bike.

Heat applied and pad printed decals and are common on most components: handlebars, seatposts, stems, etc. You'd probably remove all those too if you used the same degreaser on them, if not immediately then over time. Heat applied decals on plastic, anodized aluminum, etc. probably have far less adhesion than a paint on a primered frame, so that can explain why your paint didn't come off the frame.

Back in the day we used to use acetone to take the ugly pad print logos off our parts to give them the "clean" look, made them look better when the logos got scratched up. The car guys call it debadging.

Quote Originally Posted by rammer View Post
    As with any solvent you should experiment on an inconspicuous area before applying to your <del>whole bike</del> drivetrain and then splatter it over the rest of your bike.

Heat applied and pad printed decals and are common on most components: handlebars, seatposts, stems, etc. You'd probably remove all those too if you used the same degreaser on them, if not immediately then over time. Heat applifed decals on plastic, anodized aluminum, etc. probably have far less adhesion than a paint on a primered frame, so that can explain why your paint didn't come off the frame.

Back in the day we used to use acetone to take the ugly pad print logos off our parts to give them the "clean" look, made them look better when the logos got scratched up. The car guys call it debadging.
    Yeah I'm a car Guy also and am familier with that. Never was a fan. As far as my paint I didn't get it on my paint. I was careful of the overspray just not careful enough. A small omount got on the der. I was the one who asked the shop salesman/mechanic "is this harmful to paint" he responded with "it's.a natural orange acid and paint friendly". I'm an older gut of 50 and have been around all types of solvents working on various cars,motorcycles,jet skis,snowmobiles,bikes extra. so I know how damaging they can be.. That is why I chose the orange based product. Anyway I guess I'm out of luck with replicating that heat transfer or sticker.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-31-2011 at 07:43 AM.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Not sure if it'll be worth it, but SRAM's website says "some" product decals can be ordered through your local dealer.. might be worth going and asking... maybe gently hint you'd like help with it as it was his recommendation on the product that cause the issue..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Not sure if it'll be worth it, but SRAM's website says "some" product decals can be ordered through your local dealer.. might be worth going and asking... maybe gently hint you'd like help with it as it was his recommendation on the product that cause the issue..
    Thanks! I didn't notice that on SRAMS site. I did recently ask a salesman at my lbs about sticker availability. He said no they don't make any. It pays to go to several shops asking such questions. Some guys think just because they haven't seen something it doesn't exsist. And some are Just too plain lazy to check into it.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Thanks! I didn't notice that on SRAMS site. I did recently ask a salesman at my lbs about sticker availability. He said no they don't make any. It pays to go to several shops asking such questions. Some guys think just because they haven't seen something it doesn't exsist. And some are Just too plain lazy to check into it.
    well I actually looked for "stickers" which they will send you... like bumper stickers and window stickers.. but it says at the bottom of the page in big red letters that these are NOT product decals and that those have to go through your local dealer... now wither you can actually get those little letters for the derail...?

WOW. just found this too.. not sure if it'll work for you but...?

SRAM XO Shifter Deraileur Mountain Road STICKER/DECAL | eBay
    also..
    Sram XO Decals. Singletrack Forum

just options.. maybe cut to thumb print off the letters with an x-acto knife?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

well I actually looked for "stickers" which they will send you... like bumper stickers and window stickers.. but it says at the bottom of the page in big red letters that these are NOT product decals and that those have to go through your local dealer... now wither you can actually get those little letters for the derail...?

also..

Hmmm interesting, thanks for those links. There could be some possibilities there. Although all the ones shown look different and bigger they may work. I will have to look into it. Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Hmmm interesting, thanks for those links. There could be some possibilities there. Although all the ones shown look different and bigger they may work. I will have to look into it. Thanks again!
    no prob hell for 4 or 5 bucks it's worth a look ..

also..

no prob hell for 4 or 5 bucks it's worth a look ..
    Yeah really what's five bucks right? I started this thread back in May and you are the first to actually address my problem. Although I did learn how half hazardly my use of solvents was.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.