XD Driver Issues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

XD Driver Issues

Question for those with more knowledge on XD goodies...as I'm still new to the XD world.

Last night while cleaning my drivetrain I had a very hard time getting my cassette off (XG 1150 & SRAM Rail 40) as if someone at the factory had super torqued it on. It finally came loose but not the way I believe it was supposed to.

The outer bearing and cap/axle stayed inside the cassette while the driver was exposed and still on the hub. I couldn't get the bearing out of the cassette which didn't seem normal as I didn't want to try too hard. I tried spinning it out which did nothing.

It ultimately went back together well enough but I'm suspect that something isn't quite right with it. Works great though for now. Any ideas?

And sorry, I failed in the pic department - I might take it off again and see what happens and come back with pics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Make sure there's heaps of grease between cassette and freehub to aid future removal. I've seen the splines for removal on the cassette strip out before loosening if no grease.

Also, quite often the bearing and end cap comes off in the cassette. Place the cassette flat and give the end cap a tap with a plastic mallet. The bearing and end cap will drop out of the cassette. Reinstall on the axle. When you reinstall the cassette it will seat the bearing correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    Make sure there's heaps of grease between cassette and freehub to aid future removal. I've seen the splines for removal on the cassette strip out before loosening if no grease.

Also, quite often the bearing and end cap comes off in the cassette. Place the cassette flat and give the end cap a tap with a plastic mallet. The bearing and end cap will drop out of the cassette. Reinstall on the axle. When you reinstall the cassette it will seat the bearing correctly.
    Cool thanks, I figured as much but didn't want to force it out. I'll give it a go again soon.