• 01-20-2012
    Flboy
    X9 vs XO RD with XO shifter
    I am looking to upgrade my 1 x 9 drivetrain to a 1 x 10. Chain and cassette are shot so what the hell. I really like the feel of the XO shifters so I am deffinatley going to get the XO rear shifter. BUT I am not sold on the XO RD. I would like it, but it seems like a lot of extra cash for not a huge improvement over the X9.

X9 - bushings for jockey wheels and a few ~20gms heavier
    XO - Bearings for jockey wheels and a few grams lighter

If anyone has any expeirence with both I would apereciate the input. I have been doing a bit of research and the conclusion so far is that the X9 is just fine unless you are racing where miniscule improvements can make the difference between a 1st and a 2nd place finish.
  • 01-21-2012
    equalme
    You probably wont tell the difference while riding.

I went for the xo just to have the complete drivetrain..but it was only $50 more than the x9.
  • 01-22-2012
    FujNoob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    You probably wont tell the difference while riding.

+1

I have the X9 and it shifts great. :thumbsup: You would probably be happy with either.
  • 01-22-2012
    92gli
    I don't think there's enough benefits to justify the big price difference between the x9 and x0.
  • 01-22-2012
    canonshooter
    I have two comments and they are soley based on my opinion...

#1 Currently with all the hype of 10spd you can pick off 9spd X0 stuff for good prices. For example...Cambria had 990 cassettes for $60. If you feel like you dont have tall enough gear than go with 11-34 cassette.

#2 In my opinion, while x9 is very very nice stuff x0 is BETTER. Not only because of the weight but the shifting, build quality, etc.

At this stage of the game I would not pay a premium to go to 10spd...Keep the 1x9 and buy x0. eBay is your friend you can pick up rear der., cassette, and shifter for $150 or less.

good luck!
  • 01-23-2012
    Flboy
    Thanks for the replies, like I mentioned I am in for a new cassette and chain regardless. The 36 sproket would be a very benificial bail out gear. Also doesn't 10 spd shift a bit better or is that just marketing hype? No doubt it would be cheaper and easier just to keep what I have got but I do suffer from a bad case of upgadeitis.
  • 01-23-2012
    FujNoob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flboy View Post
    Also doesn't 10 spd shift a bit better or is that just marketing hype?

Not hype. It does.:yesnod: Rear shifting for me is quicker and smoother that what I had but the front shifting is outstanding.
  • 01-23-2012
    canonshooter
    I don't know. I have ridden the 10 spd stuff and comparing x0 to x0 I couldn't notice much difference. J would definitely upgrade but I would stay with 9 spd.
  • 01-30-2012
    onlyontwo
    I have ridden both XO and X9 1x set-ups with a mix of all of the above. I truly feel the XO shifter feels much better than the X9. I usually run an XO shifter and X9 rear der. Take that extra $50 bucks and spring for the PG1080 XO cassette. It is sexy time.

Cheers,
    A
  • 01-30-2012
    equalme
    Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyontwo View Post
    I have ridden both XO and X9 1x set-ups with a mix of all of the above. I truly feel the XO shifter feels much better than the X9. I usually run an XO shifter and X9 rear der. Take that extra $50 bucks and spring for the PG1080 XO cassette. It is sexy time.

Cheers,
    A

XG-1080 is the model for XO.
  • 01-30-2012
    Flboy
    I ended up gettign a 9sp XT cassette before a long weekend trip of riding. I didn't feel like I was in dire need of a lower gear so I think I am goin got pick up a 9 sp XO shifter. I also might get a short cage X9 rd down the road for the helluvit. The short cage RD's shift a bit tighter don't they?
  • 01-31-2012
    canonshooter
    Yes. But make sure you have enough room that you don't rip the arm off.