X9 Rear Deraileur issues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

X9 Rear Deraileur issues

I have a relatively new x9 rear deraileur (4 rides) and it seems sticky / or has a weak spring. It's a mid cage and I have it set up as a 1x9. It does not want to shift onto the smallest cog cause it seems to not move freely at that point. Has anyone else ever experenced this? Any possible solutions? Can stronger spring be installed?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Do you have a receipt? Did it come on a new bike? If so take it to a Local bike shop and have them warranty it through SRAM. the x-9 2009 deraillers were a new design. they have issues. I just got mine warrantied.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I got an X9 and had the same problems, cleaned it out squirted some dry lube ( forced by aerosol) into the pivots and it works fine now. I also used it heaps more and think it might have freed up some.

Hay Ewe

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    As stated on here, this is a known issue with Sram now. I sent the derailleur back (thorugh the local shop) and Sram then replaced the X9 with a new X0... Great Service for sure!

Ben-Jammin
    I just had to replace both of the pulleys in my '09-'10 x9 derailleur after the bushings developed some serious play.

Looks like I should have just warrantied it for something better through my LBS rather than being a do-it-myself-er. :P

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I keep having problems with them getting stuck on my 34t and not wanting to shift back down. But I have always had problems with them not getting to the H cog.

And not to mention the 2010 ones have a big flaw that Sram is sweeping under the rug.

mtbr member
    And not to mention the 2010 ones have a big flaw that Sram is sweeping under the rug.[/QUOTE]

Could you elaborate on this a little? I just bought a 2010 X.9 rear der. to replace my older, banged up X.9 (2006). I have not been able to make it shift correctly. Ended up putting the old one back on and it works fine. Thanks, CK

The SRAM guy
    If the RD is slow going to or coming off of the big cog, your chain gap is probably too small. increase chain gap by tightening (screwing in) the screw on the back of the B-Knuckle. Another symptom is a rattling or bumping sound as you try to make that shift.
    Chris Hilton

Members who have read this thread: 0