Where to buy SRAM XX chainrings?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Where to buy SRAM XX chainrings?

OK first piece of my Cannondale flash 29er carbon & SRAM XX build has been put into place the SRAM XX spider for the Cannondale hollowgram cranks has been acquired now i need to find where i can get the 26/39 SRAM XX chainrings.

any clues where i might be able to start my search?

LA CHÈVRE
    Can't wait to see that bike!

Have you asked your LBS? They might be able to order them from SRAM, if they don't have part numbers, at least they can get in touch with SRAM to have the availability info. I haven't seen them any place online... Same thing for spare alu big cogs for the cassette although I'll need to wear mine down a bit first so it's not a hurry.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    yeah i know the "easy" answer is to ask the LBS but like to do things the most difficult and stressful way possible.

I looked at the QBP and BTI online catalogs and they didn't have any info.

mtbr member
    well...since no one on this side of the ocean can give me an estimate of when the distributors quality, BTI etc...will have them and calling SRAM direct got me nowhere along with trying to going through my dealer, i took a leap of faith and ordered some from http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=42790 hopefully their estimated arrival time is some what correct.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Wow, those rings are mucho expensivo! They're just machined aluminum???
    Tallboy3c : Stigmata2 : Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    well...since no one on this side of the ocean can give me an estimate of when the distributors quality, BTI etc...will have them and calling SRAM direct got me nowhere along with trying to going through my dealer, i took a leap of faith and ordered some from http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=42790 hopefully their estimated arrival time is some what correct.
    Don't hold your breath on these. I ordered my Sram XX PressFit 30 Bottom Bracket from them. Their website showed IN STOCK and they confirmed it through e-mail as well. After two weeks of waiting. They sent me an e-mail cancelling the order because they didn't have it in stock. Try to work with BTI. They came through for me with my BB30 XX Crank when nobody else could.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    Don't hold your breath on these. I ordered my Sram XX PressFit 30 Bottom Bracket from them. Their website showed IN STOCK and they confirmed it through e-mail as well. After two weeks of waiting. They sent me an e-mail cancelling the order because they didn't have it in stock. Try to work with BTI. They came through for me with my BB30 XX Crank when nobody else could.
    I'm waiting on my cannondale flash carbon 29er that i ordered back in September. I've got all the SRAM XX stuff sitting in boxes waiting along with the cannondale hollowgram sl crankarms and SRAM XX spider that these chainrings will go on.

Calling SRAM direct got me nowhere having my dealer call Quality & BTI got him nowhere so when i saw these rings on chainreaction.com i put in an order...if somehow this too is vaporware i'll just end up buying the damn 39/26 crankset and using those rings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm waiting on my cannondale flash carbon 29er that i ordered back in September. I've got all the SRAM XX stuff sitting in boxes waiting along with the cannondale hollowgram sl crankarms and SRAM XX spider that these chainrings will go on.

Calling SRAM direct got me nowhere having my dealer call Quality & BTI got him nowhere so when i saw these rings on chainreaction.com i put in an order...if somehow this too is vaporware i'll just end up buying the damn 39/26 crankset and using those rings.
    I feel your frustration. It took me over two months to acquire the XX stuff. The PressFit BB30 was especially difficult to get. I hope it all pays off.

mtbr member
    I feel your frustration. It took me over two months to acquire the XX stuff. The PressFit BB30 was especially difficult to get. I hope it all pays off.
    Expect disappointment…

I got all my SRAM XX stuff off eBay because I like instant gratification and I’m a cheap bastard.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How do you know which rings those are? There is no description as to how many teeth they are.

LA CHÈVRE
    How do you know which rings those are? There is no description as to how many teeth they are.
    What? There are two 'BUY' buttons, one is for a 26-39 combo, the other for 28-42... toward the right of the page... sizes are under 'option' and you get the two rings I guess, no single ring options...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    What? There are two 'BUY' buttons, one is for a 26-39 combo, the other for 28-42... toward the right of the page... sizes are under 'option' and you get the two rings I guess, no single ring options...
    Got it. I didn't see the option as it is listed as 26.39 and 28.42. I've all ready got a crank with 26-39 but I'm going to be running 650b so I may want 28-42. Hard to tell until I get it built and can ride some trails. Needless to say after the debacle I had with them and my BB30 I doubt I order from them again. BTW did you figure out how to adjust the paddle angle on your XX shifters?

LA CHÈVRE
    BTW did you figure out how to adjust the paddle angle on your XX shifters?
    I found out how while playing with it, I had the right bolt but... even undone, it wouldn't move at all, when trying to rotate it, it shifts and even at the end of the stroke, I stopped when I was starting to feel the lever would snap before it rotates. I'm guessing I have to pull it down or off the shifter and replace it at the correct angle maybe, even if the manual just says to undo the bolt, rotate, tighten again... I just didn't investigated much yet, my bike is slowly getting rebuilt, I install one part per week but fine-tuning the trigger position is probably one of the last things I'll do...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So did you recieve the rings?

mtbr member
    So did you recieve the rings?
    Yes mine came in the mail yesterday and to my surprise they were attached to a specialized sram xx spider.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You know when I was looking at the description it said something about a spider being included but a I kinda blew it off. I thought maybe it was the C'dale spider. Anyway it's nice to know they are available. I'm building a 650b bike so I fall between the 29er and 26 inch gear ratios. I went with the 39/26 ratio with the bigger wheels but if that's too low I'll order the rings in the higher ratio. What was the price shipped in US dollars?

mtbr member
    What was the price shipped in US dollars?
    $125 rings + $16.50 shipping = $141.50 was the total

i needed the rings as was willing to purchase the entire crankset for them so $141 was cheap and i'll eBay the sram xx spider to off set the cost of the rings.

gone for a bike ride
    great info HAL 9000, i let the peeps know on the Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper thread

mtbr member

New question here.

Does anyone know where to buy the small chainring on the Sram XX?

Would like to replace 28T to 26T so I will have 42T-26T chainring on my XX crankset
    White is not a colour

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by XgreygOOse
    Does anyone know where to buy the small chainring on the Sram XX?

Would like to replace 28T to 26T so I will have 42T-26T chainring on my XX crankset
    You do know that by doing so, shifting will suffer, by how much, not sure...

mtbr member
    You do know that by doing so, shifting will suffer, by how much, not sure...
    No, I didn't know that. I do know that eliflap is doing this setup on his bike. Maybe I'll wait and ask him how slow/bad the shifting gets. Or just try out the 39T-26T set up.
    White is not a colour

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by XgreygOOse
    No, I didn't know that. I do know that eliflap is doing this setup on his bike. Maybe I'll wait and ask him how slow/bad the shifting gets. Or just try out the 39T-26T set up.
    SRAM claims shifting is much faster and optimized when the number of teeth of the rings are in a 2:3 ratio. That's why the are 26/39, 28/42 and 30/45 eventually... It does make sense and the reports that XX has the best, smoothest and fastest front shifting by far seems to support their theory.

mtbr member
    We just spoke with the folks at Rotor and they’ve got some hot new versions of their 3D cranksets in the pipeline.

Come Sea Otter, look for several fresh iterations of the fairly new 3D cranks for both road and mountain bike applications. On the road side, they’re developing BB30 compatible cranksets, and rings that’ll work with Zipp’s VumaQuad crankset (but not the VumaChronos…yet). While Rotor does offer bottom brackets, they’re still working on whether to offer BB30 bearings since most BB30 frames have the bearings already pressed in. If they do, look for them to come from Endura.

For mountain bikers, they’ll have SRAM XX compatible rings and maybe, just maybe, a BB30 option, too. Rotor says the vast majority of BB30 demand is on the road side.
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/01/19/...ble-cranksets/

FYI if i was not able to of gotten the sram xx spider for the cannondale hollogram cranks i was looking at the rotor rings 40/27, 110/74 BCD option for my 29er set up this might be an option for you xgreygoose

LA CHÈVRE
    And where would you get a 110/74 spider for the Hollowgram? Cannondale makes a 110 road compact but without the 74 BCD for the small ring... and the offset would be way off on a mountain bike. At least, on the 110 BCD spider I have...

mtbr member
    And where would you get a 110/74 spider for the Hollowgram? Cannondale makes a 110 road compact but without the 74 BCD for the small ring... and the offset would be way off on a mountain bike. At least, on the 110 BCD spider I have...
    well Dan that’s why you’re the expert and I’m the guy that’s waiting on the correct front derailleur to show up for his bike that’s sitting in the shop still since know just enough about bikes to make me sound like I know what I’m talking about but in reality I’m an idiot and ordered the correct tooth size and bottom pull direct mount derailleur but in the wrong bolt spacing.

I didn’t know that the rotor rings would not fit on the Cannondale hollograms spiders perhaps in their infinite wisdom Cannondale would publish a hollowgram spindle and spider compatibility pdf one day so wannabe know-it-alls like myself would stop putting their foot in their mouths so often.

LA CHÈVRE
    Available Hollowgram spiders:

MTB double - 5-bolt 94 BCD for 68mm BB shells - not much lateral offset
    MTB double - 5-bolt 94 BCD for 73mm BB shells - more lateral offset toward the frame
    MTB double XX - 4-bolt 120/80 BCD
    MTB triple - 4-bolt 104/64 BCD
    ROAD double standard - 130 BCD - offset toward the outside of the bike
    ROAD double compact - 110 BCD - offset toward the outside of the bike
    ROAD SRM double standard - 130 BCD - offset toward the outside of the bike

Then you have all the versions that have not been available for some time now or never were like the MTB triple 5-bolt 94, ROAD 135 Campagnolo, various offset for older, narrower spindles....

Maybe you can contact Mattias (not sure how he writes his name), the scandinavian friend who does custom rings and parts, he did custom spiders for eliflap...

mtbr member

Then you have all the versions that have not been available for some time now or never were like the MTB triple 5-bolt 94, ROAD 135 Campagnolo.
    Ha!

I have both of those!

LA CHÈVRE
    I have a collection of spiders and spindles of my own too...

Members who have read this thread: 1