What SRAM parts contend with Shimano SLX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016

What SRAM parts contend with Shimano SLX

Haven't been keeping up with SRAM, but see that they have a bunch of new lineups. Last I heard X7 was sort of in between SLX and XT, and X5 was between SLX and Deore, but that was from a while ago. Wondering if SRAM has anything that is similar to or competes with Shimano's SLX from their new stuff (NX, GX, X1, XO1, XX1, Eagle). How about for chains, brakes and other non-drivetrain stuff too?

Based on prices, doesn't seem like SRAM cares about the budget/high value end and that they're catering to the guys that pay $3500+ for bikes. With retailers pretty much selling Shimano at cost, looks like anything pick-and-build based that I do will be from Shimano at this point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    XO1 is to XT what XX1 is to XTR. I'm not sure about the other stuff. Definitely take a look at the 'loose pedal thread' defect associated with SRAM carbon cranks before you make your buying decision. Next time I will go with XT or XTR drivetrain, not SRAM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    XO1 is supposed to SRAM's DH line so equivalent to Saint. NX or X9 is about what XT is and X7 I suppose would be SLX. SRAM have all the money invested in innovation but their quality control department needs a much bigger budget.

mtbr member
    I would put the X7/GX at the SLX level. X0/X01 to XTR. XX1 I would say is above XTR (mechanical). XX1 has ceramic bearings in the pulleys and carbon cage in the rear derailleur. XX1 also has carbon bits in the shifter that Shimano doesn't have. The prices on XX1 reflect that.

The X9 pull lever runs on ball bearings, you don't get that with Shimano until XTR.

I got a chance to fiddle with the M8000 and M9000 shifting. The cable pull is stiffer than the previous versions. They feel stiffer...like SRAM.

mtbr member
    XT since at least 9 speed M770 also has ball bearings in the shifter. 2 bearings in XT, 4 bearings in Saint & XTR. See the tech docs here:
    2016-2017 SHIMANO Product Information Web

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    XO1 is supposed to SRAM's DH line so equivalent to Saint. NX or X9 is about what XT is and X7 I suppose would be SLX. SRAM have all the money invested in innovation but their quality control department needs a much bigger budget.

I recall when XO1 first came out in around late 2013 it was not considered a downhill crank. now it sounds like it is..

Trail Ninja
    Roughly goes like this, with Shimano slotting in between the SRAM groups, not quite being equivalents:

XX1-Eagle/XX1/XX
    XTR/Saint
    XO1-Eagle/XO1/XO1-DH/XO/XO-DH
    XT
    X1/EX1*/X9
    SLX/Zee
    GX/GX-DH/X7
    Deore
    NX/X5
    Alivio
    X4
    Acera
    X3
    Altus
    Tourney

*SRAM EX1 group is a weird one. Has a GX quality RD but with NX cage, a basic non-hollow-forged crank but with an unique direct mount with quality slotting between 1200 and 1400, XO1 quality cassette, GX quality chain, GX quality shifter... kind of averages out to slot in just under X1.

Note: groups split by a "/" are also ranked highest left to right. Ex. Saint slots in between XTR and XT.

I haven't seen that link in a while, Aresab. Browsed through and verified a few things like why an XTR BB feels a lot different from their others, making it far less ideal for big hit bikes, and more suited to XC racing. Also seeing why SLX is quickly becoming the new mainstream/everyday-man group, over XT.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."