What is the different between SRAM XO and Shimano XT?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

What is the different between SRAM XO and Shimano XT?

Anyone can explain between this SRAM XO and Shimano XT 2 brand advantage and disadvantage? Anyone using it can you please give me some advice please?

Thanks...

mtbr member
    I have run both but now only run SRAM X0, personaly I find the shifts are much quicker & smoother, as for XT I would say the shifts are notably quieter but I prefer the X0 sound and the big one is which shifters do you like, the XT is finger & thumb, the X0 is thumb only or grip (I would say this is the main thing people like or dislike about each)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have 09 XT on my bike and my fiance has 09 XO on hers. We've ridden about the same amount of miles, same trails, similar wear/tear on the bikes and same cables. Hers I check a few days before a race or ride and she hasn't needed any adjustments after the first stretch of the cables. Crisp smooth shift, NO adjustments needed. She's crashed hard on hers with no problems.

Me with the XT, I've needed to adjust mine NUMEROUS times throughout the season. I was all about XT until this summer, I built/bought hers piece by piece last winter when we had money for parts. I'll be upgrading mine to either X9 or XO this winter. Just don't know if it'll be 2x10 or 3x9 yet....

Freelance Whatever
    Have used both. Currently have X9/XO on my Dos Niner. Love the crisp feel when you shift. Shifters are very easy to take apart, clean, reassemble. Shimano 9speed stuff was nice cause you could use it with the STI levers for drop bar conversion. Recently demo'd a Pivot 429 w/XT and I absolutely hated the shifting. It's all personal preference, but I prefer the feel of the SRAM "clunk" as opposed to the quiet long pull/push of XT. And the adjustment issue, +1 for SRAM there as well.
    What I do for a living doesn't define me....

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I want to order a bike, but I`m in the dilemma of order it right now with the 2011 Shimano XT Dyna-Sys or wait, I don`t know for how long, for the 2011 SRAM X.O.

What should I do...it is worth waiting for the new SRAM stuff?

mtbr member
    I would wait as the SRAM stuff should be available in about 2 weeks and then make a decision as to which you prefer

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...e-review-26550
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...e-review-25941

Master of Disaster
    The July 2010 issue of What Mountain Bike rates drivetrains this way:

1. SLX = 4 stars (out of 5)...£215 (Winner - Best Value)
    ....SRAM XX = 4 stars........£982 (Winner - Best Performance)
    ....XTR = 4 stars.................£535
    2. Deore XT = 3.5 stars.......£270
    ....Deore = 3.5 stars...........£175
    3. SRAM X0 = 3 stars.........£467
    ....SRAM X9 = 3 stars.........£325
    4. SRAM X7 = 2.5 stars......£247
    ....Microshift = 2.5 stars......£ 77
    5. SRAM X5 = 2 stars.........£184

What Mountain Bike is a serious magazine and the test goes into detailed descriptions to back their value-oriented ratings. I have SRAM on my 29er HT but I've always liked the feel of the Shimanos I've tried. Definitely not what I was expecting to see though.

Both What Mounting Bike and Mountain Bike Rider are awesome magazines providing thorough and critical reviews that don't pull any punches. It's too bad they're both $10-11 an issue at U.S. newsstands but you can dowload past issues of Mountain Bike Rider for free here:
    http://www.magazinesdownload.com/?ta...ain+bike+rider
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jedenton
    I would wait as the SRAM stuff should be available in about 2 weeks and then make a decision as to which you prefer

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...e-review-26550
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...e-review-25941
    2 weeks? the stores I`ve asked said September-October and I don`t think I have the patience...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    The July 2010 issue of What Mountain Bike rates drivetrains this way:

1. SLX = 4 stars (out of 5)...£215 (Winner - Best Value)
    ....SRAM XX = 4 stars........£982 (Winner - Best Performance)
    ....XTR = 4 stars.................£535
    2. Deore XT = 3.5 stars.......£270
    ....Deore = 3.5 stars...........£175
    3. SRAM X0 = 3 stars.........£467
    ....SRAM X9 = 3 stars.........£325
    4. SRAM X7 = 2.5 stars......£247
    ....Microshift = 2.5 stars......£ 77
    5. SRAM X5 = 2 stars.........£184
    Sounds about right.

Many people who dislike Shimano have made up their minds before the Shadow redesign that took care of cable routing and got firmer spring and SLX group that provides excellent value (as noted in the quoted test ratings).

And of course there are limp wristed grip shift users...

j/k

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy

And of course there are limp wristed grip shift users...

j/k

J/K

Master of Disaster
    Here are a couple of interesting video comparisons and in the comments of each you'll see some useful feedback. SRAM is looking pretty good in these videos:

SRAM XO vs Shimano XTR rear derailleur
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQf1bduGYs

SRAM X.5 vs Shimano Deore rear derailleur
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYKvCLC23ww
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    Here are a couple of interesting video comparisons and in the comments of each you'll see some useful feedback. SRAM is looking pretty good in these videos:

SRAM XO vs Shimano XTR rear derailleur
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQf1bduGYs

SRAM X.5 vs Shimano Deore rear derailleur
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYKvCLC23ww

Ah.. the great myth of immovable SRAM. The fact being is that Shimano does additional articulation by design - to obviously no ill effects, as it shifts and holds chain in line just fine. That's just a fact, as any actual user, as opposed to an interwebz pixel peeper, can attest. And Shadow is certainly much better protected from impacts.

I always wondered what authors of those videos tried to imply.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    They both work great. X.0 is rebuildable, and I don't believe XT is. Not that this matters generally, you'll want to change it before you wear it out.

I run X.0, my riding buddy runs XTR. They both work great. I definitely need to adjust mine less (due to the cable pull).

Shimano cassettes are better shifting than SRAM, and unless you are going to shell out for one of those nifty but expensive machined cassettes from SRAM the weight is comparable.

Cuánto pesa?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/urq7qOVrYZs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/urq7qOVrYZs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    I've got a stalker
    Last edited by Jake Pay; 09-23-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Except for 2011 the 10 speed shimano mountain bike derailleurs are no longer the 1:2/2:1 (depending on which way you write it, shifter to derailleur or derailleur to shifter, but 2:1 is the most common) ratios. According to one magazine review, the ratio has changed by about 25-30%, and according to another report I found, the new shifter cables pull about 75% more cable overall than the 9speed models. Either way, they've increased the cable pull and thus reduced the tuning problem for cable stretch/housing flex.

As to the whole "mud/grit" crap from that 2005 article... i never had a problem but then I used housing with good end cap sealing. If anything gripshifters are the ones with the biggest problem with excessive cable friction, which is one reason why SRAM had to start making their own derailleurs in the first place. Shimano wasn't cooperating with them and actually reduced the spring tension in their derailleurs (the light-action shifter era of the mid-90s) to screw over gripshift users. A whole aftermarket industry sprang up from that with replacement derailleur tension springs, fancy sealed housing, bassworms and night crawler cable aids, etc.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Cuánto pesa?
    The Rollamajig...That actually helped Shimmy

Oh god yes, the various roller guides and V-brake noodles and crap people started using.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

It was my response to nino and his signatures which kept changing, as the mods kept giving him warnings to stop posting stuff of his for sale in the weight weenie forum and to stop making out like his **** was the greatest and every competitors was garbage. His signature went from the "I sell lightweight parts" to "I know where to get lightweight parts" to "I may be showing you stuff I sell and thus am biased" before they finally banned him last month.

I've had other signatures...for awhile I used weird US patents (as in actual valid patents the US patent office granted for stupid inventions) such as a fart-powered gun someone thought would make a great invention for kids. Except people on here being often well... dim... thought I was actually selling them.

Members who have read this thread: 1