weird squeak and rust on x01 eagle crankarm- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

weird squeak and rust on x01 eagle crankarm

hey all,
    i got a new 2017 yeti sb6 in january with x01 eagle and today i noticed a weird squeak from the drivetrain. it ONLY happens when i pedal and ONLY when the crank arms are in a particular position. i checked for play on the crank arms and everything seemed tight.

so i decided to pull put the crank arm and noticed a bunch of rust on the wave washer and dust cover. there's a band of rust on the drive side spindle. i spun the bb bearings by hand and they seemed to be smooth.

i decided to clean and regrease the wave washer, all dust covers, crank arm and axle, splines. re-torqued to spec, and now the squeak is gone.

im in northern virginia and tho we generally not a super wet area, we have had a lot of rain in the past 1-2 months.

but im worried about the rust. any1 else have issues like this?

please see photos

weird squeak and rust on x01 eagle crankarm-image00005.jpgweird squeak and rust on x01 eagle crankarm-image00004.jpgweird squeak and rust on x01 eagle crankarm-image00001.jpgweird squeak and rust on x01 eagle crankarm-image00002.jpgweird squeak and rust on x01 eagle crankarm-image00003.jpgweird squeak and rust on x01 eagle crankarm-image00006.jpg
    2017 yeti sb6c turq x01 eagle

Never enough time to ride
    Don't worry too much about the rust, it happens to most SRAM crank set ups. It's going to be pretty normal to get rust on the spindle, wave washer, and the seals. It will come either from sweat dripping on it, humid conditions or wet riding. Only thing you need to worry about is rust coming from the bearings. Just pull them from time to time to clean them up, regrease and you will be, okay.

happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by squish View Post
    Don't worry too much about the rust, it happens to most SRAM crank set ups. It's going to be pretty normal to get rust on the spindle, wave washer, and the seals. It will come either from sweat dripping on it, humid conditions or wet riding. Only thing you need to worry about is rust coming from the bearings. Just pull them from time to time to clean them up, regrease and you will be, okay.

happy trails...

Josh
    thanks for the advice. im assuming the bearings are pressed in so taking them out of the frame for cleaning will require a bearing puller or a tool. i did see some rust on the bearings which i tried to show in the last picture. i'll have to stay on top of the greasing then. thanks again
    2017 yeti sb6c turq x01 eagle

Never enough time to ride
    If you wanted to clean out the bearing you can, very carefully, remove the bearing seal and put fresh grease in them. But be careful not to bend the seal or it will be mostly useless.

happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!