Truvativ Noir chain ring conversion?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Truvativ Noir chain ring conversion?

Does anyone offer a chain ring conversion to change a truvativ noir triple chainset to a double? I want ideally 39/40 big ring and a 26 small ring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I used Specialties TA Chinook chainrings with good results on my Noir crankset to convert from triple to double. I used a 28/40 combo in the granny/middle positions with an X9 front derailleur. Shifting was fantastic. I did try a 26/40 combo but the shifting significantly dropped off. The 14 tooth jump must have been a bit too much. It seemed like the shift ramps just couldn't pick the chain up reliably.

A word of warning. To secure the 40 in the middle position use the stock chainring bolts designed for a triple setup and some chainring spacers on the outside of the spider. This gives support to the chainring tabs. There is a known problem with the chainring tabs bending on Noir cranks when running a single ring with single ring bolts. SRAM will probably warranty it, but they could easily point the finger at the crankset not being designed for this use. Will save you the hassle of a warranty claim and potentially being out of pocket for a new crankset if it's knocked back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the advice, that answers a few questions. I was looking at 26-40 but will probably give that a miss now and go 26-38.

Can you point me in the direction of chainring spacers?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...cer+Bag20.aspx

that kind of thing. 2mm should do the job nicely.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i'm running my Truvativ NOIR with 2x9 ...24 & 36 setup (Using the Race Face chain ring set)

Members who have read this thread: 0