Too Stiff Rockshox SID XX Solo Air- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Too Stiff Rockshox SID XX Solo Air

My 75 pound daughter has been riding a 2016 RS SID XX Solo Air 100mm on her 27.5" wheeled bike. We ride a lot, and she probably has a couple thousand miles on it. It was a decently plush fork for her at very low pressures (25-30 psi), but now it is having problems. I'm not sure how long it has been having issues, but noticed it last night. Even at low pressures, the fork is hard for me (210 pounds) to move. This is the one with the XLoc remote, but if I release the plunger I can't move it at all, which is what it should be doing. So I don't think it is the XLoc remote.

The other issue is that even when no one is on the bike, it sits at more than 30% sag. If I pump it up to 125psi and pull the top part of the shock away from the bottom half, it will stay at 0% sag. It is also next to impossible for me to get the fork to move at 125psi. But as soon as I lower the air pressure back down to 30psi, it goes back to >30% sag, and still too stiff.

Anyone have any ideas what to try? I tried removing all the air and then pumping back up high to try and equalize the negative chamber (does this even have a negative chamber), but that didn't work. We are taking off to Moab tomorrow, so really need to get this working ASAP. I've seen others say that SID forks come with a very small amount of suspension oil, could this be my issue? Do I just need to tear it apart and add some oil and lube the bushings?

Thanks for any info, as I don't want my daughter riding a rigid fork in Moab - BS

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So if the Xloc is not broken/in need of a bleed then, it's the air spring.

Step one. Run a ziptie down the seal on the air spring side. I'm guessing there is 100psi of air under the leg acting as a 2nd air spring. You will hear a pppppsssstttt. See if the fork works.

Step two. If the fork does not work, i'd rebuild the air spring with new seals. Extra air is probably moving to the negative chamber causing that sag. If you need to fix it now and don't have parts. pull the lowers, remove the air spring. grease all the seals, reinstall air spring.

This is an old video but should explain it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tUUhHR2FbM

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I finally got the fork back to it more plush feeling. I went about the process of trying to service the lowers, but could never get the bottom half to separate from the top half no matter how much I pounded on the retaining bolts (that were four turns unloosened). Still was having the issue with fork being sucked into almost 0" of travel remaining or 100% sag, and saw a small schraeder value on the bottom of the disc brake side leg. Even though no air was in the top chamber, there was still a decent amount of air in this chamber. As soon as I bled it off, the fork extended to 0% sag. I then aired up the fork to 50 psi, and it felt great.

So I gave up on servicing the fork and when I got it installed back onto my daughter's bike, it felt like it did when we first got it, fairly plush for a 100mm XC fork.

Thanks again for the suggestion. And please let me know if I screwed up her fork, or if there is anything else I can try to do to get the lowers to separate from the upper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If you have an air valve at the bottom then it's not a solo air it's a dual air and you need to manually balance + and - air pressures.