SRAM XX1 EAGLE broken pulley wheel! Is it happened to anybody else?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

SRAM XX1 EAGLE broken pulley wheel! Is it happened to anybody else?

During my todays ride i was hammering with hard gear in very rooty section when all of suddenly my drivetrain jammed, first thing thought that some stick went between somewhere but didnt see nothing, only chain was on different gearing on the cassette ? And then i noticed WTF? My lower pulley wheel is broken! First of has anybody else have had this happened, and WHY this happened ? Only possibility that i can think of is that some stick or rock got between ?? Drivetrain is 700km/435miles old, still original chain ( chain tool doesnt show 0,5 wear yet ). What is even more disturbing , is the fact that replacement wheels cost 80euros!!!!
    SRAM XX1 EAGLE broken pulley wheel! Is it happened to anybody else?-35078207_10211870851431517_5955560227121135616_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Most likely something got stuck in there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My jockey wheels are also chewed up. Iíve been searching but no reasonably priced options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Supposedly GX wheels are exactly the same, bbut doesnt have ceramic bearings like xx1 ones

mtbr member
    I have XX1 1x11 and just had took break off my jockey wheel. Replaced at my shop for $45 using X01 component. This not eagle, but similar. I noticed noting as the bike was in the shop for something else and got noticed.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Eagle lower pulleys are JUNK. They have revised them with a much better design. Warranty it. Mine jammed up for no reason, ruined the pulley and I had to walk 4 miles. My wife also had her chain bail off the lower pulley, lucky she didn't actually damage it.

what happened is the chain fell off the lower pulley then jammed between the pulley and the cage, damaging the pulley

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well i already bought new ones, and they are indeed revised, lower pulley now has a lip : https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/p...dium/47446.jpg

Unfortunately my derailleur was also bent from that! One of the 4 pins/rivets or whatever you call them, was totally C shaped, but fortunately they had damaged eagle derailleur at the shop that i got the spare pin from. But the shifting still seems like it isn't perfect, have to try to play with b-screw little bit. ( To be fair it wasn't perfect before also ).

I wouldn't think the warrany claim would be useful here, they are probably 99% going to tell that it was your fault ( which it probably was when stick got stuck somewhere ? ) and i have good relationships with the shop also, so i wouldn't want to shout there.

All in all i'm fairly happy that i leaved the shop with 85eur bill for new pulleys and about 1.5hr work for finding the reason for bent RD and fixing it! Not 300 euros for new RD! But taking all things in consideration, eagle is really finicky about everything and it sucks! Although when it works it's brilliant!