SRAM XX for trail/AM bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

SRAM XX for trail/AM bikes?

Is it a good/bad idea to put SRAM XX components trail bike (140mm travel), or are they meant primarily for XC bikes?

Would it be a good idea to put all XX components on a trail bike, or are there some components that won't be durable enough?

Are there some XX components that will work well regardless of what bike they're put on (e.g. brakes)?

Thanks for your help.

Cuánto pesa?

Personally IMHO, I'd go with the new XO or X9 10 speed set ups with the front dérailleurs
    designed to go with either 2x10 or 3x10...Or even the new X7 10speed that you and I can beat the sh</>it out of without the high cost of the XX racing mechs....

The XX series is (IMO) more for the light weight (dedicated) XC race bike(s).

I myself am considering an XO front derailure so I can change up to my 22x32x44 rings for those steep trails that we find ourselives in the middle of from time ti time..

Just my 5 cents to throw about

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks. What about the brakes? Any difference between them and the Elixirs?

Also, money is not an issue (because my friend, who's building a bike, can get SRAM parts very cheap).

You know my steez...

Why not?

If I didn't love my X9/ X0 stuff that I'm running now I'd have no hesitation putting XX on my trail bike. I do have an XX front derailleur that works great with my new 2X9 set up. It's almost as light as the road derailleur I tried to use but I was unsuccessful...
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good thread, I was just sifting around this place... basically seeking the same answer.

I'm currently riding a 2010 Enduro, XO all around and XT Crankset: 2X9.
    I have the option to purchase a new XX Crankset w/ BB30... my question is:

Could I run this XX crank with my XO gear? Or does it have to be the new 10 speed gear, basically to match?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You will need new XX gear.
    I am considering to go full XX, however the cost is huge, considering the fact that i can't recycle any of my X9 gear (which is faily new).
    I am waiting for sram to release the new X0.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slvrathlon
    Good thread, I was just sifting around this place... basically seeking the same answer.

I'm currently riding a 2010 Enduro, XO all around and XT Crankset: 2X9.
    I have the option to purchase a new XX Crankset w/ BB30... my question is:

Could I run this XX crank with my XO gear? Or does it have to be the new 10 speed gear, basically to match?
    You're not worried about the carbon fiber crank arms? I guess it's mixed in with aluminum, but I don't know what that means really...

Crank arms get abused a lot. Are carbon cranks strong enough nowadays to withstand more aggressive riding? I'm just asking, I don't have an opinion one way or another. Anyone have some first-hand knowledge?

Members who have read this thread: 0