SRAM XX Specialized version compatability vs Q-rings, confused...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

SRAM XX Specialized version compatability vs Q-rings, confused...

Apologies if you guys already covered this...I have a few questions I hope some of you might be able to help with.

I want to replace the 42/28 with the 39/26 chain rings and it seems they are sold out everywhere. However, I found the Specialized version 39/26 including "spider" is available.

Can't I just take the spider off the Specialized set-up and shouldn't the two chain rings be the same as the SRAM XX Truvativ ones on my crank?

Next, I see there are Q-rings? I didn't even know there was an aftermarket company?? Do these defeat the "sync'ed" SRAM system? or is the synchronized shifting retained with the Q-rings in 39/26 size?

Where can you buy Q-rings, I googled them but it didn't seem like they are widely available?

Lastly, off-topic, but I had to get 175mm crank arms. My inseam is about 29.5" to 30" roughly...do you guys think I should really have 170mm cranks? Do you think 175mm is appropriate for 30" inseam depending on personal preference?

mtbr member
    The Specialized S-Works MTB spider is a 5-arm spider, whilst the XX spider has 4 arms.

Below you can see a picture of my S-Works 5-arm spider with red, 40/27T Q-Rings. These are exlusively made for the 5-arm Specialized spider. You can always mount an S-Works XX spider (specific for Specialized !) and fit 40/27T XX Q-Rings, available in black only or just plain XX Rings. Don't know about the syncing, but the Q-Rings do shift very smooth and the newer generation for the XX cranks should be even better.

Since I live in Belgium and distribution of Q-Rings is horrible over here, I ordered them from the French distributor, RotorFrance.

People living in South Africa can order them via Burry Stander who is the exclusive importer over there. Other countries I don't know, you can always contact https://www.rotorbike.com. They have super customer service and reply within 1 or 2 days.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Don't listen to that other reply, he misunderstood your question.

1. Yes, you can pull the rings off the Specialized/Truvativ XX spider and use them on your XX crank

2. The synced shifting is proprietary to the XX chainrings, the Rotor rings don't have this feature. You give up the synced shifting in exchange for the benefits of elliptical chainrings.

3. You can buy Q-Rings direct from Rotor: http://www.cart32hostingred.com/cgi-...atid=255931970

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry
    Don't listen to that other reply, he misunderstood your question.

1. Yes, you can pull the rings off the Specialized/Truvativ XX spider and use them on your XX crank

2. The synced shifting is proprietary to the XX chainrings, the Rotor rings don't have this feature. You give up the synced shifting in exchange for the benefits of elliptical chainrings.

3. You can buy Q-Rings direct from Rotor: http://www.cart32hostingred.com/cgi-...atid=255931970
    Thanks scaryjerry

1. so one is not 5 arm and the other 4? I have the 4 arm I guess...whichever one came with the Travativ XX crank.

2. I do not know what to do. I am leaning towards the 39/26 SRAM for synced shifting. I am concerned about the Qrings. Some reports say they do not shift well and some say they do. Do you think one is giving up a lot in the synced SRAM vs.elliptical Qring? which is better? great shifting or mediocre shifting and a better power profile?

also, should I care that the Qring is 40/27? and not 39/26? I am afraid I will not have the power I need for steep, long climbs. I am a sport rider who depends on the granny gear a lot.

3. thanks, I finally found that place. I guess google does work

mtbr member
    Ah ok, I briefly looked over your question and thought you had the 5- arm spider on your S-Works crank like I did.

40/27T is no problem for steep climbs. Rotor claims that with their eliptical design, you can ride +1 teeth compared to round rings.

Shifting really is top notch. I have the XX- rings on my Cannondale Flash and don't really notice any difference between the XX-rings and the Q-Rings. I do think the XX-rings last longer, the Q-Rings seem to wear faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow
    Ah ok, I briefly looked over your question and thought you had the 5- arm spider on your S-Works crank like I did.

40/27T is no problem for steep climbs. Rotor claims that with their eliptical design, you can ride +1 teeth compared to round rings.

Shifting really is top notch. I have the XX- rings on my Cannondale Flash and don't really notice any difference between the XX-rings and the Q-Rings. I do think the XX-rings last longer, the Q-Rings seem to wear faster.
    this is a tough decision. due more to finances than anything else, I might just do the "specialized" spider 39/26 combo and take spider off for my standard XX cranks. I just want confirmation I can do this. It sounds like you guys are saying "yes"

mad...cow, what do you make of some of the bad reports of the shifting? some say dropped chain? I hate getting polar opposite reviews. I tend to set my stuff up very nicely and do not anticipate a problem...but if it is inherent in the design than it would not be my fault.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    FWIW, the XX chainrings in 39 and 26 are supposed to be shipping to distributors by June 7th. I'd say just wait a week and get the right bits you need and not fuss with the spider!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Chain Suck

Running the 2x10 Rotor set up on my Epic, with KMC chain, anyone having chain suck issues?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 2HEAVY
    Running the 2x10 Rotor set up on my Epic, with KMC chain, anyone having chain suck issues?
    how is the shifting?

do you like the rotor rings?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Up shifting is great. Under race pace conditions, dropping from big to small, chain sucks up past the chain sta-if I am not careful. Thinking of changing to a PC-1090.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 2HEAVY
    Up shifting is great. Under race pace conditions, dropping from big to small, chain sucks up past the chain sta-if I am not careful. Thinking of changing to a PC-1090.
    how do you feel about the proposed benefit of the rings?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I do feel the Rotor Rings allow me to go deeper into the pain cave. I'm a bigger guy and they seem to help me with the lactate burn at the end of a max effort.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I currently have the 5 arm spider with the Red Q-rings. I'm running a Sram 1090 Chain; I get chain suck when shifting from the Big ring to small all the time. It's very frustrating!!!! I'm buying the Truvativ spider and selling the Q rings. Any added benefit is lost when dealing with the chainsuck.

mtbr member
    That's really odd, as I never had any chainsuck with my Q-Rings, and am running the same SRAM 1090 chain. You don't shift under load, do you? Chainlube I use is Squirt

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    as a follow up:

Thanks for everyone's help, I decided to try shorter crank arms so I am basically forced to XTR cranks, XTR fd, XO rd, XTR cassette, XO grip shifters

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have another question regarding XX-Crank.
    Today the bigges ring combination is 28-42T.
    Do you know if bigger rings from other producers is available?
    What I am looking for is 44T, 45T or 46T.

mtbr member
    SRAM makes no front derailleur for rings larger than 42T ...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow
    SRAM makes no front derailleur for rings larger than 42T ...
    That is aqually not my question.
    My question is if any ring producers, makes 44T - 45T - 46T that fits the Sram XX Crank.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Weren't there supposed to be 45x30 XX chainrings at some point? Maybe Sram scrapped the idea as I see that on p. 22 of the XX Technical Manual (PDF) they only list 42x28 and 39x26.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Good friend of mine has the Q rings on a Rotor 3D crank. He too has terrible chainsuck coming from the big ring to the small ring. The chain doesn't release properly from the large ring if he isn't careful.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Custom chainrings are available from here: http://www.highpath.co.uk/

Warning: the price may not be reasonable! (They're supposed to be good though.)

Members who have read this thread: 0