Sram XX - Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Sram XX - Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon

Does anyone have experience with the 09' Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon frame compatibility with the Sram XX cranks and drivetrain? Specifically, will the Q-156 cranks work with either the 26-39 or 28-42 chainrings? I have done some measurements and it appears the crank will work in either the Q-155 or Q-166 format (unless I am missing something in terms of the swing arm cycle). If so, which crank/chainring combo has been used and which provides best chainline, etc. If not compatible, why not?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Speedgoat.com has researched this. Look it up there or email them.

SS Pusher Man
    Do a search on the SC website:

http://santacruzbicycles.com/blurxc_...?faq=1&ID=0236

Is the new Sram XX group compatible with the Blur XC carbon?

Yes, but you must use the standard Q-factor version of the cranks (166mm). There is chainring clearance with the 26/39 tooth and 28/42 tooth chainring sets, but the 30/45 will have interference issues.
    There is only 2-3mm (much less than we typically require) clearance for the 42t ring, so in general the 39t setup will be a safer bet. However, we haven't seen any actual issues with the 42 to date.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks Guys!

Along the same lines, now all I have to decide is weather the 156 Q is going to be comfortable, given all my other rides have cranks w/ a Q factor of more like 169-171 (Shimano XTR, Race Face Next Sl and FSA Carbon lite). I experimented by measuring my normal "gate" by standing in my cycling shoes in a comfortable similar riding crouch and measured the distance betwween my cleats at 270-280 mm. The XTR pedals I run have a spindle to pedal center line of 55, so doing the math I get 280- (55 x2) = 170mm. So it would seem that the 166Q version of the XX Crank would better suit me and not feel too differen between bikes. On the other hand my road crank is at 150-Q. Seems everyone is excited about getting a mountain crank to 155Q, but is it really that much of an ergonomic advantage?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I received my 10' Sram xx crankset today (26/39) 156- Q and found the install on the Santa Cruz Blur Carbon frame to fit perfectly. Interesting though, it required the use of a 1.5 mm spacer on the drive side (only) as opposed to no spacers as called for in the instructions. With the spacer, however the crank lines up perfectly and provided the advertised chainline and about 4 mm clearance at the crank arm/ chainstay. The resulting Q actually measures more like 159-160 vs, the spec'd 156, which is better for me anyhow. Bottom line is that the wider 166mm Q version of the crank is not really necessary (as previously stated by Santa Cruz) and would result in more like 8-9 mm chainstay clearance, which is a little excessive in my view. So, I am glad I followed the Speedgoat lead and went with the narrower crank. BTH the Sram GXP ceramic BB is buttery smooth too!

SS Pusher Man
    Is there enough clearance if you get chainsuck without destroying the frame?
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The chainring clearance is identical for both XX cranks (156 and 166 Q). I have measured the chainline to be exactly per Sram Spec and plenty of chainring clearance with the 26/39 rings. I cannot say either way with the 29/42, however.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    does anybody know what Qfactor i should use on my Cannondale Rush?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Any long term experience with SRAM XX with Q156mm cranks? Preferably with 42-28 rings? Any issues etc. that you've encountered...yes I'm aware of the SC official recommendation, but narrower q-factor would be much nicer (and closer that I'm used with my road bike).

Would like some opinion before clicking the order button

Thanks a lot for all comments!

Members who have read this thread: 0