Sram XX drivetrain with XTR chain///- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Sram XX drivetrain with XTR chain///

Hey guys. I know that in the crankset it says to only be used with sram Chain.... Since I have not been lucky with Sram chain in the past... I have always used XTR/Dura-Ace chain..

Have anyone try using an XTR chain with new sram XX, any difference in performance, or shifting issues....?

SS Pusher Man
    The XTR/DA cn-7700 chain is 9 speed.....SRAM XX is 10 speed. The 9 speed chain will be too wide and cause shifting issues. You should be able to use the Ultegra or DA 10 speed chains without any problem.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

Former Bike Wrench
    Correct, you need to use a 10 speed chain...Shimano, KMC, Connex 10 speed chains will all work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm sorry I meant the 7900 series chain the 10 speed dura-ace....

I just want to hear if someone have use it with sram XX and notice any differece in shifting....

thanks

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian21
    I'm sorry I meant the 7900 series chain the 10 speed dura-ace....
    You'll be correct when the 2011 XTR comes out

cyco biker

Which SRAM have you had bad luck with?

The SRAM hollow pin chains are not good choices for mountain biking. They just seem to break more often than the step pin or solid pin chains & they stretch out sooner as well. In their 10 speed line-up you need to get a 1050 to be at the solid pin level. SRAM designs the XX around their chain width which is 5.95 mm wide. Shimano's 10 speed chains are 6.1mm wide. They work but are a bit (& I emphasize "a bit") more sluggish because of the wider spacing. Campy's chains are bomber & only 5.9mm wide but way pricey. The KMC's are only 5.88mm wide work great as well & are more reasonably priced. I still like to use the SRAM gold power lock in all these cases.
    My hobby is keeping wood alive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTrainer
    I still like to use the SRAM gold power lock in all these cases.
    exactly how are you using a 9 speed gold powerlink on a 10 speed chain?

i'm using 10 speed wipperman connex link on my SRAM XX drivetrain.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    exactly how are you using a 9 speed gold powerlink on a 10 speed chain?

i'm using 10 speed wipperman connex link on my SRAM XX drivetrain.
    Read more carefully

I still like to use the SRAM gold power lock in all these cases.

power lock=10 speed

power link=9 speed

cyco biker
    Sorry about that. I'm color blind. The 10 Speed Power Locks are Black & they work fine with the other 10 speed chains out there.

A few years ago I had a bad run of Connex links &, although I've heard success stories since, I've shyed away from them. That said, SRAM's Black Power Locks had a recall on the ones stamped w/ a tiny "M" or "N". If you have one go to your LBS & they should be able to exchange it.

mtbr member
    sorry about the confusion and my lack of reading comprehension

Iím anal retentive about having a spotless and clean shifting drive train so I like to remove my chain for a thorough cleaning in solvent the powerLOCK doesnít allow for one to remove clean and reinstall like the powerLINKS do.

Iíve found the wipperman connex chain link to be most sufficient for 10 speed chains if you like to remove the chain for cleaning. I was nonplussed with the wipperman 10 speed chain thoí.

cyco biker
    The Power Locks are less convenient but I've been using the Park MLP-1 tool (As in Master Link Plier) regularly, even for the quick links, & it makes life way easier & allows reuse of the Power locks. Last summer I put 3000 road miles on one link (or is that Lock?), cleaning it weekly & have many other customers (hopefully) popping them regularly with no problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The SRAM hollow pin chains are not good choices for mountain biking. They just seem to break more often than the step pin or solid pin chains & they stretch out sooner as well. In their 10 speed line-up you need to get a 1050 to be at the solid pin level. SRAM designs the XX around their chain width which is 5.95 mm wide. Shimano's 10 speed chains are 6.1mm wide. They work but are a bit (& I emphasize "a bit") more sluggish because of the wider spacing. Campy's chains are bomber & only 5.9mm wide but way pricey. The KMC's are only 5.88mm wide work great as well & are more reasonably priced. I still like to use the SRAM gold power lock in all these cases.

I had issues with the one from 2008, I don't remember which was was it, but it was expensive, that I do remember...... the problem was at the powerlink connector, I broke my chain twice when I decided to go with the XTR and I have never broke a chain since... But your explanation helps.

thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I just replaced my SRAM pc 1090r chain at 500 miles with an Ultegra chain, hoping to get a little more life than 500 miles out of this chain

Members who have read this thread: 0